New to forum and have a couple questions.

New to the forum here and theres a ton of great info on here! 

I live in Maine and haven't had a bike of any sort since I was in the HS...roughly 21 years ago. I am a middle school teacher and I have a few students who constantly are showing me pictures of bikes and sleds they have or want to buy and I got the itch to have something to tinker with in my garage. 

Contacted a guy who has a 1983 xl200r for sale for $225. Runs and goes but theres a few interesting things about this and I haven't been able to find a ton of info on this. Could be that its a rare thing or that Im just not searching for the info the most efficient way. 

Bike is 1983 xl200r, but has a 1982 atc185s running it.  Pull start on motor. 

Does this mean that the ATC is like an automatic transmission so I won't have to work the clutch or shift?

Will I have to shift gears but not clutch?

Could it be possible that the tranny is from the original 200 motor and the atc185s is connected to the original tranny. 

Its probably pretty obvious that I don't know much but I am excited and looking forward to tearing into something and tinkering / sharing with the boys in my class that don't want to talk about anything unless it has a motor. 

Also, I was wondering what the difference beween the XR200 and the xl200r is? Seems like lots of parts fit across different years. 

Thanks in advance. I will be able to post some pictures tomorrow night or the night after once I pick this bike up from the seller.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Stevethe- I am hoping that there is some wiggle room on the price. Otherwise there isn't much in Maine that is within the price range that I have to work with. Im already going to be bringing this home with out letting my better half know and Id be in some serious mess if I spent more then $225 on it.  

Here is link to the ad. It has a pretty grainy photo of the bike. It does look to have clutch lever on the handle but Ill know more when I go to look at it and hopefully buy it. 

http://unclehenrys.com/classified/4160473/classified?back=%2Fsearch%2FMotorcycles%3Fsr%3D24616000%234160473

What a mess.

To the OP, if you want to ride, buy a proper bike. A thousand bucks will get you something that works. You'll still need to tinker with it but it will perform as it should and allow for enjoyable rides.

If you want to tinker with something or create something, do the research and create something worthwile. A KDX engine in a KX chassis is a project that is worth the time and dollar investment. Guys have built them from 100% cheap ebay parts and had a good bike with good resale when they were done. An XR250 engine in a CRF250R or 450R chassis is a good project too. It's been done, there are writeups on the build and they are a special bike when finished.

The bike you are looking at isn't worth spending any time or money on. It's what we call a 'morphodite' - junk made from junk grafted together.

What a mess.

To the OP, if you want to ride, buy a proper bike. A thousand bucks will get you something that works. You'll still need to tinker with it but it will perform as it should and allow for enjoyable rides.

If you want to tinker with something or create something, do the research and create something worthwile. A KDX engine in a KX chassis is a project that is worth the time and dollar investment. Guys have built them from 100% cheap ebay parts and had a good bike with good resale when they were done. An XR250 engine in a CRF250R or 450R chassis is a good project too. It's been done, there are writeups on the build and they are a special bike when finished.

The bike you are looking at isn't worth spending any time or money on. It's what we call a 'morphodite' - junk made from junk grafted together.

Here's my perspective.. project bikes are always more than you bargain for.  I'm not against you buying a bike to tinker with, play with and work on.. bc man time in the garage is important!!  But SandLvrORGayGuy, I gotta say he's right.  You never wanna put a lot of effort into a machine that has no resale value.  I found that out with my 2006 Gas Gas 300.. couldn't give that bike away for a price.

Always think long term, and here's the key.. don't lose sight of what tinkering is for--a competitive fun bike to ride!!  You'll find a lot fo bikes that run for $1000, and you can really ride them as opposed to duck paddling your way though the woods on an ATC motored dirt bike. 

Let us know what you do!  Welcome to our cultic community.  We love newcomers... :devil:

• Like 2

Another mainer welcome. Tinkering is good and all but you may want to look at newer bikes. Sometimes the older ones take some time to source parts. Maybe a 90s 125 would be more fitting with a more modern suspension and will hold some value after restoring it although most restorations will cost more than the bike will bring back in resale so make it something that interests you beyond bringing back to life

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input on this, I appreciate it. I stayed up way past late last night reading as much as I could and trying to figure out roughly how much it would cost to buy parts enough to build a new engine. I gotta say I am tempted but I think the smart thing to do is take the advice of those who have probably done what I am thinking. 

I will keep my search going and hopefully be able to squirrel away some other money in the mean time. 

KP

• Like 2

Thank you for all the input on this, I appreciate it. I stayed up way past late last night reading as much as I could and trying to figure out roughly how much it would cost to buy parts enough to build a new engine. I gotta say I am tempted but I think the smart thing to do is take the advice of those who have probably done what I am thinking.

I will keep my search going and hopefully be able to squirrel away some other money in the mean time.

KP

This is smart. Spending $800 now will save you money in the long run. Plus, you will like the bike better when you're riding.