Best Tire for Ocotilla Wells/Plaster City

Since Im gonna be picking up my new bike next week and bringing it out to CA while Im here... better order up some good tires for it!  Whats everyone running out in the SoCal desert thats doing well?  When I was in CA back in 2005ish I was running Maxxis Desert ITs and loving them.  Wondering if anything better has come along in recent years?  If it makes a difference... Ill be running them on a 500cc ditch digger!

• Like 2

Dunlop 908 front and RC81 rear with Tubliss system. 3 PSI rear/6PSI front Beta 498

Dunlop MX71 front RC81 rear with Tubliss system. 3 PSI rear/6PSI front on the KTM 300

Is the sweet tire combo set up... However an HD tube with 14PSI is what I run... 3 PSI, you crazy !!!!!

Is the sweet tire combo set up... However an HD tube with 14PSI is what I run... 3 PSI, you crazy !!!!!

I thought so too until I tried it. I rode with a AA rider that goes 0psi and a 739 desert in the rear with Tubliss. 3psi is the sweet spot for me. The MX71 front has really been a great tire on my 300. The low pressures give a whole new meaning to traction and "feet up" cornering. One of the big reasons I'm a lot slower than most is my riding style. I try my hardest to stand and keep my feet planted on the pegs even in tight corners.

Nothing wrong with UHD tube and 14psi. I ran those kind of pressures for many years. 

I thought so too until I tried it. I rode with a AA rider that goes 0psi and a 739 desert in the rear with Tubliss. 3psi is the sweet spot for me. The MX71 front has really been a great tire on my 300. The low pressures give a whole new meaning to traction and "feet up" cornering. One of the big reasons I'm a lot slower than most is my riding style. I try my hardest to stand and keep my feet planted on the pegs even in tight corners.

Nothing wrong with UHD tube and 14psi. I ran those kind of pressures for many years. 

I do a lap here and a lap there with feet on pegs for practice but I usually just end up squaring it up when I do.. takes some good skill to ride like that on the track at speed.

As far as the PSI.. I run that in Ocotillo and well pretty much everywhere unless its the track and then I drop it to 11.5 or 12..  I go through wheels otherwise ...

Totally agree with you on that 71.. That waffle tread keeps a lot of rubber in contact with the hard pack .. I feel like it is as predictable as any tire for feel ... Its not very confidence inspiring at a nicely prepped track though .... I was sketchy at best at Pala after they throw down the water ...

You ever ride with SpeedFreek ?? He does the feet on pegs and also runs the rear at like 1 psi.. I thought he had a flat ...  I would be buying wheel sets like grips.....

• Like 3

I do a lap here and a lap there with feet on pegs for practice but I usually just end up squaring it up when I do.. takes some good skill to ride like that on the track at speed.

As far as the PSI.. I run that in Ocotillo and well pretty much everywhere unless its the track and then I drop it to 11.5 or 12..  I go through wheels otherwise ...

Totally agree with you on that 71.. That waffle tread keeps a lot of rubber in contact with the hard pack .. I feel like it is as predictable as any tire for feel ... Its not very confidence inspiring at a nicely prepped track though .... I was sketchy at best at Pala after they throw down the water ...

You ever ride with SpeedFreek ?? He does the feet on pegs and also runs the rear at like 1 psi.. I thought he had a flat ...  I would be buying wheel sets like grips.....

MX-71 is a horrible piece of rubber! When you weight 120 lbs you can run any pressure you want! Almost....Got bibs front and rear in the YZ. Ordering another set for the KX, gonna race that this weekend in the HBMC Dual Euro Red bar debut. I'd be happy with top 8!   

I have tried the MX71 front and rear and hated it....I'll never run another one EVER! 

MX-71 is a horrible piece of rubber! When you weight 120 lbs you can run any pressure you want! Almost....Got bibs front and rear in the YZ. Ordering another set for the KX, gonna race that this weekend in the HBMC Dual Euro Red bar debut. I'd be happy with top 8!

I have tried the MX71 front and rear and hated it....I'll never run another one EVER!

Hush your mouth !!! Don't hate on that little desert beauty ...

See your rear tire , it's orange from plugs ... No tire is gonna hold up to that abuse .. You need to ride in less harsh conditions .. Yeah, yeah that's it , less harsh conditions ... Lol

• Like 1

Hush your mouth !!! Don't hate on that little desert beauty ...

See your rear tire , it's orange from plugs ... No tire is gonna hold up to that abuse .. You need to ride in less harsh conditions .. Yeah, yeah that's it , less harsh conditions ... Lol

Yes. Going to race the KX his weekend in the Scrambles so time for new meat! Rear tire got finished off in Havasu. Plugs are like little tread, they benefit in many ways....

They sell tires with plugs in them already? I don't like flats

Yes , but they are fairly expensive relative to the cost of a traditional (no plug) tire.. I'm sponsored and will hook you up with a few of mine for cost ;-)
  • Like 1

Sweet are you sponsored

pretty sure he just said he was sponsored lol                                          \/--------------\/

Yes , but they are fairly expensive relative to the cost of a traditional (no plug) tire.. I'm sponsored and will hook you up with a few of mine for cost ;-)

pretty sure he just said he was sponsored lol /--------------/

He typed sponsored...watch imma get sponsored too and get some sweet pre-plugged tires just wait till I get older you will want my autograph