Sign in to follow this  

SheetIron 300 & CRF250L: How to

Seeking guidance on how and if a CRF250L can do the Sheetiron 300 this year.   I have a BMW Xchallenge, but that Clysedale is too tall for me.  I really love how the Honda feels, so much fun although underpowered.

Article about the Sheetiron 300

So, what would you do to prep the CRF?  Here are the specs on my bike today:

Year: 2014

Miles: 600 only.  Did first oil and filter change yesterday

Mods:

1. Acerbis Handguards
  2. Flatland radiator guard and skid plate
  3. DRC fender eliminator
  4. Tail rack

That's it.  Stock everything else including suspension (which is really stiff)

Thanks in advance.

Bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

Edited by ajphilipp

whats a sheet iron 300?

being in California, am I correct in that regulations there prevent doing what's needed to get the bike to run right?

there are simple modifications that free the beast and make a huge improvement power wise but they also eliminate any real form of emissions control.

the LRP suspension feels stiff but on big hits or jumps it is quite soft. 

Acerbis 3 gallon gas tank!

Edited by focus frenzy

I assume you already have tools, spare front tube, tire irons, extra fuel, know how to ride, etc.

I'd add a folding shift lever, or carry a spare OEM one. 13/42 gearing will make life easier, but stock will work.

Just a suggestion, but after you get the bike set up, take it down to Hollister hills for a day, see how it all shakes out.

You should be ok doing the 300 as long as you take the easy splits thru Stony, Middle creek and Cow mountain, the stock suspension doesn't work well in the rough stuff.

Have fun, report back when your done!

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1

Thanks Focus Frenzy and Humbug.   Will take out for a few practise runs and get a feel for it.  Maybe I'll look at lowering the Xchallenge that I have, but there is something just so fun about the Honda.

I've started setting up my CRF250L for the same type of riding. Just to make it clear I haven't riden it full mod yet as it's currently at Racetech getting the Full Monty. Here is what I have so far, some came w the bike;

1. Tires Kenda 760 DOT knobbies. HD bridgestone tubes. Prolite locs.

2. Folding shifter

3. Moose pro plate

4. Flatland Radiator Guard.

5. RT Full Monty

6. Acerbis Tank

7. 40 mic pre filter, stage 1 filter mod

8. Stage 1 Snokel mod.

9. EJK

10. FMF exhaust

11. HDB handguards

12. Renthal Fatbars /riser.

13. 13/42 sprockets.

I'm a noob to dirt and I'm setting this bike up exclusively for DS events...mostly dirt. As I ride and gain experience I'll post whats working for me, and what isn't. I'm also more of a tortoise and less of a rabbit. The bike is already well past my skill level, which says more about my skill level :) than the bike.

• Like 6

I've started setting up my CRF250L for the same type of riding. Just to make it clear I haven't riden it full mod yet as it's currently at Racetech getting the Full Monty. Here is what I have so far, some came w the bike;

1. Tires Kenda 760 DOT knobbies. HD bridgestone tubes. Prolite locs.

2. Folding shifter

3. Moose pro plate

4. Flatland Radiator Guard.

5. RT Full Monty

6. Acerbis Tank

7. 40 mic pre filter, stage 1 filter mod

8. Stage 1 Snokel mod.

9. EJK

10. FMF exhaust

11. HDB handguards

12. Renthal Fatbars /riser.

13. 13/42 sprockets.

I'm a noob to dirt and I'm setting this bike up exclusively for DS events...mostly dirt. As I ride and gain experience I'll post whats working for me, and what isn't. I'm also more of a tortoise and less of a rabbit. The bike is already well past my skill level, which says more about my skill level :) than the bike.

Thanks for the post Migolito, sounds like we have the same idea in mind.   I was thinking stock pipe 'cause I heard a lot of people thought aftermarkets were too loud.    You doing Sheetiron 300?  I'm relatively new to dirt also, trying to put a small group together.  We're in NorCal.

• Like 1

Where ya at? I'm in Elk Grove. Might get together and go abuse some tires.

• Like 1

Where ya at? I'm in Elk Grove. Might get together and go abuse some tires.

Hey Samtech, 

I've bit over an hour west, Marin/Novato.    Will PM you.  

Make sure your bike can go at least 100 miles before a fill-up.

Real knobby tires will make the single track more fun, how ever if you do easy splits the stockers will do fine.

Bring and extra 21 inch tube. It can be used for the rear as well, an tire irons and an air source.

Also on top of the bike prep. Bring supplies for you. Extra water, snacks, GPS if you have one, roll chart holder. And learn how to reset your trip milage on your odo.

Wind breaker or jacket is good. Fort Bragg can be cold in the evenings and mornings even when the weather is warm.

• Like 1

Everyone has given good advice so far.  I also bring a spare air filter and chain lube in my overnight bag.  I'm usually one of the first ones out on Saturday and my air filter is still dirty as can be when I arrive in Fort Bragg.

A camelbak is the best but a backpack with water bottles would work too.  I also bring TP as you never know when nature will call.  There are lots of public toilets along the way but there's lots of times you are miles from one too.

Basic first aid kit.

Tow strap.

Spare tools to do simple things.  Be able to dry out your bike if you suck water by dumping it in a creek.

The easy splits can be done on any bike while the hard splits go from somewhat challenging to impossible depending our your bike and skill.  Your bike with knobbies can do any hard split if your skills are up to the task.

Be careful, don't go off trail like some morons did last year and most importantly...have a blast!

Just a follow up to my previous post. I attended the Death Valley Noobs Rally and was able to test every mod on my bike. They all worked very, very well. About the only thing I would change is another shifter lever. I'd like mine about 1" longer. When I stand (which is most of the time) my foot inadvertantly shifts the bike sometimes. Since I'm very noob I wasn't riding near the edges of the capability of my bike. Having said that there was no trail/dirt road that the CRF didn't excel on. I didn't feel undergunned...ever. It does very well (of course) on the slabs. It's not rung out and cruises at 75 mph wot, which is more than I need. It doesn't wander or bounce. On the dirt roads (rutted and washboard) I was able to cruise at my snails pace in the 20-30mph range. Ok, on some straight dirt with a clear view I might have doubled that a couple of times. On the single track/rocky and sand, its did well. Only limited by my experience/lack therof. I really like the power band on the bike. It has plenty of torque and the power comes on steady all the way to WOT. It's not twitchy at all.

The Bad: I'd like less weight and more power. I'd like to be able to loft the front when I need to. My bike weighs in about 295lbs ish and has about 20 ish hp. At this point there's nothing wanting on this bike, but, I can see a KTM500 in my future. Next year Noob Rally will find me on one. To your question, I wouldn't hesitate to ride this ride with this bike.

• Like 1

Well, I took my CRF to Cow Mountain and I'm an idiot but the CRF is a die-hard survivor.

My friend and I ( he is on a husky 610) went to Cow Mountain. ( Northern California for folks out there)  We have a lot of street riding experience but not much dual-sport.   So we jumped in (mistake #1)

We started on West staging point.  Fireroads were very fun on the CRF, then we hit some of the basic single tracks heading south. (this was okay)

Halfway through the day we got to south cow mountain near clear lake.  My friend wanted to go back in.  So we jumped back in and took some of the south trails (big mistake #2)

We got stuck going down single tracks that were brutally difficult.  Wicked turns, rock walls, impossible staircases of loose rock on the edges of the mountain.   We couldn't find a way out.  Can't remember which trail, but we ended getting out on 24 and then 6.    

As noobies on dual-sports, we were mentally and physically challenged to the limit of pure breakdown.  Bikes dropped many times on rock, water...ourselves. 

Somehow, the CRF powered through absolutely everything and pulled me out of that mountain.  It took every punishing thing the mountain threw at it and carried me on its back outta there.  ( this is a stock CRF250L except for skid plate, handguards and radiator guard)

I'll never ever go back to those insane trails.....but the CRF250L is a f'ing champion.  Here are some pics of the after effects.  

I'm relatively intelligent, but the decision to undertake this trip unprepared was very stupid.  Were were very luckly to come away with bikes and bodies intact.  On the other hand, when you are pressed to your sheer limit, it is amazing what you can accomplish.  There were trails at the beginning of the day that I would not go near, but at the end of the day, to escape the mountain before sundown, i was trashing through them like i had years of experience.  thank you Honda engineers.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_20150503_091213.jpg

IMG_0028.JPG

• Like 4

Well, I took my CRF to Cow Mountain and I'm an idiot but the CRF is a die-hard survivor.

post-426291-0-90246200-1430886540.jpg

That sounds like an awesome adventure ... you may say you won't go back but, that voice will always be calling you ....  :lol:

• Like 1

After you get better you will go back and laugh that you used to have trouble on that trail.

I take my kids down trails that they had trouble on when they were new. Now they bomb right through usually without realizing it was a spot they had trouble until I mention it.

• Like 2