2015 Subaru WRX

Nearly all in-dash built-in navigation systems are poor to terrible. a $150 Garmin or Tomtom will be far better, and much cheaper. I use Waze on my smartphone, its great 99% of the time.

Only problem with Waze is that it uses cell phone data for maps, and if you are riding your bike in the boondocks, you might not have cell coverage --> no maps. Plus, of course, you need an inexpensive data plan.

If you plan to use this car as a tow vehicle, be sure to check the maximum towing specs. I tow two or three dirt bikes with my VW, but the car will not safely pull an enclosed trailer.

• Like 1

I ended up going with the focus ST and at this point i am very happy with it. The ford dealer offered about 2k more for my trade and i got the price of the ST down to about 11k less than the equally equipped WRX.

Main reasons for going with the focus were:

1. Price

2. Transmission/ Clutch felt night and day better than the WRX.  I didn't trust the CVT enough at this point to go with it, i have not seen enough reliability testing on it at this point

3. I wanted a 5 door and st came in it. 

4. Navigation/ Bluetooth wasn't even comparable. Navi in the ford is great. 

5. Mazda 3 was ruled out before i even drove it. it is way to small inside.

6. Mileage on the ST is rated better than the WRX. in the first 1500 miles i am getting just over 30 so i am happy with that.

The things that were still making me consider the WRX is 

1. AWD

2. It felt more like a luxury car than the ST when fully loaded, still fun to drive but would probably be better for really long drives

For the people that said just use a garmin. I have for the last 10 years and while they are nice, if the option for a quality in dash unit is available i would prefer it.

The navigation is also part of the sound package on the WRX and the ST3 (full leather) package on the ford which is what i wanted in each.

Edited by mped220

Nearly all in-dash built-in navigation systems are poor to terrible. a $150 Garmin or Tomtom will be far better, and much cheaper. I use Waze on my smartphone, its great 99% of the time.

Only problem with Waze is that it uses cell phone data for maps, and if you are riding your bike in the boondocks, you might not have cell coverage --> no maps. Plus, of course, you need an inexpensive data plan.

If you plan to use this car as a tow vehicle, be sure to check the maximum towing specs. I tow two or three dirt bikes with my VW, but the car will not safely pull an enclosed trailer.

The car will just be a daily driver, i have a truck for towing duties

I ended up going with the focus ST and at this point i am very happy with it. The ford dealer offered about 2k more for my trade and i got the price of the ST down to about 11k less than the equally equipped WRX.

Main reasons for going with the focus were:

1. Price

2. Transmission/ Clutch felt night and day better than the WRX.  I didn't trust the CVT enough at this point to go with it, i have not seen enough reliability testing on it at this point

3. I wanted a 5 door and st came in it. 

4. Navigation/ Bluetooth wasn't even comparable. Navi in the ford is great. 

5. Mazda 3 was ruled out before i even drove it. it is way to small inside.

6. Mileage on the ST is rated better than the WRX. in the first 1500 miles i am getting just over 30 so i am happy with that.

The things that were still making me consider the WRX is 

1. AWD

2. It felt more like a luxury car than the ST when fully loaded, still fun to drive but would probably be better for really long drives

For the people that said just use a garmin. I have for the last 10 years and while they are nice, if the option for a quality in dash unit is available i would prefer it.

The navigation is also part of the sound package on the WRX and the ST3 (full leather) package on the ford which is what i wanted in each.

I think the Focus ST is the best looking of all the "hot hatch's". Never driven one.