Head Probz

Hey guys how's it going, first post here. I have a 2000 E model I converted to supermoto and run on the street, lots of fun but lately she's turned in to a B****. I had some starting issues and figured it as loss of compression, engine had seen some miles so I thought it was probably time for a rebuild. Tore her down, piston and bore looked OK but she had a burnt valve. Started taking apart the head, but one bolt on the exhaust cam cap was stuck to hell, finally got it off and when I did the leg from the cam cap came apart-no bueno. Found a shop here in cali specializing in head work, said if I found a cam cap they could fit it to the head, quoted roughly 315 to do both journals, also found a good looking head on ebay for about 500. Bottom line is, do any of you guys have any leads on a used head, or an exhaust cam cap on the cheap? Thanks, happy riding

$315, is that including redoing all valves, line honing the cam journals? If so, it is a not a bad deal. If it is just to hone the journals, it is way too expensive. Honing out the journals entails taking the head all apart (20 minutes) honing and pastigaging (20 minutes). Then a correct job adds cutting the valve seats, and fitting new valves, springs, and cotters.

Used heads are around $200, always plan to redo the valves. $500 could get you an entire engine.

Don't just limit yourself to the drz searches. The suzuki ltz 400 4 wheeler has the same engine.

Thanks guys. That was just for honing the cam journals, everything else would be on top of that. Do you have any suggestions where to look for used heads other then ebay?

Hey guys how's it going, first post here. I have a 2000 E model I converted to supermoto and run on the street, lots of fun but lately she's turned in to a B****. I had some starting issues and figured it as loss of compression, engine had seen some miles so I thought it was probably time for a rebuild. Tore her down, piston and bore looked OK but she had a burnt valve. Started taking apart the head, but one bolt on the exhaust cam cap was stuck to hell, finally got it off and when I did the leg from the cam cap came apart-no bueno. Found a shop here in cali specializing in head work, said if I found a cam cap they could fit it to the head, quoted roughly 315 to do both journals, also found a good looking head on ebay for about 500. Bottom line is, do any of you guys have any leads on a used head, or an exhaust cam cap on the cheap? Thanks, happy riding

i might put a used head in a bike that i was planning to sell, but not a daily rider. it's a gamble. 

line bore, valves, seats = daily rider

Where are you sourcing a DRZ head that is not OEM?

Was wondering the same thing, even the Kawasaki ones come from Suzuki

Where are you sourcing a DRZ head that is not OEM?

He-He..

Kawasaki (Still Suzuki..)

Not every one knows that the Kawa branded parts for the DRZ are a lot less $ than the equal Suzuki parts, even though they are just the same.

Edited by f2dog

He-He..

Kawasaki (Still Suzuki..)

Not every one knows that the Kawa branded parts for the DRZ are a lot less $ than the equal Suzuki parts, even though they are just the same.

Less than a $37 difference between the kaw and Suz part source. 

head.jpg

I was just comparing prices in tt-shop, as the link was for

Oem https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=787910&manufacturer=5&category=5&year=2002&model=27330is +$200

Know there are other sources for parts, but since we are here, why not support the guys behind this forum ?

The price on the "Kawa" head is only $531 , which is a fair price from tt-shop :thumbsup:

Did not say not to support TT,,, I was posting a response to the claimed many hundred dollar price difference between a Green or yellow bagged part...

I used a commonly available  online retailer to show those costs... it was not a recommendation for or against any one supplier or retailer. 

TT has a low price guarantee, by all means take  advantage of it... and know you will have world class customer service.