Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone know the weight of a factory 400sm subframe

Does anyone know how much a factory 400m subframe, and potential subframe alternatives to reduce weight?  Or is cutting the subframe the best method to reduce weight?

Get an e model subframe

+1 get an e model sub on ebay for $30 bucks and sell the SM sub on ebay for $200-$300.... more money for another MOD don't hatch the sub. If you want I have a cut sub id trade

• Like 1

Don't cut you subframe to lose weight. Do as these guys have suggested and buy an e model or trade the Dr. The only reason I cut mine is I plan on welding it back together as a custom length. The part that I cut off only weighs a couple of pounds at best and is definitely not worth it if your not going to reuse it.

• Like 3

Does anyone know how much a factory 400m subframe, and potential subframe alternatives to reduce weight?  Or is cutting the subframe the best method to reduce weight?

run 1/2 a gallon of gas instead of 2 1/2.  there's twelve pounds, for free. 

the elusive 'lightweight' drz is a myth. 

• Like 5

True,  its a little piggy for sure,  and from what ive seen would cost hundreds,  if not more,  to reduce like 10-15 pounds,  if that. 

• Like 2

Don't cut you subframe to lose weight. Do as these guys have suggested and buy an e model or trade the Dr. The only reason I cut mine is I plan on welding it back together as a custom length. The part that I cut off only weighs a couple of pounds at best and is definitely not worth it if your not going to reuse it.

The part I ccut off weighs about a pound according to the little food scale in the kitchen;)

why do that to a brand new bike just to save a few pounds,  if that?   :banghead:

run 1/2 a gallon of gas instead of 2 1/2.  there's twelve pounds, for free. 

True,  its a little piggy for sure,  and from what ive seen would cost hundreds,  if not more,  to reduce like 10-15 pounds,  if that. 

You ccan gain/lose a few pounds just by tire selection.

Me like button is getting a workout on this

• Like 3

Okay... honest to goodness.. I never thought... man my bike could be 2lbs lighter... it is rather very very heavy for me being a smallish girl... but it is what it is... if I want the weight of a 250 I should have bought a 250... jmho. .. me personally. . I would look at my own body weight before I cut my frame. ... now if it was for a mx race or something and you need it lighter... I can see that... but then again it may be easier to lose body weight than bike weight! IMO.

• Like 3

Okay... honest to goodness.. I never thought... man my bike could be 2lbs lighter... it is rather very very heavy for me being a smallish girl... but it is what it is... if I want the weight of a 250 I should have bought a 250... jmho. .. me personally. . I would look at my own body weight before I cut my frame. ... now if it was for a mx race or something and you need it lighter... I can see that... but then again it may be easier to lose body weight than bike weight! IMO.

exactly. fitness and experience will trump a bike that is 10 lbs lighter every day of the week. 

if anyone wants to continue with the 'lighweight drz' project, just pull the engine and take a good look at it next to a two stroke engine. pick them both up once or twice. wheels, forks, frames, drivetrain, all weighs very similarly until you get into compact frame styles or trials bikes. the drz's lump is a battleship of reliability, and a good deal of why it weighs what it does. 

anyway, i'm going to spin my tires in the rain. :)

• Like 5

exactly. fitness and experience will trump a bike that is 10 lbs lighter every day of the week. 

if anyone wants to continue with the 'lighweight drz' project, just pull the engine and take a good look at it next to a two stroke engine. pick them both up once or twice. wheels, forks, frames, drivetrain, all weighs very similarly until you get into compact frame styles or trials bikes. the drz's lump is a battleship of reliability, and a good deal of why it weighs what it does. 

Yeh, get after it!!!! let's ditch the weight thing, maybe an oil thread or something important......hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worrying about weight on THIS BIKE is silly.....on a peddle pusher, yes, but the Z???  Sorry.......................................

• Like 4

Yeh, get after it!!!! let's ditch the weight thing, maybe an oil thread or something important......hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worrying about weight on THIS BIKE is silly.....on a peddle pusher, yes, but the Z??? Sorry.......................................

Amen guys!

• Like 1

Been all aluminium and IMO already minimalist, the DRZ subframe is already light.

Changing the battery will shave more weight then cutting into the subframe.

The DRZ weight is all in the engine and frame: which are places where you can't really chop anything ;)

Edited by maxpat82
  • Like 2

Been all aluminium and IMO already minimalist, the DRZ subframe is already light.

Changing the battery will shave more weight then cutting into the subframe.

The DRZ weight is all in the engine and frame: which are places where you can't really chop anything ;)

if this guy can lighten up his >100HP ninja

128627d1274298297-i-swore-i-wouldnt-but-

the drz can surely handle some holes in the frame, forks, swingarm, to lighten her up

right ? 

• Like 1

if this guy can lighten up his >100HP ninja

128627d1274298297-i-swore-i-wouldnt-but-

the drz can surely handle some holes in the frame, forks, swingarm, to lighten her up

right ? 

Amateur... I still see a fender, brakes, grips, lights, tail section  pfft.... :goofy:

• Like 1

My SuzyQ will get heavier. Being mainly off road it needs protection and strenght. The increased HP of a build will help offset my  (___I___) and gear I carry normally or when I get to moto camp. (Which I absolutely love!)

Oh and the monster gas tank I will put on. The weight of the Safari 7.4gal tank filled is almost like riding two up...

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott