USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

NEW 2014 CRF250L but having trouble removing engine plugs

Just bought my 2014 CRF250L about a month ago but having trouble removing engine plugs so I can replace them with some Zeta bling.  I have done this bfore on my Kawasaki KLX and had no trouble but its been about 4 years ago and I have had head injury sine then.  Both of the plugs seem to be frozen.  Do I need a special tool?  Its counter clockwise to loosen right?  Any advice whould be good.  Like I said this is new bike and it should not be stuck.  I must be doing something wrong.

I did the same. Mine were extremely hard to get out. They just get kind of seized up in there. And you're using a large flathead screwdriver, which is about the worst you can get for something needing torque. I wound up using a chisel and hitting with a hammer. It does mess up the appearance of the factory plugs a little, but you got purty new red ones!!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425360712.313089.jpg

• Like 3

Just bought my 2014 CRF250L about a month ago but having trouble removing engine plugs so I can replace them with some Zeta bling.  I have done this bfore on my Kawasaki KLX and had no trouble but its been about 4 years ago and I have had head injury sine then.  Both of the plugs seem to be frozen.  Do I need a special tool?  Its counter clockwise to loosen right?  Any advice whould be good.  Like I said this is new bike and it should not be stuck.  I must be doing something wrong.

Get one of these tools from the Thumpertalk Store.  Looks like the tool has wrench flats built in so you could put a wrench on the tool for more turning power.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/BikeMaster-Timing-Cover-Plug-Wrench-04-073-p4716705.html

• Like 1

Why on earth Honda went with those plugs on the 250L instead of hex head ones is beyond me. It's such a stupid design having to use a specialty tool for such a simple thing.

I heated mine with my heat gun and then hammered my large flathead. Eventually it broke free. Hopefully you'll fine another use for the tool down the road.

I would have just waited and rode the bike to a place at closing time with a 6 pack and go around back ..... those guys love beer ....    :cheers:  .....  :smirk:  

Edited by gnath9

ok...........STILL STUCK.  iM NOT TO EXCITED ON BANGING ON MY NEW MOTOR............Now what??

Im tapping on the plug as I try to loosen it and trying to make it move.,.......a little oil has leaked out so I know I loosened it a lttle but still no visable give,  Tring to not strip it out.  Thats my problem right now  No going back now...............so.......

Did you buy the timing cover wrench in the link above?  I would have thought that would have gotten the job done.  If not, I probably would have done like Gnath said and went by the dealer and had a tech remove it at the end of the day.  Don't know what to tell you other than the right tools for the job make life a lot easier.  Hope you get them out without tearing up something!

• Like 1

I bought the tool and I have done this before no problem.......but on the KLX.  This one is another story.  The shop is an hour away so I will have to take a half day off......Im not planning on tearing somthing up.  At worst i will have to drive it to the shop like you said....thanks

• Like 1

It seems like since the beginning on these bikes that some people have said they have run across bolts, etc. that were almost impossible to remove without stripping the heads or twisting off a bolt and others have had no problems removing the same things.  It's like there is no consistency in torque values from the factory or something.  I personally have had no problems removing anything yet on my bike but there have been others that report stories of horror when it comes to removing some parts of these bikes!  Good luck and I hope you get them out soon without too much grief.

Did you try any heat? We weren't talking about hammering the engine hard, just some hits with the hammer while you're turning the screwdriver. Works like an impact wrench, but crappier. I think the heat really helped mine because mine didn't budge until that.

Yes I tried both but I think I will try again with hitting and turning carefully.  Thank you redsands  will let you guys know tomorrow what happens!  THANK YOU!

Yes I tried both but I think I will try again with hitting and turning carefully.  Thank you redsands  will let you guys know tomorrow what happens!  THANK YOU!

I gave my plugs a couple of whacks with a hammer and a piece of hard wood...then used the largest bit from my impact wrench on a 1/4" drive power bar and they did come loose. They marked up, but on my next CRFsOnly order I'm going to get the bling kit anyway

• Like 1

000_0012.JPG 

Ice storm going on so stuck at home.  This is where Im at right now