Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF250R Brass shavings in motor oil :/ help!

Okay so after riding a few weeks back I washed my bike and tried to start it afterwords as I always do, but I noticed it was very difficult to kick over so I drained the oil and noticed the chunks of brass colored metal in my oil :/

So I understand it will be a full rebuild that is needed and I am prepared to tear into her myself I would just like some advice threw out the process and on the parts that will be needed.

I was thinking about buying this weisco kit  http://www.ebay.com/itm/131188693241

Thoughts?

Can you guys also point me in the right direction as far as what valves to purchase? 

If you can ID the source of the brass filings then maybe only one part needs replacing. 

No way man I have metal shavings in my motor so i'm gonna have to tear deep into it, so I want to replace it all at once.

Okay so after riding a few weeks back I washed my bike and tried to start it afterwords as I always do, but I noticed it was very difficult to kick over so I drained the oil and noticed the chunks of brass colored metal in my oil :/

So I understand it will be a full rebuild that is needed and I am prepared to tear into her myself I would just like some advice threw out the process and on the parts that will be needed.

I was thinking about buying this weisco kit  http://www.ebay.com/itm/131188693241

Thoughts?

Can you guys also point me in the right direction as far as what valves to purchase?

Were the flakes in the oil filter to?

I was thinking about buying this weisco kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/131188693241

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of wiseco.... Haven't had good luck with em on 4 strokes. If you want after market id say the hot rods/ vertex kit is decent but oem is definitely the way to go on these gen crfs

honestly in the long run you might as well sell the bike and try to get some money for it because if the valves or cylinder is bad then it will cost a lot more to get fixed.

I recommend hot rods and vertex as well heres why

Last year my bottom end went bang on my 2006 crf250r shrapnel proceded to ride around inside and beat the hell out of everything, so I had to get all new case halves and everything I ordered a hot rods bottom end kit and for some reason it came with one incorrect berring it was the right diameters but was significantly taller when layed on its side than the origional, I didnt notice this fact before installation so as I pressed it into place it bottomed out without my noticing but wasnt sitting low enough in the case so I continued to press it till it exploded out the other side of the case destroying the case half... I emailed hot rods and they replaced the case half and a full new set of berrings and gaskets with no hassels at all

I suggest you read up on a companies warranty policy before buying parts from anywhere

When you get to the point of pulling the 2 case halves appart there will be a little one way flapper valve in between for god sakes replace the damn thing cause it will wreak havvoc on you about 10 min after you finish the rebuild

I have rebuilt my bike 3 times now the wrong way, the hard way and the right way if you have any questions at all shoot me an email ajohnstoncarpentry@hotmail.com