Sign in to follow this  

Another oil thread

The horse is dead and being beat, the record is broken, every cliche remark is bound to get posted on this thread so sorry in advance.

Anyways, just picked up a 2015 crf 250 and ive decided to go with rotella in the engine side but im stuck between 3 oils. First is honda transmission oil, and that's likely going to be my choice but that still leaves two more, second is lucal oil high performance motorcycle oil semi syn. 10w-40.

Third is.. well, supertech gear oil 75w-90. This is being considered because its alot cheaper than the other two.

Heres pictures for reference

1425365036972.jpg

1425365054099.jpg

1425365065699.jpg

Are you asking which one to use or looking for more suggestions?

What do it say in the manual for recommended oil? If the info on the bottle meets manufacturers requirements then you are good to go regardless of who makes or markets the oil or who says this oil is better than this oil based on their very limited experience. Paying a premium price for oil don't necessarily mean you are getting a better oil.

Well I just bought a 2012 crf450 last week new. And my manual says any 10w-30 or 10w-40 with no modifiers. But I'm a little superstitious with oil so Im either gonna use royal purple 10w-40 or the Honda stuff. I don't wanna be a cheap ass about a new bike I just bought so I'll spend the extra just for peace of mind more than anything. But you can use the super tech if you want as long as there's no modifiers to it

Run Rotella in the tranny side too.

• Like 1

I would never use that super tech gear oil in a motorcycle transmission, it's way to heavy and thick. I personally love the Honda HP trans myself, it seems to shift the smoothest IMO.

If cost is a consideration, I here lots of guys run ATF (ex. Ford type F) with good results, or as CamP said, use Rotella in both sides.

What's all the hype about rotella? Good stuff or just because it's cheap? I'm out of the loop here

Like Camp says, why not run rotella on both sides? Having said that, this should be in the crf forum.

What's all the hype about rotella? Good stuff or just because it's cheap? I'm out of the loop here

Both

• Like 1

I'll keep that in mind! Is there a specific kind and weight? And Is it synthetic? I heard that synthetic was better for 4 stroke engines?

Edited by Emkjr93

I'll keep that in mind! Is there a specific kind and weight? And Is it synthetic? I heard that synthetic was better for 4 stroke engines?

Run the 15w40 in the tranny and the 5w40 synthetic in the engine.

Run the 15w40 in the tranny and the 5w40 synthetic in the engine.

Run the 15w40 in the tranny and the 5w40 synthetic in the engine because !!!?

But my manual calls for 10w in the engine... Any reason why for the 5?

The second number is what matters. If you want the benefits of a synthetic on the engine side, and don't want to spend a bundle, run 5w40 Rotella. 10w50 Mobil One is a good cost effective alternative in the summer.

Edited by CamP

The second number is what matters. If you want the benefits of a synthetic on the engine side, and don't want to spend a bundle, run 5w40 Rotella. 10w50 Mobil One is a good cost effective alternative in the summer.

What does the first number mean then? I'm not an expert on oil so I'll take all the info I can get

Frd, This is more of an oil question than a bike specific question but i see where youre coming from.

Sorry, wasn't trying to come across as a jerk here.  I only suggested posting in the CRF forum because those guys are running engine oil in both sides and would have more opinions on the matter.  When I had my 450, I was running the rotella 15w40 in the engine side and the t6 5w40 in the clutch side.  My 450 had a picky clutch and that was the only oil that worked well for it.  If the clutch wasn't so picky I would have run the 15w40 on both sides.  It is good oil, and it is cheap. 

What does the first number mean then? I'm not an expert on oil so I'll take all the info I can get

The 1st number is the viscosity index for winter. The 2nd number is the viscosity index at 100 degress Celcius.

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1