05 450x electrical issue - power on handlebars :/

my 05 CRF450x was running great on my last ride until it began to cut out and refuse to start. I figured it was a loose connection somewhere so pulled the bike apart looking for it. 

when I turn the ignition on, if I bump the clutch lever it triggers the relay behind the headlight. I took all the switch gear off the handlebars but it still did it. I then check the handlebars for power and found between the battery and triple clamps there was anything between 8 and 12 volts until I touched the clutch lever. I'm assuming the clutch cable is earthing to the motor. 

anyone had a similar issue and care to share how they fixed it?

Has to be a short somewhere if what you're saying is you can measure 12v through the handlebars.  :shocked:

The bar having continuity is normal

You need to pull the harness behind the headlight, under the seat, and behind the left side panel and inspect.

The bar having continuity is normal

You need to pull the harness behind the headlight, under the seat, and behind the left side panel and inspect.

Continuity or "ground" is perfectly normal.... +12V in the bars is most certainly not, and could make for some interesting fireworks eventually.  So if the OP can measure +12V in the bars from bars>ground then he's got an issue... from bars to battery +terminal = 12V then no problem.

Hopefully that clarifies Aidaniel.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By cmckay4
      Anyone having or had problems with the starter not turning over easily on the 450X???
      I have read about this problem on CRF's ONLY and not seen anyone come up with a fix.
      Problem being is that you think there is a problem with the battery, when infact the battery is OK. When you have a good fully charged battery in the bike and press the e-start, it turns over very slowly.
      I have checked the electrical circuit and it seems OK. I am wondering if it might be the starter itself - any suggestions?????
    • By Dust_Devil
      I'll start, if you see the "Fox Sticker" out in the Dez you know you crossed paths with ol' DD.....

• By JohnnyAirtime

Guys and Gals...
      Post your links to any of your pictures in this thread....
      (proper placement of pictures is in the "picture" threads)
      Post your links to any of your ride reports in this thread....
      (proper placement of your ride reports is relative to the area you live/ride)
      NO TECHNICAL issues, questions or comments in this thread.
      (it'll be deleted to keep this thread clean and with only the above listed).

Please follow this format;
      Ride Report: Gorman, Tuesday 4-17
      (by Skoot22)
      Pictures from Ride: Baja 4.14.07
      (by Johnnyairtime)
    • By dakynz
      Guys, because of a member ban the jetting database has been removed. Let's start a new one to get this great information created into a sticky for everyone's benefit. Please stick to the information below.
      Temperature Range:
      Smog (AIS):
      Airbox Modified Top:
      Airbox Modified Sides:
      Backfire Screen:
      Air Filter:
      Pilot Jet:
      Main Jet:
      Needle Clip Position:
      Fuel Screw Type:
      Fuel Screw Setting:
      AP Modified:
      Leak Jet:
      AP Cover:
      Exhaust Type:
      Exhaust Modified:
      Pink Wire Modified:
    • By 2can
      I've studied the Jetting sticky's but still have a number of questions:
      I bought my '06 a couple of years ago and had a smog block-off kit installed and the pilot jet was upsized to a 48 and the air box opened up top only. The bike has appeared to run a little lean at times and got hot on a couple of occasions in elevation and on one other occasion. I'm looking at upping the main jet to either a 165 or 170 to help with the possible lean condition. The bike currently has a 142 main jet in it which I believe is the stock size. It looks like the most widely used Needle Jets are the JD Red, but it doesn't look like they are sold separately, is this correct?
      I was going to also get a 45 pilot to have options for further tuning. My assumption is that every bike is a little different and that where you ride is going to have a lot to do with jetting. We ride mostly, mojave desert, baja, and southern Utah with elevations from sea level to 9,000 feet but the higher elevations are generally for a short period as we generally continue through the peaks and head back down.
      I'm looking to convert from a stock exhaust to possibly an FMF Q4. I want something a little throatier but not overly loud and will provide a balanced flow of intake/exhaust.
      So can I get the JD Red Needle Jet by itself or can I get by using the stock and move the clip and be just as happy. I'm just looking to enhance overall performance of the engine and maintain reliability.