05 450x electrical issue - power on handlebars :/

my 05 CRF450x was running great on my last ride until it began to cut out and refuse to start. I figured it was a loose connection somewhere so pulled the bike apart looking for it. 

when I turn the ignition on, if I bump the clutch lever it triggers the relay behind the headlight. I took all the switch gear off the handlebars but it still did it. I then check the handlebars for power and found between the battery and triple clamps there was anything between 8 and 12 volts until I touched the clutch lever. I'm assuming the clutch cable is earthing to the motor. 

anyone had a similar issue and care to share how they fixed it?

Has to be a short somewhere if what you're saying is you can measure 12v through the handlebars.  :shocked:

The bar having continuity is normal

You need to pull the harness behind the headlight, under the seat, and behind the left side panel and inspect.

The bar having continuity is normal

You need to pull the harness behind the headlight, under the seat, and behind the left side panel and inspect.

Continuity or "ground" is perfectly normal.... +12V in the bars is most certainly not, and could make for some interesting fireworks eventually.  So if the OP can measure +12V in the bars from bars>ground then he's got an issue... from bars to battery +terminal = 12V then no problem.

Hopefully that clarifies Aidaniel.