Sign in to follow this  

2000 yz250 parts of other years

I need a transmission and a left side case for a 2000 yz 250 and need to know if any other years had the same parts that would fit in this model??

The trans will interchange from 99 to 15. The shift drum changed slightly in 02 (its lighter and has more material removed but they all interchange. In 03 they changed 2nd gear but if you get wheel and pinion it will be fine. I also heard (I don't know for a fact) that the motor mounts are different on 99-01 and that might be of some concern as far as the case half goes.

Edited by StillSmoking

The trans will interchange from 99 to 15. The shift drum changed slightly in 02 (its lighter and has more material removed but they all interchange. In 03 they changed 2nd gear but if you get wheel and pinion it will be fine. I also heard (I don't know for a fact) that the motor mounts are different on 99-01 and that might be of some concern as far as the case half goes.

ok thanks would any of the 450f or 250f transmissions would work

I was referring to the 2 stroke trans. Other than the YZ 400 I don't have enough experience with anything else to tell you whether it will or will not work.

I only reason id get a yz 400 one is becausr theres more of those for cheaper it seems

The 02 and newer use a larger rear bushing/collar at the rear of the cases where the swingarm pivot bolt goes through (swingarm pivot bolt is larger on 02+ bikes).  Relatively easy to retro fit an older case to newer by simply drilling out the collar to the larger size.  Not so easy in the other direction, ie using an 02 + case on a 99-01 bike.  Not only does the 02+ bushing/collar have a larger inside diameter to accommodate the larger swingarm pivot bolt, the outside diameter of the bushing/collar that slides into the case is also larger on the 02+ machines.  Ie 99-01 bushing/collar would be loose in an 02+ case.

I know this for a fact as I have measured both. Currently I am using an older case on my 02 YZ after I drilled out the bushing. I tried just swapping in the 02 newer larger diameter bushing and thats when I discovered its also larger in diameter on the outside.

I suppose you could make a custom bushing or some how shim up the older bushing in the newer 02+ case.  But that would be a lot of work and unless you have access to a machine shop and/or your time is free, could be expensive. Just my personal experience.  

• Like 2

The 02 and newer use a larger rear bushing/collar at the rear of the cases where the swingarm pivot bolt goes through (swingarm pivot bolt is larger on 02+ bikes). Relatively easy to retro fit an older case to newer by simply drilling out the collar to the larger size. Not so easy in the other direction, ie using an 02 + case on a 99-01 bike. Not only does the 02+ bushing/collar have a larger inside diameter to accommodate the larger swingarm pivot bolt, the outside diameter of the bushing/collar that slides into the case is also larger on the 02+ machines. Ie 99-01 bushing/collar would be loose in an 02+ case.

I know this for a fact as I have measured both. Currently I am using an older case on my 02 YZ after I drilled out the bushing. I tried just swapping in the 02 newer larger diameter bushing and thats when I discovered its also larger in diameter on the outside.

I suppose you could make a custom bushing or some how shim up the older bushing in the newer 02+ case. But that would be a lot of work and unless you have access to a machine shop and/or your time is free, could be expensive. Just my personal experience.

Okay now I know the difference. Its rare anyone answers from personal experience. I wish it happened more often.

• Like 1

The 02 and newer use a larger rear bushing/collar at the rear of the cases where the swingarm pivot bolt goes through (swingarm pivot bolt is larger on 02+ bikes).  Relatively easy to retro fit an older case to newer by simply drilling out the collar to the larger size.  Not so easy in the other direction, ie using an 02 + case on a 99-01 bike.  Not only does the 02+ bushing/collar have a larger inside diameter to accommodate the larger swingarm pivot bolt, the outside diameter of the bushing/collar that slides into the case is also larger on the 02+ machines.  Ie 99-01 bushing/collar would be loose in an 02+ case.

I suppose you could make a custom bushing or some how shim up the older bushing in the newer 02+ case.  But that would be a lot of work and unless you have access to a machine shop and/or your time is free, could be expensive. Just my personal experience.  

Very helpful information.  I've been searching for this answer for a long time. I was able to pick up a 1999 trans on ebay and planning on using it as a back up engine for my 06 yz250.  I knew the ID holes were different sizes but wondered about the OD of the bushing collar.  I know what I need to do now.  I also understand the large clutch cover housing is different between 99-01 & 02+ because the kickstarter shaft is different size.  I am wondering if all the kick starter and clutch cover components from my 06 will transfer into my 99 engine easily.