Sign in to follow this  

I need some info on a beta 500 rs

Hey all I'm new to this forum as a poster (been lurking for years) but I've decided it's time to buy a new bike. I'm most ally interested in enduro riding. My background for riding is I've spent 2 years on a crf250r and want something more woods worthy and street legal (needs to be factory street legal). So I've been searching and I believe the beta 500 rs suits my needs quite well

Where I live insurance is funny for any dual sport from klr650 to ktm 690 insurance is the same it just depends on the cc's of the bike anything with an actual cc above 501cc insurance is $500 more a year than anything under 501. The ktm and husqvarna are both 511cc so that would cost a lot more per year then the 350 versions. The beta 500 rs is 473cc so it woul cost the same as the 350's. But the beta is carbed allowing for more matinance to be done by me and it's starter quilty is quite good and it's low seat height is a real plus. but all I need to know is how is the suspention adaqute for single track and can the bike pull wheelies at least in third gear for hopping over logs and stuff. All anwsers are appreciated but please stay on topic

Thanks

I'm reposted this answer here on this new thread. I just posted it on your first one (which is not in the beta specific forum).

I think the 500RS is actually 498cc but if what the insurance company sees is not engine cc but just bike name then it might be difficult to prove to them the bike is under 500cc. You should be able to call and get a quote before from insur. cos. without having a bike in hand. And if that's going to give you trouble, consider the 430RS, which is actually 432cc. That's what I just bought about a month ago and I made my decision on that one vs 500 based on fact that everyone I spoke to about which choice to make said that the 430 would be better if I wanted to do single tracks in with my other type of riding. My other type of riding includes plans to do the Transamerica trail and so my riding in general is a mixture of wider fire Road type of stuff and single track. Since you did not indicate where you live, The following suggestions may be irrelevant, but for insurance try GEICO, Markel Insurance - they only insure recreational vehicles such as m-cycles, ATVs, etc, and Progressive.

The suspension is as good as any other brand, maybe better. 

Everyone has a different idea of single-track I'm starting to realize. If you're talking deer trails, the 430 would be more than enough. If staying on wider fire-road stuff the 500 would be great. Either bike will wheelie at ease, with proper gearing (I had mine geared down from RS gearing to almost RR prior to throwing a leg over it). Most Beta and KTM bikes come geared for 100mph, even the 350's which as most know is a joke as you will start throwing knobs at those speeds.  

I've ridden nothing but open class DS and Enduro bikes for 10 years, now with the Beta my 450 is more than I really need, still floats the front anytime.

The tighter stuff the 500 can become a handful after a while, they all wheelie, they are all fun, pick your poison!

• Like 1

I'm reposted this answer here on this new thread. I just posted it on your first one (which is not in the beta specific forum).

I think the 500RS is actually 498cc but if what the insurance company sees is not engine cc but just bike name then it might be difficult to prove to them the bike is under 500cc. You should be able to call and get a quote before from insur. cos. without having a bike in hand. And if that's going to give you trouble, consider the 430RS, which is actually 432cc. That's what I just bought about a month ago and I made my decision on that one vs 500 based on fact that everyone I spoke to about which choice to make said that the 430 would be better if I wanted to do single tracks in with my other type of riding. My other type of riding includes plans to do the Transamerica trail and so my riding in general is a mixture of wider fire Road type of stuff and single track. Since you did not indicate where you live, The following suggestions may be irrelevant, but for insurance try GEICO, Markel Insurance - they only insure recreational vehicles such as m-cycles, ATVs, etc, and Progressive.

The 2015 500rs is 478cc the older 520rs is 498cc

I have no experience in any of the bikes discussed here but since insurance is one of the OP's concern, there's an experience of mine to share.  For recreational vehicle insurance, it's pretty inexpensive.  However, since you're going to plate it, your insurance SHOULD NOT be recreational only.  That's my insurance company told me.  That's why I went with the road bike insurance that they suggested.  Check with your current insurance company, housing and automobile, to find out if they can give you a good rate, cheers.

Our poster is a neighbor from the North - in Canada from the little I know about it, the size of the engine is what determines the premium paid. I know when I was racing in their Natl Cross Country series they would ask why I did not have a license plate until they realized I was a Yank.

I have no experience in any of the bikes discussed here but since insurance is one of the OP's concern, there's an experience of mine to share.  For recreational vehicle insurance, it's pretty inexpensive.  However, since you're going to plate it, your insurance SHOULD NOT be recreational only.  That's my insurance company told me.  That's why I went with the road bike insurance that they suggested.  Check with your current insurance company, housing and automobile, to find out if they can give you a good rate, cheers.

Hi Flywheels and Braedenpope,

My suggestion for Markel Insurance and the fact it only insures recreational vehicles may have been misleading b/c of that "only insures recreational vehicles" part.  It insures licensable recreational vehicles - the main thing is, they are focused on rec vehicles and don't insure cars, houses, etc.  Braeden, when you call about insurance, just ensure they know it's a licensable dirt bike.  http://www.markelinsuresfun.com

Edited by flemmings27
  • Like 1

"but all I need to know is how is the suspension adequate for single track and can the bike pull wheelies at least in third gear for hopping over logs and stuff. All anwsers are appreciated but please stay on topic

Thanks

Suspension: Far more than adequate, it is top of the line without anything but setup. It excels on MX tracks too.

Wheelies: If this bike won't, nothing will. It is easy to dial it on to bring it up. No need for gearing down to do so.

Off topic: Insurance, suggesting something else.

To qualify my info read this thread (my blog) http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1109793-beta-2015-500-rs-has-arrived/

Hello just for clarification I wasn't look on information on imsuranve but what of those three bikes would be best for hard enduro riding. Ps I live in manitioba and in this province there is one insurance for motor vehicles mpi manitioba public insurance. It's the pony place to get insurance and how I stated it works above is how it works any thing over 501cc's costs $500 more. But it's full coverage so I I were to smash into your car I wouldn't pay a dime out of pocket for mine or your car. So it's good in that way but prices are crazy high. So would the extra $500 a year be worth it to just but the ktm 500 exc or should I go beta 500 for $500 less or just go ktm 350 exc (or the husqvarna equilivent)

Hello just for clarification I wasn't look on information on imsuranve but what of those three bikes would be best for hard enduro riding. Ps I live in manitioba and in this province there is one insurance for motor vehicles mpi manitioba public insurance. It's the pony place to get insurance and how I stated it works above is how it works any thing over 501cc's costs $500 more. But it's full coverage so I I were to smash into your car I wouldn't pay a dime out of pocket for mine or your car. So it's good in that way but prices are crazy high. So would the extra $500 a year be worth it to just but the ktm 500 exc or should I go beta 500 for $500 less or just go ktm 350 exc (or the husqvarna equilivent)

You will find few people here to tell you to buy a Orange/White bike. 

Quite simple really, the Beta is a incredible Enduro bike, and the RS version is every bit what their true "dedicated" Enduro bike is just a few scant pounds more. And holds more versatility IMHO.....

The open class or even the smaller Beta's diesel have proven themselves to be extremely reliable machines, whether racing or challenging your friends or yourself offroad. It has better manners for most in the dirt than the other colors of bikes.

Very few new owners have had to use their one year warranty, a lot less than other colors of bikes.

If you enjoy riding and not paying the orange dealer to keep your bike running the Beta may be a nice choice

You will find few people here to tell you to buy a Orange/White bike.

Quite simple really, the Beta is a incredible Enduro bike, and the RS version is every bit what their true "dedicated" Enduro bike is just a few scant pounds more. And holds more versatility IMHO.....

The open class or even the smaller Beta's diesel have proven themselves to be extremely reliable machines, whether racing or challenging your friends or yourself offroad. It has better manners for most in the dirt than the other colors of bikes.

Very few new owners have had to use their one year warranty, a lot less than other colors of bikes.

If you enjoy riding and not paying the orange dealer to keep your bike running the Beta may be a nice choice

Ok well the two main concerns I have is power diffrences and carb vs fi. Does anyone have a chart on the beta 500 rs (like horsepower and torque) I know there easy to find for the ktm's but I can't find any for the beta.

Then for carb vs fi. With a carb there will be much worse feul economy but that dosent matter as much (3.1 ims tank and two rotopacks) but the only problem is elevation. Where I am any near rides I wouldn't have to change a thing but what if I wanna go up in the mountins? Will the bike sputter and stall all the time if so that's fine I'll just need to learn to jet but what Is the ammount of elevation change you need to make the bike run like shit.

Since it seems like all I'm doing is asking questions here is why I'm considering the beta:

Low seat height

Local dealer

Looks good

Carb

Comes with kickstarter

Good electric starter unlike a certain orange brand

Low matinance compared to some (one guy I thinks has 300 hours with only one gadget needed to be replaced

BYOB section is good

Finally to be diffrent this harm enduro season at the hare scrambles I didn't see a single beta so to be diffrent

Ok well the two main concerns I have is power diffrences and carb vs fi. Does anyone have a chart on the beta 500 rs (like horsepower and torque) I know there easy to find for the ktm's but I can't find any for the beta.

Then for carb vs fi. With a carb there will be much worse feul economy but that dosent matter as much (3.1 ims tank and two rotopacks) but the only problem is elevation. Where I am any near rides I wouldn't have to change a thing but what if I wanna go up in the mountins? Will the bike sputter and stall all the time if so that's fine I'll just need to learn to jet but what Is the ammount of elevation change you need to make the bike run like shit.

Since it seems like all I'm doing is asking questions here is why I'm considering the beta:

Low seat height

Local dealer

Looks good

Carb

Comes with kickstarter

Low matinance compared to some (one guy I thinks has 300 hours with only one gadget needed to be replaced

BYOB section is good

Finally to be diffrent this harm enduro season at the hare scrambles I didn't see a single beta so to be diffrent

As far as newer open classed motor, it should have more HP than the earlier 498 version. You can easily find that earlier test last year between the KTM Vs Beta, while it was a desert test mainly, the Beta would have won other than a hard seat and the KTM sneaked/switched front tires to work better in sand. 

Beta spent quite a while designing an engine that was not so delicate to elevation changes, for most 0-7k feet really little power difference, many have ridden with standard jetting above 8k+, I just can't personally say though.

Everyone knows that FI systems can work very well at most elevations, and a carb does have limitations but the Beta truly is the best carb'd bike out there, with none shortcomings of the modern FI systems and there are some that are inevitable.

The Beta will not get the same mileage per tank size, but with the 3.1 you can be assured 100+ I've seen over 130+miles per tank. 

So if there are any places the Beta loses is in its fuel economy....

Best of luck with your decision!

Low seat height

Local dealer

Looks good

Carb

Comes with kickstarter

BYOB section is good

Based on reading your reasons for looking at the Beta, I think you already answered your own questions. A few member are dealers here, you could always ask them to check the Vehicle Of Origin certificate for the HP if thats a concern. The old 498 were 50HP SAE. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the estart on the KTM four strokes. I never personally had to have my dealer constantly "keep" the five I have owned running. I like all brands of bikes, but there's a lot of BS in here about Ktm.

If your riding tight woods a 500 is a handful after a couple hrs as others have said. Good luck on your purchase

• Like 1

Having owned a 2010 KTM 530 and now riding a Beta 500 RS, the Beta won me over hands down. The carb is a non-issue, install an air-fuel screw from JD Jetting and your altitude questions are answered. The Voyager GPS computer is a very cool device that has a lot of info at your fingertips....temp, altitude, coolant temp, front wheel miles and true GPS miles, route tracking, etc. The removable seat, the grab handles, lots of little extras the KTM did not have.

KTM builds a great bike, I've had 3 of them but the Beta is the new favorite mare in the stable.

KTM builds a great bike, I've had 3 of them but the Beta is the new favorite mare in the stable.

Hafta agree with Frank on this.

Hafta agree with Frank on this.

Went to Dan's today with a parts list, not too many parts......rear fender, inner fender, decals,.....and a composite rear subframe, that one's gonna hurt the wallet.
  • Like 1

Low seat height

Local dealer

Looks good

Carb

Comes with kickstarter

BYOB section is good

Hold on, you have mountains in Manitoba????  Go with the Beta, carb is not an issue.

Went to Dan's today with a parts list, not too many parts......rear fender, inner fender, decals,.....and a composite rear subframe, that one's gonna hurt the wallet.

Doh…….It's what happens when you try to keep up with us old guys….