Swingarm Bearings Seized

As the title says, the inner races are seized in the swingarm, anyone have a bullet proof way of getting them out?

I've tried pressing them out, with and without heat using a socket and vise and using the all-thread bolt and socket method,

getting close to trying the BFH and socket method and if that fails I'll resort to the dremel and chisel method   :facepalm:

Anyone got a better way?

As the title says, the inner races are seized in the swingarm, anyone have a bullet proof way of getting them out?

I've tried pressing them out, with and without heat using a socket and vise and using the all-thread bolt and socket method,

getting close to trying the BFH and socket method and if that fails I'll resort to the dremel and chisel method   :facepalm:

Anyone got a better way?

Soak them bad boys in your choice of penetrating lubricant as much as possible as long as possible, other than that sounds like you're on the right track. That'll teach ya to wait so long to lube'm up again wont it? I've been there so not hating esp if it's a used bike.

Yeah, know I should of pulled it apart before now, just been having way too much fun riding it. But knowing the kind of crap I ride in I knew I was pushing the envelope.

Thanks for the response Squid and thanks for not poking me too hard

You can make a press with threaded rod and sockets. I bought a http://www.morgans-tool.co.uk/Swingarm & PDS bearing tool. Works like a hot damn. You're more than welcome to borrow it, but need to pick up. 

Tisk tisk, shame on you...;)

Cut those suckers, that will guarantee they come out.

OR, you can do what I do....chicken out and make your local bike guy do it. The last time I had that happen I swore it would be the last time, lol.

I could send you a set of these if you're interested, the local suspension guy makes them. Greasing bearing has never been so easy...slide them in, hook up the grease gun and go! It will force out the old grease and totally pack it with fresh grease. It might be the best 30 bucks I've spent, I bought 3 sizes (10 bucks each).

4b8ad51d44d2524a1621208490897446_zps36e6

Edited by poldies4

Tisk tisk, shame on you...;)

OR, you can do what I do....chicken out and make your local bike guy do it. The last time I had that happen I swore it would be the last time, lol.

I could send you a set of these if you're interested, the local suspension guy makes them. Greasing bearing has never been so easy...slide them in, hook up the grease gun and go! It will force out the old grease and totally pack it with fresh grease. It might be the best 30 bucks I've spent, I bought 3 sizes (10 bucks each).

where does the old grease go?

where does the old grease go?

Out of the end...you slide the grease tool in to the bearing which pushes the bushing out but doesn't let the needles move. Then connect your grease gun and pump away. The old grease is forced out of the end by the pressure of the new grease. Just keep pumping until the grease comes out clean, then use the bushing to slide the tool back out. 100% packed with nowhere for water to get in.

Edited by poldies4

WD40 isn't going to do it. It's just a water displacement/light lube. You need to use something like PB Blaster, a real penetrant.

A proper penetrant not only lubricates but it can also chemically soften any corrosion.

Its best to loosen the engine mount bolts when trying to remove a stuck swingarm bolt. That takes any engine case rigidity/mismatch out of the equation and allows the bolt move thru the case with the least resistance as you pound it out.

You need to lay the bike on its side and support the frame from underneath so when you pound on the bolt, the frame is solidly supported and its not dissipating the impact. If you have access to an air hammer, those work great. Don't do anything that could create more damage, like cutting or drilling, until you've exhausted all non destructive options..

Soak it overnight in PB blaster then get your socket and stick it on the end of a rotary hammer (on hammer only mode) and go to town. If not maybe you can cut it out carefully with a jewelers saw.

You can make a press with threaded rod and sockets. I bought a http://www.morgans-tool.co.uk/Swingarm & PDS bearing tool. Works like a hot damn. You're more than welcome to borrow it, but need to pick up. 

Thanks for the offer Betarocker but there is this thing between us called a border and there was a little problem back in the 80's when I was pit crewing for a stock car team and we were at Western Speedway, not sure what the statue of limitations is but I don't think I'm willing to chance it going North   :canada:

Tisk tisk, shame on you... ;)

Damn Poldies, me want :banana:  I'll shoot you a PM soon for the particulars

Edited by Rider 41

So I have the swing arm off the bike and sitting on the work bench and have been hosing it with PB Blaster and following that with heat, only lit the bench on fire twice and sprayed blaster in my eyes once so I'm having a good evening :banghead:  The 19 mm socket no longer fits against the shoulder of the inner race, manly because the shoulder is now gone, good news is I think the race has moved a millimeter maybe. So now I'm going at it with PB Blaster, followed by heat then wailing on it with a drift punch / clutch pushrod, gonna keep trying this for as long as I can stand whacking my hand with a 3 pound sledge. I hoping the races come out before I run out of hand to mash, damn hand / eye coordination crap :facepalm:  whoever invented that should be taken out behind the woodshed and beaten to within an inch of their lives.

Thanks for the offer Betarocker but there is this thing between us called a border and there was a little problem back in the 80's when I was pit crewing for a stock car team and we were at Western Speedway, not sure what the statue of limitations is but I don't think I'm willing to chance it going North :canada:

Rider you have a record in Canada?

3lb? That's your problem, you're trying too hard, get an 8lb, make sure the swing arm is braced so there's no deflection and have at it

Rider you have a record in Canada?

Well... technically I don't think so, no.  Did you know that in Canada an arm being broken with a tire iron makes exactly the same sound as one here in the States? I thought it would sound different for some reason :excuseme:

Well... technically I don't think so, no.  Did you know that in Canada an arm being broken with a tire iron makes exactly the same sound as one here in the States? I thought it would sound different for some reason :excuseme:

stock cars, a tire iron, and a broken arm, classic.... :thumbsup:

stock cars, a tire iron, and a broken arm, classic.... :thumbsup:

Yes...Kind of redneck, but I told him NOT to touch the car Bobby

Partial success, 3 of the 4 races removed, 4th one is being a PITA and shows no sign of even thinking about moving. More PB Blaster and heat / cool cycling and I should be able to drive it out, hopefully :worthy:

Swing%20Arm%20Bearings_zpsjkkfvsz5.jpg

Just "for the record" If you used a hockey stick, someone would have bought you a beverage, but tire irons are a nono.

There is something wrong with us....

3lb? That's your problem, you're trying too hard, get an 8lb, make sure the swing arm is braced so there's no deflection and have at it

Got anymore ideas Ace?

20150305_173734_resized_zpsgugvnyif.jpg