Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock YZ250

So I opened the shock up to rebuild it because it was leaking some oil. I got all the parts, followed a video on how to do it to a T and put it all back together with 50lb air pressure in bladder. Compressed it and it came back up no problem. left it over night with spring off and came back the next morning and compressed it and it just sits there and does not return to the top..... air pressure is still constant so the bladder isn't leaking. Anybody know what could cause this? I've redone the entire process again with the same results. There was a bit of fluid in the cardboard box I put it in overnight but not a lot, so I'm not sure if its leaking or just fluid I didn't clean off of it from filling it...

The bike is a 2012 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like the seal head may be bad. On the KYB shock, they are pretty easy to replace. All Balls makes a kit to rebuild everything that I have used succesfully several times in the past.

The entire seal kit is brand new and its made by All Balls...

I just put the air in there to make sure it wasn't leaking, after I make sure it works ill take it to get some nitrogen put in it.

Thanks!

So far I had good luck with a band aid with leaking shocks.

Here it comes:

I clean the seal thoroughly and see if the spring is loose or broken to replace it.

Than I take one layer of Teflon tape and wrap it around the shaft, loosely as it needs to find is way between shaft and seal.

That so far has hold up several years, most guys over here don't really care about the OEM state of their bike they just want to ride.

Well I just opened it back up and tried the process again and now when I push the shock down (compress it) the fluid level goes down.... what the heck? This is before the seal goes in and its just the bushing and washers. Then when I pull up on the shock the fluid rises and spills out the top. this is the opposite of what happened the last time I opened it. It is also very hard to pull it up to run it through the stroke to get all the air bubbles out.

I am very confused now...

You probably have air somewhere. Also make sure all clickers are open and the rebound needle retracts back down toward the lower shock clevis, or it won't like to let fluid bypass as you're bleeding it. If the shock shaft fights back when you're pumping it, the bypass is blocked. Also be sure your bladder is all installed correctly. If you add too much air without the shock closed up, it could pop off. Go through a few YouTube vids.

Edited by C-P

You probably have air somewhere. Also make sure all clickers are open and the rebound needle retracts back down toward the lower shock clevis, or it won't like to let fluid bypass as you're bleeding it. If the shock shaft fights back when you're pumping it, the bypass is blocked. Also be sure your bladder is all installed correctly. If you add too much air without the shock closed up, it could pop off. Go through a few YouTube vids.

You were right, the rebound needle was not open.

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1