Firearm storage on bike?

I'm a licensed concealed carry holder (as well as a firearm instructor) and just got the bike, as some of you know.  I started thinking last night about how I'm going to safely and securely store my pistol on the bike.  If I didn't live in the People's Republik of Ill-annoy it wouldn't be an issue.  But here we have so many "restricted areas" - 23 major ones that we cover in our class, and then individual businesses have the option of putting a "no guns" sticker on their business if the choose to.  Obviously, I try to avoid any business that feels like stripping my rights and is foolish enough to think that a sticker on their door is going to stop the "bad guys" from packing and using a gun wherever they feel like it.  Anyway...of my high horse.  What are any of you using for firearm storage?   I have a small lock box that I could probably adapt to a rear rack somehow....but I'm curious what others are doing.  For those that live in free states, this probably isn't much of an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Here's a summary of our restricted places:

Subsection (1) public or private elementary or secondary school grounds

Subsection (2) pre-school or child care facility or grounds

Subsection (3) officer of the executive or legislative branch of government grounds

Subsection (4) courts

Subsection (5) local government buildings

Subsection (6) detention facilities

Subsection (7) public or private hospital grounds

Subsection (8) public bus, train, or public transportation or associated buildings

Subsection (9) establishment that serves alcohol when they make more than 50% in alcohol sales

Subsection (10) public gathering or event that requires a permit (pass through provision)

Subsection (11) anywhere issued a special event retailer's license

Subsection (12) public playground

Subsection (13) public park, athletic area, etc...(pass through provision)

Subsection (14) Cook County Forest Preserve

Subsection (15) public or private college and associated grounds

Subsection (16) gaming facilities

Subsection (17) stadiums, arenas, etc... and their grounds

Subsection (18) public library

Subsection (19) airport

Subsection (20) amusement park

Subsection (21) zoo or museum

Subsection (22) Nuclear Regulatory Commission facilities and grounds

Subsection (23) Where prohibited by federal law

I would think the only real secure place on a bike would be a hard case or bag of some sort like some hard luggage there are plenty of good reputable companies that offer aluminum or plastic bags that can be locked. Although a bike is not an ideal place to leave a gun even locked up. I carry on my bike sometimes but never actually leave it on the bike when I'm not with it.

Wow, what a list...  You have to be VERY careful not to end up in a restricted zone.   I guess the bad guys also pay attention to the "list" of safe zones for them to be bad guys...

Wow, what a list...  You have to be VERY careful not to end up in a restricted zone.   I guess the bad guys also pay attention to the "list" of safe zones for them to be bad guys...

It's a magical force-field, don't you know?   Just look at how effective it's been in the city of Chicago.   :banghead:

I would think the only real secure place on a bike would be a hard case or bag of some sort like some hard luggage there are plenty of good reputable companies that offer aluminum or plastic bags that can be locked. Although a bike is not an ideal place to leave a gun even locked up. I carry on my bike sometimes but never actually leave it on the bike when I'm not with it.

Yeah....it certainly wouldn't be my first choice...that's for sure.  I'll try to limit the times I have to do that.  But coming into work is one of them.

Warner

Here's a summary of our restricted places:

Subsection (1) public or private elementary or secondary school grounds

Subsection (2) pre-school or child care facility or grounds

Subsection (3) officer of the executive or legislative branch of government grounds

Subsection (4) courts

Subsection (5) local government buildings

Subsection (6) detention facilities

Subsection (7) public or private hospital grounds

Subsection (8) public bus, train, or public transportation or associated buildings

Subsection (9) establishment that serves alcohol when they make more than 50% in alcohol sales

Subsection (10) public gathering or event that requires a permit (pass through provision)

Subsection (11) anywhere issued a special event retailer's license

Subsection (12) public playground

Subsection (13) public park, athletic area, etc...(pass through provision)

Subsection (14) Cook County Forest Preserve

Subsection (15) public or private college and associated grounds

Subsection (16) gaming facilities

Subsection (17) stadiums, arenas, etc... and their grounds

Subsection (18) public library

Subsection (19) airport

Subsection (20) amusement park

Subsection (21) zoo or museum

Subsection (22) Nuclear Regulatory Commission facilities and grounds

Subsection (23) Where prohibited by federal law

So basically, the only place you can carry it is just your home lol Edited by hedonist222

On a DRZ I have no idea. On my R6 it's easier as I can toss it under the seat if I have to, as it locks. I'd be afraid a lock box on the back of a DRZ would be a dead give away that there is something valuable inside.

If it makes you feel any better here's the list of where you can carry a Weapon outside of your home in New Jersey:

(1) Nowhere 

In Cali if we even speak out the word gun its mandatory life sentence.

Small enough could be put in the air box. 

I am constantly forgetting to stow my weapon  on my bike in some hidden place ;-)

I "accidentally" carry it concealed without anyone aware of it's presence so I do not blame them for not alerting me to my oversight

someday I will get a sticker for my bike

( Don't forget to leave your gun where it cant get you in or out of trouble ) 

somehow I do remember not to take it with me on days I may go  to Federal buildings or the airport (past the  passenger/security  check in  anyway ) or most places listed in your list  ,, well to some  point 

now you are at risk of loosing more than your CCW I imagine since your an instructor ?   glad I a not in your position or state

I did try to find a decent spot on the bike but the bikes get stolen so easily  it just seemed like a bad idea to leave them with a bonus gift

Edited by Zimman

I'm always LMFAO when I hear Americans speak about the firearms they own and carry with them.

Overhere in Western Europe nobody is allowed to have a firearm. Meaning nobody owns one, which means you don't have to protect yourself with a firearm against somebody else with a firearm (which has a snowball effect: having a bigger gun than the other guy).

Positive side effects: no school-shootings, no small children accidentally shooting their parents, no police brutality needed because every highway-speeder is potentially a shooter. 

Do you really have to carry a firearm when riding your DRZ?

I'm always LMFAO when I hear Americans speak about the firearms they own and carry with them.

Overhere in Western Europe nobody is allowed to have a firearm. Meaning nobody owns one, which means you don't have to protect yourself with a firearm against somebody else with a firearm (which has a snowball effect: having a bigger gun than the other guy).

Positive side effects: no school-shootings, no small children accidentally shooting their parents, no police brutality needed because every highway-speeder is potentially a shooter. 

Do you really have to carry a firearm when riding your DRZ?

Nah....not going to turn this into a gun control argument.   I'm glad you're happy where you live and I'm happy where I live. 

Warner

newchest.jpg

But, w/ a CCW. And, I don't care about stickers/signs on stores. They never know.

Nah....not going to turn this into a gun control argument.   I'm glad you're happy where you live and I'm happy where I live. 

Warner

:thumbsup:

I am constantly forgetting to stow my weapon  on my bike in some hidden place ;-)

I "accidentally" carry it concealed without anyone aware of it's presence so I do not blame them for not alerting me to my oversight

someday I will get a sticker for my bike

( Don't forget to leave your gun where it cant get you in or out of trouble ) 

somehow I do remember not to take it with me on days I may go  to Federal buildings or the airport (past the  passenger/security  check in  anyway ) or most places listed in your list  ,, well to some  point 

now you are at risk of loosing more than your CCW I imagine since your an instructor ?   glad I a not in your position or state

I did try to find a decent spot on the bike but the bikes get stolen so easily  it just seemed like a bad idea to leave them with a bonus gift

First and second time offenses for carrying in a GFZ (Gun Free Zone, or "Criminal Protection Zone" as I call them) will not result in the loss of the carry license.  I obey the laws, however.

Warner

In Cali if we even speak out the word gun its mandatory life sentence.

Small enough could be put in the air box. 

Yes...there ARE states that are worse than Ill-Annoy, but not many.  CA and NJ are two of them though.

So basically, the only place you can carry it is just your home lol

That's the perception.  And we get that question in class a lot.  But the reality is, not THAT many places are restricted or posted.  The ones that are, your car is a safe haven (with two notable exceptions).  For example, I can roll up in the school parking lot to pick my daughter up (with my CCW on me), and if I don't get out of the car, it's no problem.  If I DO have to go inside the school, I can leave the firearm in my car, concealed.  It does NOT need to be unloaded or in a locked container, as long as the car itself is locked.

Warner

The problem you have is once you pull it out to put it away it is no longer concealed and you could get pinched for that. I keep mine on me unless I'm in the dirt then it lives in the fender pack on the rack. I NEVER ride with one in the chamber and ALWAYS keep the safety on unless none provided (Glock or Springfield XD) I don't want it on me off road incase I crash... Won't feel good. But do carry because shady wackos and thugs seem to flock to the remote places we ride.

They never know.

:thumbsup:

The whole point of "concealed".

Wow, what a list... You have to be VERY careful not to end up in a restricted zone. I guess the bad guys also pay attention to the "list" of safe zones for them to be bad guys...

as I red the list I questioned if there was anywhere you could have your gun

*read

Edited by JohnCameron

That's the perception.  And we get that question in class a lot.  But the reality is, not THAT many places are restricted or posted.  The ones that are, your car is a safe haven (with two notable exceptions).  For example, I can roll up in the school parking lot to pick my daughter up (with my CCW on me), and if I don't get out of the car, it's no problem.  If I DO have to go inside the school, I can leave the firearm in my car, concealed.  It does NOT need to be unloaded or in a locked container, as long as the car itself is locked.

Warner

Sounds like the need for a custom lockable air box door. I don't have any sheet metal tools or Id make a stealth box incorporated in one of my racks. The locking lid in a weatherproof design is where I'm drawling a blank... you could make the box as the mounting point for the fender hinge it and drill it for a tool bag on top to hide the fact that its a box. Then use a cabinet type lock. :thinking: