Sign in to follow this  

[KLR600] Does this drum brake look good?

I'm looking to replace my rear wheel because my drum brake is completely oval. I found this on ebay, does it look in good condition judging from this photo? I'm asking because I've never seen a drum brake from inside before.

Thanks!

item133318-2.jpg

Edited by Motuca

Hi Motuca,

I can not tell from the picture if it is oval or not.  Wheel looks to be in decent shape. Brake lining is not rusted and I do not see a ridge around outside of lining that would indicate wear.  Check to see what information the seller can provide.  Will seller take it back if you do not like it?

Just curious, how did you determine that your hub is oval?  Not saying that yours is not bad; I just have not had this be a big issue in 25 years of wrenching.

Brake shoes tend to wear more on leading edge.  

Like to hear back

Thanks

Mike

Hi Motuca,

I can not tell from the picture if it is oval or not.  Wheel looks to be in decent shape. Brake lining is not rusted and I do not see a ridge around outside of lining that would indicate wear.  Check to see what information the seller can provide.  Will seller take it back if you do not like it?

Just curious, how did you determine that your hub is oval?  Not saying that yours is not bad; I just have not had this be a big issue in 25 years of wrenching.

Brake shoes tend to wear more on leading edge.  

Like to hear back

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is what happens: while moving, if I apply an even pressure on the brake it goes from almost locking to almost not braking at all, in a cycle. This behaviour had started years ago, then the bike was in "storage" for about 6 years. Last year I used it again and it was worse than I remebered. I had a shop change the shoes but the behaviour didn't improve (if anything it got worse). The only explanation I can find is that the drum is oval.

What do you think?

Good Day

I would agree that the drum is worn oval.  I wonder if the plate that holds the shoes has an issue.  This hub has a fixed pin that can be bent or have build up like rust or dirt.  The cam that is actuated by the lever may also be bent or have build up.  Either of these issues can cause un-even wear.    

Be careful shopping for a rear rim and hub.  You want a straight rim, tight spokes, good drum, clean outer for tube, and I would also get a good brake plate.  If the new shoes have wear I would get new.  Also look to avoid a hub with a outer ridge indicating wear.

Good luck and Happy Riding

Mike from Vermont