Sign in to follow this  

CR500 Clutch Wobble

Putting together the clutch on a 1990 CR500. It's all brand new: bearings, bolts, washers, pins, plates, etc.  I am short a torque wrench right now, so all I did was tighten the bolts lightly, but after it was together and I gave it a spin, it wobbles.  Imagine the way a bent rim slowly tips left and right when it spins fast.  I'm going to try and fix it by going through and making sure all the washers are where they should be.  Then I will make sure to torque the nuts that needed to be torqued.  Here's my last question - the small gear that is supposed to be pressed into the rear of the clutch basket - that is slightly loose.  It's most definetly not enough play to allow much movement of the basket, so I figured after it's all tight that shouldn't be an issue.  What're your thoughts?

Posted this to Honda 2 stroke but not much action over there, figured i'd put it here too.  ANyway, Putting together the clutch on a 1990 CR500. It's all brand new: bearings, bolts, washers, pins, plates, etc.  I am short a torque wrench right now, so all I did was tighten the bolts lightly, but after it was together and I gave it a spin, it wobbles.  Imagine the way a bent rim slowly tips left and right when it spins fast.  I'm going to try and fix it by going through and making sure all the washers are where they should be.  Then I will make sure to torque the nuts that needed to be torqued.  Here's my last question - the small gear that is supposed to be pressed into the rear of the clutch basket - that is slightly loose.  It's most definetly not enough play to allow much movement of the basket, so I figured after it's all tight that shouldn't be an issue.  What're your thoughts?

that gear is not supposed to be loose.

But it's not loose forward/backwards, nor up/down/left/right, enough to the point of allowing the whole basket to wobble as it does

Did you get the bearing that goes between the basket and the shaft it mounts on in there?

that press in gear should be TIGHT. With a new bearing and collar and decent gear the basket will wobble more than you would think it would. I just went thru this with several new sets that I had REMed.

Did you get the bearing that goes between the basket and the shaft it mounts on in there?

Yes, I did buy it. Everything is as it should be and in order.

that press in gear should be TIGHT. With a new bearing and collar and decent gear the basket will wobble more than you would think it would. I just went thru this with several new sets that I had REMed.

Yep, concluded that it needs to be tight.  the hinson basket is going back and im buying an OEM basket, as that already has the gear pressed in.