Sign in to follow this  

Brown Coolant!

hi

i just got my bike back from having the waterpump rebuilt,i noticed that the cooalnt is kinda brown,i read somewhere that it indicates a blown head gasket,but theirs no air bubbles in the coolant when the bike is running...any help?

Did the shop put in new coolant?

Your invoice should say so.

Your options are:

Drain the coolant,

Fill with distilled water,

Run the engine for a minute

drain

refill with 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, or a coolant mix.

Distilled water is available at Walmart for $0.60-0.70/gallon, one gallon is more than enough.

Any antifreeze is OK as long as it doesn't contain silicates, I buy at Walmart but a local Honda dealer will also have suitable antifreeze or coolant mix.

Change once a year.

Ok than guys I'll try that,just wondering if using rain water is fine as it the same as distiller water

No, do not use rain water. Buy a gallon of "distilled" water. Rain water can have all sorts of contaminants in it and the ph level will be low = acidic. Edited by Eddie8v

No, do not use rain water. Buy a gallon of "distilled" water. Rain water can have all sorts of contaminants in it and the ph level will be low = acidic.

ok thanks......I phoned the shop and they said I must bring it in,anyway I'm not going to,I've read somewhere that the incorrect mixture of coolant and water can cause it to go brown

I wouldn't be worried about it if it was just a slight brown hue to it. Just fill it up and ride it.

I wouldn't be worried about it if it was just a slight brown hue to it. Just fill it up and ride it.

+1

Now that's what I'd like to hear!

Not EVERYTIME I ask a question like "slight bog on landing" people go "just do a full rebuild including clutch'"

was just thinking considering you just got your bike back from the shop... i'd say the most likely explanation for the browness was they used old  coolant they had put aside

not a huge deal. change it for 4$ and keep an eye on it. if it happens again then investigate.

dextrol pre mixed at wal mart is 12$ for 4 liters.   or 15$ for for the concentrated stuff + a gallon of distilled water for 1$ gets ya 6-8 liters.

how old is this current fluid?

Edited by coryf89

also... you paid to have your water pump replaced????? thats a 20 min job and 30$ in parts... what did they charge you?

why wouldnt you do it yourself and order the parts off ebay for $40 USD???  its literally one of the easiest things to replace. 

Edited by coryf89

seal puller and bearing puller.... come onnnnn.

the bearing and seal are garbage anyways, pound them out from the back with a flathead screw driver and be done with it.  why do you need to carefully pull out a 8$ damaged bearing and seal with a 50$ tool thats going in the garbage anyways???   lightly tap the new ones in with a large socket the outside diameter of the bearing race and dome grease and done. look it up on youtube....

ive used car antifreeze (prestone from walmart) for 7 years now with no problems.  400 engine hours, probably changed it 3 or 4 times. cheap chinese oversize rads.  my bike is always in the mud and water crossing rivers. no problem whatsoever.

http://www.prestone.com/node/412?select_region=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Water-Pump-Rebuild-Repair-Kit-Shaft-Gasket-Seal-Bearing-CRF450-R-02-08-/400867178340?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACRF450R&hash=item5d558bb764&vxp=mtr

Edited by coryf89