Sign in to follow this  

KTM 500 exc "chugs" forward when started

When I start my 500 exc when in gear with the clutch pulled in, it "chugs" forward like the clutch is only partially engaged. Once it starts, it fine. Is this normal or is the clutch worn out?

When I start my 500 exc when in gear with the clutch pulled in, it "chugs" forward like the clutch is only partially engaged. Once it starts, it fine. Is this normal or is the clutch worn out?

Brand new 2015 does the same thing. I'd be interested to know if other have this happening.

I've rented several KTM's, all different models, some did this and some did not. I remember because it bugged me when I switched to one that did. My 2014 500 doesn't drag enough to lurch the bike forward, but you can tell it's dragging a bit when starting, if that makes sense. So in my experience, it's not desirable but might be normal depending on model. Maybe there's a way to eliminate it?

My 2014 has done this to me a few times too.  Seems like mostly when the bike has been sitting a while.  I've meant to try pumping the clutch lever a few times before starting it in gear and seeing if it jumps.  I'm wondering if theres a tiny bit of air in the clutch hydraulic system.

The clutch is hydraulic. If it sits a while this will happen until you get her running and some oil pressure up to coat the internals. Tolerances are a little tighter on these. Mine did this with 7 hours on it after sitting for 2 weeks

It seams to be normal when the engine is cold and I think its related to the cold viscosity of the oil, is this happening even when the bike is hot?

It seams to be normal when the engine is cold and I think its related to the cold viscosity of the oil, is this happening even when the bike is hot?

It happens all the time.  It does not matter if the bike is hot or cold.  This is my first bike with a hydraulic clutch.  

I have a 2015 500 EXC.

It's happened but very rarely.

What happens more often is that it stalls as soon as I put it in gear after a cold start. It'd be idling for a minute or two first.

The numbers Ive seen on motorex 10w60, its not really a real heavy 60 weight, it just barely gets into that category. its not really much heavier than ams 20w50 MCV , they are really comparable, from a viscosity standpoint.

I think the AMS is a better value money wise, assuming you can get it around $13 perquart.

The numbers Ive seen on motorex 10w60, its not really a real heavy 60 weight, it just barely gets into that category. its not really much heavier than ams 20w50 MCV , they are really comparable, from a viscosity standpoint.

I think the AMS is a better value money wise, assuming you can get it around $13 perquart.

So, this is caused by the oil viscosity??   :confused:

This clutch drag is for normal for your 500, and any wet-clutch bike bike for that matter... clutch drag can be more prevalent on some bikes more than others. In fact, many MX bikes are near-impossible to kickstart in gear with clutch pulled-in, wether hot or cold, due to clutch drag.

So, this is caused by the oil viscosity?? :confused:

Oil viscosity can be a factor. Normal clutch wear is also a contributor, as is a mis-adjusted clutch lever or a small air bubble in the hydraulics.

Start with adjusting the lever to the position furthest out from the bar to see the difference in the amount of drag.

Edited by mjruopp

Normal

You can adjust the lever to eliminate the drag, but then the lever is out pretty far....so then you get an adjustable blade lever.

I just ignore it and NEVER start in gear, unless stuck, as it wears out the starter, battery and starter clutch.

So, this is caused by the oil viscosity??   :confused:

I wasn't insinuating viscosity was causing anything, just pointing out a 50 weight has a variance, and so do 60 weights in their viscosities . The amsoil is at the high end of spec with viscosity for a 50 weight and the Motorex is at the lower range for a 60 weight, so they are similar is all Im was saying as far as usable viscosity wise, not a huge difference..

as to the chugging, I usually start my bike in neutral and normally squeeze the clutch several times during warmup, so the plates separate and get lubricant in between the plates. By the time I click into gear nothing out of the ordinary happens. I think ive only started the bike in gear once, and didn't noticed anything abnormal.

in the first couple hundred miles on a cold start when bike was New, I THINK FIRST GEAR, ENGAGEMENT  was alittle harsh, even with my warmup method, that dissipated seems normal now with smooth first time engagement off a cold start.

Edited by Spud786

Unless it's a must I start in N.While stopped at a light I put in N.

Push your bike a foot in N,now put in 1st.Feel the drag? With engine off!

I just thought it was normal.

Normal

You can adjust the lever to eliminate the drag, but then the lever is out pretty far....so then you get an adjustable blade lever.

I just ignore it and NEVER start in gear, unless stuck, as it wears out the starter, battery and starter clutch.

Start it in neutral?

Absolutely.  I would never attempt to start a cold engine in gear - - always start in neutral.  With a warm engine it doesn't make nearly as much difference.

• Like 1

After the bike warms up snap the throttle a few times with the clutch pulled in. The bike will go in to gear easer but there will still be some drag.

2015 exc 500 for test purposes

hot condition

okay I tried the putting the bike in neutral at a light and roll the bike forward about 2 feet, resnick into gear , no issue and it was smooth engagement.

Tried starting the bike in gear and no issue there either, you could feel alittle more drag on the starter cause bike was in gear, but nothing unusual .

Completely normal for a wet clutch. More pronounced when cold and with higher viscosity oils. Some have springs installed between the steel and friction plates to minimize the drag.