O-Ring chain or Non O-Ring chain

I'm replacing my chain and sprockets- Not sure on what type of chain to get- Any pros or cons for a o-ring or non o-ring chain

Thanks

IMO - Non-oring chains are just a waste of money.  

Spend the money on a very good o-ring or x-ring chain.  Name brand and high quality chains are the only way to go.  Just do some shopping to try and find a good deal.

DID ZVM2 X-ring,  Regina ZRDG,  EK  MVXZ  are a few that I have run over the years...  

• Like 2

Non O-ring generally cheaper, less drag,generally doesn't last as long. You can clean with any solvent without damaging o-ring rubber.For chain to last you should be religious about keeping chain clean and chain lubed.

O-ring more drag but newer technology has types of O-rings that create less drag than in past. Surface protected by grease under O-ring.Main emphasis is to keep O-ring chain from rusting-lube is under O-ring, Kerosene or other gentle O-ring safe solvent needed for cleaning chain.No GUNK or gasoline-damages O-ring. If you ride in sand or muddy surfaces I think added protection of O-ring worthwhile. Generally off-roaders prefer O-ring chain and track/MX'ers prefer non O-ring.

That said personally I prefer O-ring especially where I live in the sandbox called Baja. My 2 cents. :ride:

• Like 2

Whats the downside to running a NON o-ring chain on the street?

non oring chains are louder, and last 1/4 to 1/2 as long as oring chains. 

unless you have an auto-oiler, and set it to 'soak'. then it might last as long as an oring chain. 

• Like 3

non oring chains are louder, and last 1/4 to 1/2 as long as oring chains. 

unless you have an auto-oiler, and set it to 'soak'. then it might last as long as an oring chain. 

What causes them to not last as long?       

The o-ring chains last longer because the lubrication is trapped between the o-ring and the chain,  is that what it is?

To me,  it would seem less drag would be better for the street,  SM. 

• Like 1

What causes them to not last as long?       

The o-ring chains last longer because the lubrication is trapped between the o-ring and the chain,  is that what it is?

To me,  it would seem less drag would be better for the street,  SM. 

dust/dirt/rain/etc make their way into the rollers, and turn into lapping compound. it happens with oring chains too, but at a much slower rate than non-oring chains. 

there were dyno charts of xring vs oring vs non oring chains a few years ago. the consensus was: no difference. 

generally, street tired bikes put a lot more miles on them during the weekend jaunts than dirt bikes do. that kind of evens out the 'but it's in a cleaner environment' argument. 

either way, street or dirt, an oring (or xring) chain will last much longer. 

• Like 2

The only situations whereI would be using a non o or X ring chain is if I was racing on a small capacity bike....The o rings add more drag on the drive train which is more noticeably power sapping as capacity decreases...

I wouldn't consider this type of chain on a DRZ for general use.....Use X ring chain and buy some steel sprockets for longevity

• Like 4

what ever miles you get on an oring  , subtract about 70 % and that's your new mileage life for a non oring.   Or as soon as you order , already be ordering a oring , cause by the time the other gets there the non oring will be wore out.

the way i understand it the pins and the pivot points are the critical wear areas .. when that point wears from exposure to grit it lets the chain stretch and also allows it to 'flex' side to side more ..so the situation that follows is an increased pin-pin distance which allows the entire chain to ride higher on the sprockets, 'hooking' the teeth in short order .. anyway, yeah, an oring chain seals the pin pivot points .. i would imagine to get long life out of a conventional chain would require removal and shaking it out good in a bucket of solvent after each ride and hitting it with a moly lube .. just thinking out loud ..

The only situations whereI would be using a non o or X ring chain is if I was racing on a small capacity bike....The o rings add more drag on the drive train which is more noticeably power sapping as capacity decreases...

I wouldn't consider this type of chain on a DRZ for general use.....Use X ring chain and buy some steel sprockets for longevity

+ 1

what ever miles you get on an oring  , subtract about 70 % and that's your new mileage life for a non oring.   Or as soon as you order , already be ordering a oring , cause by the time the other gets there the non oring will be wore out.

truth. 

and then

Notice they call a standard chain a "race" chain? That's because that's how long it will last: a race

truth again. 

it sounds funny the first time you read it, but then you USE a non oring chain, and think to yourself, on the way home from the ride: "Man, i JUST put that chain on two hours ago, and I had to adjust it twice, in less than 100 miles. WTH ?"