Sign in to follow this  

should I buy this 03 crf 450?

Hello I am looking into buying a crf 450 its a 2003 and he is asking 1500 but said hed sell it to me for 1000. He says all it needs is plastics clutch cable and new gas and oil. Anybody know of anything to watch out with for that year bike or if that was a bad year for the any help would be appreciated.

That's a tough one if you can't ride it first. The early bikes had valve issues. But you can upgrade to a new style head. It all depends on condition. I think blue book is about 1000 running

Hello I am looking into buying a crf 450 its a 2003 and he is asking 1500 but said hed sell it to me for 1000. He says all it needs is plastics clutch cable and new gas and oil. Anybody know of anything to watch out with for that year bike or if that was a bad year for the any help would be appreciated.

He's lying.

Unless it only has a year of riding on it, it will need a lot more, period.

Take a reeeeeaaaly close look at the bike for wear.

If the clutch and ignition cover have all their coating rubbed through, then the bike has lots of hours and will need full service (typcially).

PICS!

Also, look closely at the left side frame, right below where you left knee would be, in the bend in the frame around the welded area.

The '02-'04's crack in the area.

Here is my '03 before I sold it. Look closely above the welded area and you can see the welded bead from my repair. After a year or two, lots of these frames crack here, due to a sharp edge left from the factory welding process.

03CRF450007.jpg

Jason