Oil consumption

Like William says, mechanic in a can type products don't do much more than separate you from your money.

If an engine is burning oil, something is allowing it into the combustion chamber. Worn valve guides, worn rings, worn cylinder, etc.

A leak-down test will pinpoint the problem area. But on an older bike like that with probably thousands of hours on the engine, It's almost certainly simply time for a complete rebuild.

• Like 2

When was the last rebuild? If it was recently then maybe something went in wrong? Just as a fun fact here. My dad has a yamaha TT350 he bought new in 1987 and he still has yet to change the piston/rings/valves or shim them. The engine has never been opened and still has the factory gaskets on it. Still starts first kick and he only changes the oil maybe once a year and he puts about 15hrs on it a year. He calls it his lucky whore. Never broke down. I think he got the indestructible model

Edited by Emkjr93

Old bike like this, most likely cause (other than general abuse) is sticking/sacked rings. Sometimes a few gaskets, pistng, rings, wrist pin is all it needs but... you need to start with a leak down test, then careful measurements of the bore.

On a bike that old why bother with all that, just rebuild it.  (Unless of course there was a recent rebuild and something is wrong.)

• Like 1

On a bike that old why bother with all that, just rebuild it.  (Unless of course there was a recent rebuild and something is wrong.)

Really depends on the condition of the complete bike. While financially, it may not be the intelligent thing to invest in a older machine, at some point, it can become a collectible. If it has been taken care of, it has value. I have a slew of bikes that at one time or another, were considered worthless and just old and now, coveted. Cost me nothing to retain other than floor space. I am more upset at the few I did get rid of. Think about a old bike, worth just a few hundred. Is the few hundred in the pocket really worth more than the bike/memories?

• Like 1

I don't know if they are collectible, but XR350s are pretty rare.

Yamaha RD350/400's were not either... until the late 80's. Think of the Honda SL's from the 70's, the CB 4cyl. bikes. Old CZ's, Maicos, Pentons.There were a bunch that people drool over today that at one point in time, were worth just a few hundred, today, many thousand, let alone a delight to have in a collection.

• Like 1

I don't know if they are collectible, but XR350s are pretty rare.

The old twin-carb 350s are rare for good reason, they weren't really very good bikes. They were notorious for over-heating, and the twin-carb set-up had it's own peculiarities. Oil coolers did help some with the over-heating, but it wasn't uncommon to hear riders complain about the plastic dip stick melting off, and the gas boiling in the tank.

Yamaha RD350/400's were not either... until the late 80's. Think of the Honda SL's from the 70's, the CB 4cyl. bikes. Old CZ's, Maicos, Pentons.There were a bunch that people drool over today that at one point in time, were worth just a few hundred, today, many thousand, let alone a delight to have in a collection.

Your not trying to say these are worth anything are you? I had the carbs off for cleaning here, but sold this bike running and road worthy for 350$ last winter. I figure that's about what it's worth. Maybe 1000$ with fresh paint and no dings.

1425429317459.jpg

Your not trying to say these are worth anything are you? I had the carbs off for cleaning here, but sold this bike running and road worthy for 350$ last winter. I figure that's about what it's worth. Maybe 1000$ with fresh paint and no dings.

The RD400 Daytona Specials are becoming quite collectible. The standard RD350/400s aren't really considered collectible, but they do have a bit of a following and can be worth something to the right person. The RZ350 has an almost cult status here in the states, and a good condition one can sell for more now than when it was new.

I have no idea what that is in your picture...?  CB400Four?

Edited by Chokey

The RD400 Daytona Specials are becoming quite collectible. The standard RD350/400s aren't really considered collectible, but they do have a bit of a following and can be worth something to the right person. The RZ350 has an almost cult status here in the states, and a good condition one can sell for more now than when it was new.

I have no idea what that is in your picture...? CB400Four?

CB750four. Actually a nice bike to ride and very reliable. Sold it to a 19yo college student and he still rides it just the way he bought it from me.