Sign in to follow this  

Need advice ASAP! Frame damage?

Just picked up an 03 CR250R dirtbike and saw that it didn't have the upper gas tank bolt installed.. then noticed somebody welded the hole shut and what looks like a hairline crack on the surface?! Is this dangerous and potentially a big problem?? I can live without the bolt but do I need do check further into this surface crack? Doesn't look like it's anywhere else except what is pictured! Help..

1425410897060.jpg

1425410912536.jpg

Take that to a reputable welding/machine shop. Ideally the can do some die tests to see how bad the crack is. It should be ground out, fill welded and re drilled and tapped. I'd have them use your gas tank as a template for the new hole location.

That hole isn't welded shut, looks like the tank bolt snapped off in the hole and someone did a lousy job of trying to drill it out.  The crack is frightening, not sure how a frame would crack there and not elsewhere.  I'd strip it down all the way and go over every inch of that frame!

• Like 2

That hole isn't welded shut, looks like the tank bolt snapped off in the hole and someone did a lousy job of trying to drill it out.  The crack is frightening, not sure how a frame would crack there and not elsewhere.  I'd strip it down all the way and go over every inch of that frame!

^^^^^what he said ^^^^^ but i think that whatever retard snapped the bolt off, then couldnt drill it out....decided to try to knock the broken bit right through the hole with a big hammer and punch!!!

assuming thats what has caused the cracked seam right there.....trying to force something where it shouldnt go!

• Like 1

I'd junk the frame and pick up one off ebay. It's either been severly overjumped and landed flat a lot or the front end hit the wrong side of a double jump hard. That's from abuse. Check the steering neck behind the plate, prolly cracked too at the same casting mark. I won't buy a used bike without checking for that crack ever again. Learned the hard way building AFs.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the great advice! Never had to deal with frame problems. I talked to my dad and he knows a guy at one of the best weld shops in the state that will get it completely fixed. He has done many other aluminum frames, steel frames, etc... he can do anything and he does it good. I'll continue to check for more cracks but so far I don't see any! I think a few of you are right about the guy before me trying to pound on it because the crack doesn't go far and that's exactly what it seems like it was caused from! I'll give yall and update when the shop takes a look at it Friday. Thanks again!

Thank you all for the great advice! Never had to deal with frame problems. I talked to my dad and he knows a guy at one of the best weld shops in the state that will get it completely fixed. He has done many other aluminum frames, steel frames, etc... he can do anything and he does it good. I'll continue to check for more cracks but so far I don't see any! I think a few of you are right about the guy before me trying to pound on it because the crack doesn't go far and that's exactly what it seems like it was caused from! I'll give yall and update when the shop takes a look at it Friday. Thanks again!

get the welder to look over the entire frame, regardless of the crack not going too far is meaningless until you know what exactly caused the crack.

if it was just a case of over tightening or pounding that spot with a punch, then the rest of the frame may be fine.

but if it was a stress crack from riding/crash chances are good somewhere else is cracked also.

don't take a chance that the rest is good, you could seriously injure or possibly kill yourself on a chance its alright.

There have been a few documented cases of cracks like that, usually been on gen2 bikes and usually the casting line down the front of the steering heads

Will definitely be picky while fixing this one. Thanks for the advice Excitable and for the link gmbond! I appreciate any extra help/info on the matter at hand! Should be able to get er fixed. We'll see Friday hopefully if the shop can get me in!

I'm not junking the frame because of one fairly common crack on these model years. It will get fixed, and it'll be okay. lol Its only an 03 cr250, not a brand new bike

I'm not junking the frame because of one fairly common crack on these model years. It will get fixed, and it'll be okay. lol Its only an 03 cr250, not a brand new bike

We're not telling you to get a new frame to restore the bike.....

It doesnt matter what year the bike is, 200$ and some work are cheap insurance. The ER will be far more expensive

• Like 1

If someone can find me a nice 2003 cr250r frame for $200, I will buy it.... closest Ive seen searching around is a 2002 frame for $350 on ebay.