Renthal bar question

ok ill put it back on.  I didn't like the way it looked on my bike and the bar was kind of heavy and I have see other handle bars with out it.  I am assuming now those bars are probably thicker.  So does that bar help support the handle bars?

Since they are probably 7/8th bars, I would put it back. Since it is a DRZ, I doubt there will be a Ken Roczen impersonation. Back when 7/8th bars were in wide spread use, some Enduro riders would remove the crossbar.

• Like 1

I did it mostly to cut extra weight but if helps my bars be more sturdy then ill def. put it back on.  I don't see me going that high in the air like Ken Roczen but i guess you never know.  So bars that don't have that cross bar are they thicker?

I did it mostly to cut extra weight but if helps my bars be more sturdy then ill def. put it back on.  I don't see me going that high in the air like Ken Roczen but i guess you never know.  So bars that don't have that cross bar are they thicker?

Don't worry about the crossbar if you aren't jumping. There's basically no chance of needing the pad or the extra strength it provides if your wheels stay near the ground.

7/8" bars bend easy in a fall, crossbar or no. Having it off makes the bars flex more which can be more comfortable on long rides. Case in point, streetbike bars have no crossbar or pad. I saw MX bars with crossbar and pad on an FZ6 the other day and it looked retarded. 

• Like 1

Don't worry about the crossbar if you aren't jumping. There's basically no chance of needing the pad or the extra strength it provides if your wheels stay near the ground.

7/8" bars bend easy in a fall, crossbar or no. Having it off makes the bars flex more which can be more comfortable on long rides. Case in point, streetbike bars have no crossbar or pad. I saw MX bars with crossbar and pad on an FZ6 the other day and it looked retarded.

I thought a lot of street bikes had bars that mounted directly to the forks?

Nah,between going to the gym and riding a WR426F I, personally would GAIN more that 10lbs. ?:D

Isn't the twinwall closer in comparison to the fatbar, in that it is a 1 1/8" bar? I would never remove the crossbar on a set of 7/8" bars. They seem to bend pretty easy in a crash even with the cross support on.

Now my contours on the other hand. They take a beating

• 2 weeks later...

If you take the crossbar off a 7/8 you get a lot more vibration which can cause arm pump. So by taking it off you have completely eliminated protection from that. 1 18 bars don't normally have a cross bar. That's why they are so thick so they can get away with not having one because the thicker bar cuts down vibration. So if your doing for looks and like the no crossbar look just go buy oversized bars because it's noticeably harder on your hands and arms at least on the track. I myself hate the look of a crossbar so I have pro taper contours. And wouldn't choose any other

Couple of points:

Aluminum doesn't have the the resistance to flex fatigue as steel so to resist failure  aluminum must be designed for less flex.

For liability reasons bars are designed for MX

I have removed the cross brace on Renthal bars used for trail riding so they can flex more and reduce harshness

I have also slotted the holes in the ends of the cross bar so the bars can flex more but still have bend resistance.

Based on the first point attempts to increase flex of aluminum bars haven't delivered big improvements in rider comfort, soft grips work better.

I have bent Renthal bars from tree collisions, the resulting crash was not fun.

IMO steel bars bend a ot easier.