Sign in to follow this  

Renthal 12 tooth front sprocket installed!

I just installed a new 12 tooth renthal front chainwheel and it is so awesome! When I got it new last year it just embarrassing to ride at the track especially if the track was real sandy in the turns, and on jumps out of turns etc. So first I did the pink wire and it really opened up the throttle and it was very noticeable. Still the X just felt like just lacking for a tight track. Instead of going into expensive upgrades, I found renthal makes a 12 tooth for my bike and bought it for about 20 bucks on amazon. When I first went throught the gears on my little private track, It felt like I was on a red fire breathing dragon that ate unicorns and laughed about it, compared to what it was before. I cant tell if I lost any top end ( but i know i have because of the gear ration)by feel but as far as getting down,it does it well. Thank you renthal for making my regret for not getting the R go away. I nope this helps the decision making for anyone looking for a way to really improve ur ride without spending alot of money.

First gear must be totally useless now huh? 

Edited by mossman77

First gear must be totally useless now huh? 

I just put one on mine. I wouldn't say 1st is useless, but it depends on how and where you ride. I ride a lot of tight woods where that gearing will shine. If you ride mainly open trails, desert, or track, this sprocket wouldn't be for you. I'm sure I lost a few mph on top end, but you can't hit 60mph where I ride, so I really don't care. Plus a sprocket change is only 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I just put one on mine. I wouldn't say 1st is useless, but it depends on how and where you ride. I ride a lot of tight woods where that gearing will shine. If you ride mainly open trails, desert, or track, this sprocket wouldn't be for you. I'm sure I lost a few mph on top end, but you can't hit 60mph where I ride, so I really don't care. Plus a sprocket change is only 10 minutes.

I guess I'm a little confused. Wouldn't you want a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket for tight woods so don't have to shift as often? I also own a 230F and went from a 13T to a 14T for this very reason. With a 13T, first was pretty useless and I would usually start out in 2nd. With a 14T, I am able to get more use out of 1st without needing to shift to 2nd so quickly. If I went with a 12T, 1st would be completely useless. A smaller front sprocket gives you lower gearing/faster acceleration, which would be desirable for MX riding, and a larger front sprocket gives you higher gearing/slower acceleration, which would be desirable for slow technical riding. I'm basing this on how my 230F rides, so I suppose it's not necessarily the best for the 250X. Totally different beast.

Edited by mossman77

That was the way I went and still am. the 12T front is awesome for some tight woods and the races I use the bike for here in Georgia. I'm pretty sure will ride a lot of the same style terrain. I can blast off the line in 2nd from a dead start and have no problem keeping up with 250 2t 

I guess I'm a little confused. Wouldn't you want a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket for tight woods so don't have to shift as often? I also own a 230F and went from a 13T to a 14T for this very reason. With a 13T, first was pretty useless and I would usually start out in 2nd. With a 14T, I am able to get more use out of 1st without needing to shift to 2nd so quickly. If I went with a 12T, 1st would be completely useless. A smaller front sprocket gives you lower gearing/faster acceleration, which would be desirable for MX riding, and a larger front sprocket gives you higher gearing/slower acceleration, which would be desirable for slow technical riding. I'm basing this on how my 230F rides, so I suppose it's not necessarily the best for the 250X. Totally different beast.

With a 12/53 combo 1st is still usable. Glad to see you edited your original post. 

Yeah, I was basing my assumptions based on my 230F, which tops out pretty quickly. I haven't had my 250x long enough to speak reliably about the gearing at this point. It's been too cold and nasty to ride--this weather is killing me!

Edited by mossman77

After riding all day with it, I like 1st for starting out on a steep incline like in creeks etc where you tend to stall ur bike. The take off is amazing like hudsen was saying. Anyways, I bought this bike because I havent rode a bike since 06, and wanted to go to a 125 equivalent. Does anyone here know anyone with a ktm 350