Yamaha blaster

Hey guys how reliable would a yamaha blaster be. I will mainly ride trails with hill climbs and some mud holes and also will jump it. Want to know all the good and bad about it. 

Sorry i just relized that i posted this in dirtbike section not atv. Not sure how to delete the topic though

Sorry i just relized that i posted this in dirtbike section not atv. Not sure how to delete the topic though

I'm a dirt biker, but I rode a Blaster on the sand dunes when I was 8-11 years old.  It's a reliable bike, but small in stature and only 200 cc of smoker power.  To make it really fun to ride, you'll need a few things.. FMF pipe and silencer, maybe a little porting work so it actually revs (they are almost like a KDX 200 dirt bike, the power is too mellow for anything aggressive), and above all SUSPENSION WORK. 

If you are jumping very much, it's not the bike for you.  You need more travel, which means a bigger bike. 

How much do you weigh?  And your age? 

To follow up on my comments, the Blaster 200 is a good bike but has its limitations.  I was pretty tall for 10 years old, but if you are over 5'6 and weigh more than 120 or 130 lbs, I would go with a bigger frame bike. 

I'd just buy a dirtbike.

I'd just buy a dirtbike.

i already have a xr200 and yz400f. Im mainly just wanting the blaster for messing around and southern ohio. Right now my fourwheeler is a yamaha breeze

also im almost 16 and wiegh 145. 

It will be very limited for you. and the older ones (Pre 04) have terrible cable brakes. My daughter outgrew hers by 13. look for a Z 400 or a 400EX.

It will be very limited for you. and the older ones (Pre 04) have terrible cable brakes. My daughter outgrew hers by 13. look for a Z 400 or a 400EX.

dont have money for one. Cant you always mod these up to beat 400ex and close to stock banshees

dont have money for one. Cant you always mod these up to beat 400ex and close to stock banshees

You will spend more money modding a quad that is already too small for you than just buying a z400 or 400ex.

You will spend more money modding a quad that is already too small for you than just buying a z400 or 400ex.

yea but i cant afford one of those right now. Have you ever had experience with one or just going by what people say

I've owned both. The z400 is 3 times the machine the blaster is.we still have the 400 and use it for trail riding. Save some more and get what will work for you.

yea but i cant afford one of those right now. Have you ever had experience with one or just going by what people say

I have had a Blaster in the past.  It was not liked by my kids, but I had a ball on it.  I took it to our most challenging boulder infested park and went crazy on it.  I liked that it was light and did what I asked it.  I took it up steep hills, over ledges, anything they had out there.  I am 6'2 and 210# and never felt like it was down on power.  This one had been set up with FMF pipe and silencer, rejetted, and really nothing else.  Got rid of the stock back brake and bought a bolt-on hydraulic rear brake kit.  I spent $150 or so on that, but it was well worth it since the stock brakes for my model year were crap.  I used to read some folks putting this quad down, but if you do a couple things to it, it is a really great machine.   But if you go to Blaster forum, you will find out a ton more than you ever will here.  That is also where I found the guy that makes the hydraulic back brake kits.  I think this machine was a load of fun, don't let anyone rail you down.  You buy what you can afford and then go have a great time.

I have had a Blaster in the past.  It was not liked by my kids, but I had a ball on it.  I took it to our most challenging boulder infested park and went crazy on it.  I liked that it was light and did what I asked it.  I took it up steep hills, over ledges, anything they had out there.  I am 6'2 and 210# and never felt like it was down on power.  This one had been set up with FMF pipe and silencer, rejetted, and really nothing else.  Got rid of the stock back brake and bought a bolt-on hydraulic rear brake kit.  I spent $150 or so on that, but it was well worth it since the stock brakes for my model year were crap.  I used to read some folks putting this quad down, but if you do a couple things to it, it is a really great machine.   But if you go to Blaster forum, you will find out a ton more than you ever will here.  That is also where I found the guy that makes the hydraulic back brake kits.  I think this machine was a load of fun, don't let anyone rail you down.  You buy what you can afford and then go have a great time.

ok that was the answer i was looking for