Sign in to follow this  

Old Gold Valves

Well, I've been working on this suspension forever. reading everthing I can find, think my eyesight is going out now, hoping to stumble upon the Holy Grail...the magic solution/answer..

Found and made some improvements, still working on changes... but i'm nearing the point where I'm leaning toward the conclusion that the only thing that'll work are the Gold Valves. Back in the day, seems like everyone was loving them on this bike.

Problem is can't afford them, then they'll probably say need stiffer springs.. that'll probably equate to me finding some used YZ '05 forks.. Can't do it!

I'm riding this dinosaur where I shouldn't.. rock riddled, tight single tracks, desert terrain and hill climbs, cause its all I got!

Anyone out there have some used Gold Valves they want to part with? Looks like I need FMGV 2832 for my bike.

Thanks

Edited by YZ Yankee

Even if you buy used gold valves. Your not going to get the code required to access their recommendations for shims.

The problem with your posts is your to vague. What is the suspension doing? What do you want it to do? How much do you weigh? Height? Skill level? Etc.

The guys who can help you will need that info.

I actually started a thread previously , detailing my needs and changes to my existing shim stacks..thread name HELP NEEDED: 1999 YZ400 shim stack.

I have come across suggestions to use with the Gold Valves..riders with similar needs on similar bikes.

Edited by YZ Yankee

I have a 1999 WR 400 . It has the same suspension componites  as the YZ. I have done a lot of changes on it over the years and for offroad rocky trails my suspenion works better than any bike I have ridden. My friends call it the standard by which all other our judged. The list of bikes I have ridden include two Jeff Slavens next level revalves. I can also tell you in my opinion gold valves will not do anything for this bike. If you would like my help PM me.   

Edited by VinceDC
  • Like 1

I have a 1999 WR 400 . It has the same suspension componites as the YZ. I have done a lot of changes on it over the years and for offroad rocky trails my suspenion works better than any bike I have ridden. My friends call it the standard by which all other our judged. The list of bikes I have ridden include two Jeff Slavens next level revalves. I can also tell you in my opinion gold valves will not do anything for this bike. If you would like my help PM me.

PM sent..

Thanks

• Like 1

Oh ok. Obviously didn't see that. Good luck.

Hey asian195,

Some details that I omitted from this post. I'm 195lb, ride with a 25lb pack and 3.4g oversize desert tank.

I ride open desert and tight rocky single tracks. I'm having the most trouble on the high speed compression side. The rocks are deflecting me big time, making it hard to hold a line(keep on the trail).

Between the deflection and serious clutch work(YZ's done like to lugg), I'm getting beat big time on the rides.

I'm open to all input and suggestions.

Thanks