YZ250FX vs 250XC-F from Cycle News

Interesting. Especially their take on the suspension. Having owned a set, imo the 4cs fork is not in the same performance galaxy as the kyb sss.

Interesting. Especially their take on the suspension. Having owned a set, imo the 4cs fork is not in the same performance galaxy as the kyb sss.

Amen...

Interesting they say the ktm suspension is better in the gnarly stuff but say the tires work better on the FX. Same tires... usually a sure sign the suspension is better.

I have a funny feeling they were confusing softer with better. Usually a sure sign there wasn't that much time spent on the bike.

My riding circle is exclusively ktm. All on "slow stuff" after 10+ people riding my bike 90% the first comment is "I wish I had this suspension".

Interesting power numbers too... such a gap it seems fishy to me.

Not sure but I think the FX has a Euro spec muffler like my YZ does in Australia. It has a baffle 1/2 way down that hurts power. 

The tyres worked better because the suspension is better.

I'm a little suspicious on some of the numbers. Maybe more to do with the way the manufacturers measure them.

The yzfx is a painfully tall bike, I get many comments on how tall it is by people just looking at it.

The tyres worked better because the suspension is better.

I'm a little suspicious on some of the numbers. Maybe more to do with the way the manufacturers measure them.

The yzfx is a painfully tall bike, I get many comments on how tall it is by people just looking at it.

True, but the KTM is even an inch taller. My sons 250x is taller then my WR450.

True, but the KTM is even an inch taller. My sons 250x is taller then my WR450.

Not in real life... I think they got their numbers backwards

Amen...

Interesting they say the ktm suspension is better in the gnarly stuff but say the tires work better on the FX. Same tires... usually a sure sign the suspension is better.

I have a funny feeling they were confusing softer with better. Usually a sure sign there wasn't that much time spent on the bike.

We should admit that we bleed blue, but you are correct.  Many people confuse feedback (feeling the bumps) with undesirable.  I imagine Cycle News has some experienced test riders, but the comments on the suspension is what you would expect from a less experienced rider.  

I've owned a 2014 250xc with 4cs forks and I can honestly say they were the worst forks I've had on a bike since the 1970's.  They did ok until you got to about 2nd-3rd gear speed and started using more stroke, then it was a disaster.  On roots and rocks, they would start to uncontrollably skip around.  After 7 crashes in one ride due to losing the front end, sometimes at scary speeds, I sold the bike.  And that was after two revalves by Factory Connection.  The 4cs forks felt like they had twice the appropriate oil amount.  When you got into the mid-stroke, they would seem to lock up.  They were absolutely dangerous at anything faster than a C-level speed. 

I saw the Cycle News article and noticed they didn't have skidplate on either bike so I don't know how hard and how long they rode them.

Not sure but I think the FX has a Euro spec muffler like my YZ does in Australia. It has a baffle 1/2 way down that hurts power. 

Does the bike run better with it out?

Not in real life... I think they got their numbers backwards

I'm with you. The FX is a really tall bike and I can't believe the seat is an inch lower than the KTM. As much as I like the FX, the dimensions are a real concern. The engine configuration/gas tank placement results in a tall seat and low ground clearance. You can see it when you look at the bike. The distance between the bottom frame rails and the top of the seat is really long. Giving up 2 inches of ground clearance to the KTM is ok on an MX track but not good for off road.

IMO the engine location has as much to do with the handling of this bike as mass centralization. Mass centralization helps pitch but doesn't do much for roll. Placing the engine lower in the frame improves roll agility and that's what helps the bike lean into turns and feel more flickable. But it comes at the expense of ground clearance.

Edited by moleson10

Just checked out a new wr, dealer didn't have any fx's yet. Wow, they are tall a lot taller than my 450. I'm 6' and I'm on my toes to touch. Weird design if you ask me. I know it doesn't really matter when your standing up traveling fast but I'm a trail rider, love single track and you find yourself in slow predicaments quite often. Quite frankly I was a little dissapointed.

Summit, It settles down a bit. there is almost no static sag on the dealer floor. That said I had the same concerns. I also thought it would have a 4t top heavy feel. Neither of these happened. I'm often off trail in log infested wreckage on hills and find it easier than my 14 XC. The first ride I thought I was on a skyscraper through the trees but haven't noticed it since. I'm somewhere around 5'11".

Harpinstuff, I enjoyed my first 10 hrs on my 14 XC then the 4CS nightmare started.

I too thought the test was odd - why not use the FMF Factory 4.1 RCT on both bikes instead of hampering the Yamaha with the PowerCore 4? Yes, the KTM has more peak power, but the Yamaha has more usable power. I don't know of anybody that rides a 4 stroke wide open in the woods unless you want to hit a tree. The KTM suspension would be a deal breaker for me - I too went the orange route with great heartache. No amount of money could make the PDS or forks work on my '09 300XC - it sounds like the same story on the linkage/ 4CS bikes. I was following a jap bike once in a hare scramble and was taken out by a root the other rider's bike floated over. That was it - I was done. I will not trust orange again, although the article did make the 250 XCF sound like the overall better bike. The KTM's are greatly overrated in my opinion, as well as Honda reliabilty, etc. I thought I never would own anything other than red (25 years on Honda), but my next purchase will be a '16 Yamaha YZ250FX.

I saw the Cycle News article and noticed they didn't have skidplate on either bike so I don't know how hard and how long they rode them.

Does the bike run better with it out?

Yes, My bike is a 14 yz250f we get the Euro spec muffler here in Australia  so yes it runs heaps harder and pulls from lower down without the baffle. Its horrible to remove :) 

I'm with you. The FX is a really tall bike and I can't believe the seat is an inch lower than the KTM. As much as I like the FX, the dimensions are a real concern. The engine configuration/gas tank placement results in a tall seat and low ground clearance. You can see it when you look at the bike. The distance between the bottom frame rails and the top of the seat is really long. Giving up 2 inches of ground clearance to the KTM is ok on an MX track but not good for off road.

IMO the engine location has as much to do with the handling of this bike as mass centralization. Mass centralization helps pitch but doesn't do much for roll. Placing the engine lower in the frame improves roll agility and that's what helps the bike lean into turns and feel more flickable. But it comes at the expense of ground clearance.

I measured the ground clearance and seat height on mine.

Easily 13 1/2" of ground clearance with  35mm sag.

Seat height is 38".

Ill have to look up the specs from my '11 350XC-F but the FX has more ground clearance, I could tell when I slid my lift stand under it. The 350 just barely cleared it and the FX it has at least and inch more clearance.

I love my KTM and there are things about them superior to other brands, but the front forks, as others have stated, continue to be the shortcoming compared to Yamaha suspension. Both great bikes.

I measured the ground clearance and seat height on mine.

Easily 13 1/2" of ground clearance with  35mm sag.

Seat height is 38".

Ill have to look up the specs from my '11 350XC-F but the FX has more ground clearance, I could tell when I slid my lift stand under it. The 350 just barely cleared it and the FX it has at least and inch more clearance.

That's encouraging and better than what Yamaha has in their specs. I think they have the FX at 12.7" ground clearance and 38" seat height. It's interesting how many people have reported the FX as feeling tall but the specs say it's not as tall as the KTM. I'm going to my dealer who sells KTM and Yamaha. I will measure both and report back.