Help planning Hatfield McCoy trip

Im probably going to be heading down this summer. I need help choosing which trail head is best for me.

Not familiar with Hatfield McCoy at all. Are all the trail heads completely separate trail systems (can you ride from one to the other). I'd like one with a decent amount of average difficulty trails and single track.

I'll be coming from a little east of Pittsburgh. Which one is the closest?

Which one would be best for me? Help appreciated.

Thanks

I would go to the regional section.  Should get some good direction there.

I would go to the regional section. Should get some good direction there.

How do I get there? Is it on the mobile app?

The same way you get to all of the other sections on the app. Touch wherever at the top and find the regional section. It's under Dirt Bike.

Edited by KcDavis

The same way you get to all of the other sections on the app. Touch wherever at the top and find the regional section. It's under Dirt Bike.

Ok thanks. It has always just put me in all the dirt bike sections or something. I have never pressed which section to get on in the app haha.

It's already in the northeast section for some reason lol. Weird

Some of the trail heads connect, some dont.

I like Buffalo Mountain and Rock house.  BM has the most single track of any system. RH has a decent amount.as well.

This link should show you on a map where all the trail systems are http://www.trailsheaven.com/special/map.aspx

Some of the trail heads connect, some dont.

I like Buffalo Mountain and Rock house. BM has the most single track of any system. RH has a decent amount.as well.

This link should show you on a map where all the trail systems are http://www.trailsheaven.com/special/map.aspx

Ok thanks I'll probably go to rockhouse. Do I need a separate permit for each trail?

No, one permit covers all the trail heads for a year.

No, one permit covers all the trail heads for a year.

alright sweet thanks

I like Rockhouse best of the three I've tried, for my level of riding. Buffalo Mountain is advertized as having the most single track and the highest number of challenging trails.

Little Coal River is advertized as the easiest, least single-track high digit trails, and its probably closest to Pittsburg since its the closest to Charleston WV.

You can get all the  map and trail information you need from the maps at http://trailsheaven.com/

As someone said upthread, the $50 yearly fee covers the whole system, its a great deal there are too many trails to cover unless you live there. Some trail systems are interconnected, some are not.

I found that the trail colors on the maps, and the numbering system are only guidelines. Green is easiest, then blue, up to red/black (like double-black-diamond on a ski trail). Higher numbers are more challenging, except that two digit numbers are passible by ATVs and three digit trails are single track. So its possible that 96 is harder than 105. But its clear that a 180 or above trail is serious.

I've made it up and back on one 19x trail without crashing. It was above my skill level. I've also found some green trails in the 30s that were impassible for me.

I like Rockhouse best of the three I've tried, for my level of riding. Buffalo Mountain is advertized as having the most single track and the highest number of challenging trails.

Little Coal River is advertized as the easiest, least single-track high digit trails, and its probably closest to Pittsburg since its the closest to Charleston WV.

You can get all the map and trail information you need from the maps at http://trailsheaven.com/

As someone said upthread, the $50 yearly fee covers the whole system, its a great deal there are too many trails to cover unless you live there. Some trail systems are interconnected, some are not.

I found that the trail colors on the maps, and the numbering system are only guidelines. Green is easiest, then blue, up to red/black (like double-black-diamond on a ski trail). Higher numbers are more challenging, except that two digit numbers are passible by ATVs and three digit trails are single track. So its possible that 96 is harder than 105. But its clear that a 180 or above trail is serious.

I've made it up and back on one 19x trail without crashing. It was above my skill level. I've also found some green trails in the 30s that were impassible for me.

Is there enough easy trails for the beginners we will go with for them to go while we hit single track at rockhouse or should we go somewhere else?

My son (now 12) and I go a couple times a year.  Stay on mostly Green and Blue trails.  We have a great time, conditions can play a big factor, one day a blue trail was nearly impassable (for us) it was wet and all greasy mud, the next day after drying out, we could hardly find the section we had so much trouble on the day before.  We like like Little Coal, but our favorites are Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse.  People on the trails and in the towns are friendly and we always have a blast.  

Edited by BuckeyeXR

Is there enough easy trails for the beginners we will go with for them to go while we hit single track at rockhouse or should we go somewhere else?

At Rockhouse, I think yes. You might have to ride the beginner's bike up one or two short hills, not a big deal. LCR is advertised as easier, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by pat22043

At Rockhouse, I think yes. You might have to ride the beginner's bike up one or two short hills, not a big deal. LCR is advertised as easier, but I haven't tried it yet.

Where do you store bikes? One kid doesn't want to go because he's afraid someone will steal the bikes from the truck lol

Where do you store bikes? 

At Buffalo Mountain, the inn had an area behind the inn surrounded by a 8 foot privacy fence where a bunch of folks kept their bikes. Another group just used the main parking lot, which is next door to the Matewan police station.

In Man for Rockhouse, we just chained them together outside our motel door, with a zillion other bikes and ATVs.

When I did Indian Ridge, I was day tripping in from Blacksburg, so I just took them home.

Most of the bikes that I ride with don't even have keys.

Bike storage depends on where you are staying and your concern about theft.  At LCR we just left them outside the cabin, the campground was quiet and only campers were around, and the owner.  Where we stay @ Buffalo Mt, I usually load them on the trailer at night and cable it to the fence.  It's sort of in town and off a busier road.  We've never had any problems.