Gearing? Am I wrong?

Ok so my oldest boy has joined a race team. I was talking to the team captain and just friendly chat. The subject came up as to what gearing we ran...I told him as of now we run a 13 front 50 rear. His response was "if your gonna race outdoors you might want to put a bigger rear sprocket on". I thought about it for a minute and asked why? I can understand putting a bigger sprocket on the rear for tight technical tracks to be able to stay in the power band ( by the way my son will be 14 and rides a kx 85 two stroke) but for out doors? Tracks are bigger, much faster than say arenacross. Am I missing something? Now I ride a ktm 125 smoker and I did go up 2 teeth in the rear and have been practicing my technique and turning better lap times, but the kx and the ktm are 2 different machines. Read a lot of info on this and thought I had I pretty good grasp of all this but hey I'll admit if I'm wrong.

Shorter gearing is more effective in tighter tracks, taller gearing allows more speed in longer tracks.

It depends on the track and the bike, with 85's they have to be in the power, so gearing makes more of a difference. Have him practice at some of the tracks and see what he thinks :thumbsup:

Ok so my oldest boy has joined a race team. I was talking to the team captain and just friendly chat. The subject came up as to what gearing we ran...I told him as of now we run a 13 front 50 rear. His response was "if your gonna race outdoors you might want to put a bigger rear sprocket on". I thought about it for a minute and asked why? I can understand putting a bigger sprocket on the rear for tight technical tracks to be able to stay in the power band ( by the way my son will be 14 and rides a kx 85 two stroke) but for out doors? Tracks are bigger, much faster than say arenacross. Am I missing something? Now I ride a ktm 125 smoker and I did go up 2 teeth in the rear and have been practicing my technique and turning better lap times, but the kx and the ktm are 2 different machines. Read a lot of info on this and thought I had I pretty good grasp of all this but hey I'll admit if I'm wrong.

The best thing you can do is get as much feedback as possible from your son, listen to his bike and watch his technique around the corners.. see if he needs to slip the clutch a little more, or if he needs a bigger rear sprocket (lower gearing) to keep it in the powerband.

Thanks, we are willing to try anything once and if it works hey that's great

When he raced arenacross, it was super obvious he need a taller rear. Though he did such a great job ( took hole shot in heat race and came in 2nd and fifth in the main) I have watched him on the pro track we ride at and he really holds his own on an outdoor track without changing the gearing.

'Team Captain' being a little kid or an adult? If it's an experienced adult I'd give his suggestion some weight and see if there's some validity to his point. If he's a little kid then go with what you feel works for your boy the way HE rides. 

If your boy is having to shift constantly to keep it in the powerband and there's a lot of overlap you can obviously gear up a couple of teeth and get him a longer drive between shifts. By the same token, if he's having to shift to 1st or clutch it constantly out of corners and it falls off the band between gears it's too tall. Those 85s are pretty picky about gearing with such a narrow powerband.

'Team Captain' being a little kid or an adult? If it's an experienced adult I'd give his suggestion some weight and see if there's some validity to his point. If he's a little kid then go with what you feel works for your boy the way HE rides.

If your boy is having to shift constantly to keep it in the powerband and there's a lot of overlap you can obviously gear up a couple of teeth and get him a longer drive between shifts. By the same token, if he's having to shift to 1st or clutch it constantly out of corners and it falls off the band between gears it's too tall. Those 85s are pretty picky about gearing with such a narrow powerband.

it was an adult, and he himself wasn't 100% sure. On the outdoor track he doesn't seem to shift as much. Tight tech stuff tho he has a little trouble in corners. Oh heck he is about due for new chain I may just try the 52 as suggested. For as inexpensive as they are it can't hurt. Seeing as he has never tried anything different it very worth trying and noting what changes he likes or dislikes. I wanted to change it out awhile ago just to see and he didn't want me to, told me he liked right where it was and I think it's just because he is comfy with it.

it was an adult, and he himself wasn't 100% sure. On the outdoor track he doesn't seem to shift as much. Tight tech stuff tho he has a little trouble in corners. Oh heck he is about due for new chain I may just try the 52 as suggested. For as inexpensive as they are it can't hurt. Seeing as he has never tried anything different it very worth trying and noting what changes he likes or dislikes. I wanted to change it out awhile ago just to see and he didn't want me to, told me he liked right where it was and I think it's just because he is comfy with it.

Yep, definitely change it up on him. Staying in a comfort zone isn't the way to keep improving. He may find that he can run a gear higher in some spots or fan the clutch less in others. Either way, small changes like gearing are good things to try.

Ordered a new x ring chain and 52 renthal. Can't wait for the weekend to have him try it out...heck I can't wait so we can go ride lol.