Sign in to follow this  

leaking water 2001 520MXC dual sport

Hey all.  So I've noticed water dripping from the small port in the water pump housing when I'm sitting at a stoplight.  Does this mean that the waterpump is bad or just that the seals are deteriorating?

I've done some research, it appears the older KTMs like mine I need to pull the head cover off to change the seal?  I watched the vid by TravisD_37 that mentions a conversion kit to fix that engineering SNAFU, but that was years ago....he hasn't been active on TT for a couple years now.  Anyone else know where I can get info on this?  I also read something about changing the camshaft bearings to prevent a premature catastrophic event.  Anyone have any good info on that?

Also, should I change the thermostat or just take it out completely?  I'm down in Florida, it is pretty warm down here most of the time and my bike does get pretty damn hot....it seems to run better when it's colder.

I'm also having a performance problem with my KTM.  It doesn't idle/run smooth, it's very erratic and sometimes hesitates under power, almost like it's about to stall.  I've looked into that, it seems that the KTM jetting and needle used in the FCR carbs are also an engineering SNAFU.  Of course the answer from JD Jetting is to buy their "fix it all" jet kit....I'm on a budget and kinda cynical so I'm looking for more of an answer than the JD "fix it" kit....

Are the ignition boxes on KTMs pretty good?  Durable and dependable?  Been wondering if it's the CDI circuitry in the ignition box taking a dump, which is causing the intermittent performance issues.....