Vitage experts, how to refurbish chrome parts that are rusty?

I have never rebuilt refurbished a vintage bike.

Have a 1991 KX250 that I took apart and cleaned and reassembled. 

Fixed what needed fixing and run it....or ran it until I got a four stroke.  But, will keep that old green machine.

The other day I came upon an OLD Suzuki TS125.  1974 so 40 years old?!

It is a funny little 2stroke that is STREET LEGAL.  My boy wants to take it apart and clean it all nice and put it back together again.  He will be ready for high school in style (when he gets his liscence....only 14).

I know how to take them apart, replace bearings and seals and all that.  Sand blast the frame and paint it (powder coat?).  Not wanting to dump a lot of money into it....got it for free (and it runs?!).

So, when cleaning up an old bike like this, how do we refurbish chrome? 

I have the heater warming up the garage and will go out there in a bit to try steel wool and Naval Jelley.  But I'm afraid it is to rusted.  Not just surface rust, but into the chrome.  Will see.

Guessing nothing to do but take the parts and have them rechromed.  Is that expensive?  Like 20-30 little pieces (blinker cups and posts, brackets, covers, ect)   They dunk them all at once and done for a quick $100?  Do I have to do prep work on the parts?  What about bigger parts like fork tubes and rims. 

Just learning and looking forward to wrenching with my son.  Not a lot of chrome on our KX250 YZF250 and his YZ85 so this is new to me.

mx%20%20TS125%20005_zps9ix21oez.jpg

Meant to post these couple more pics:

mx%20%20TS125%20008_zpsjr6s5d5i.jpg

mx%20%20TS125%20007_zpsmeopb337.jpg

mx%20%20TS125%20006_zpsb663ldk7.jpg

P1060170.jpg

Those rims should clean up pretty good, the plating on the headlight ears is pretty gone...If it were me I'd sand 'em down and paint them black, silver or blue.I believe plating is pretty pricey, try to clean that headlight with S.O.S pads, they dont scratch the way steelwool does on chrome. Do you have a quote of $100 to chrome all those parts? If you do that sounds really cheap! 

Re-chroming is more than just "dunking" them. And $100 is REALLY cheap.

You can try a rust soak product in a big tub for lightly rusted parts and then use some chrome polish/protectant product to slow the re-rusting.  The headlight bucket and brackets will need re-chromed for sure if you want them to look perfect.

Yes ManOfJunk, that is indeed what I am finding out.

I did not get a quote for "$100 to dunk a bunch of parts"....that was just me wishing.

As it has been pointed out:  Maybe, if cannot source some good used ones, just sand blast them and paint them black.

Not like we are trying to make a showroom vintage award winning show machine here.  Just refurbishing an old bike for the teenager.

Coo

As it has been pointed out:  Maybe, if cannot source some good used ones, just sand blast them and paint them black.

Not like we are trying to make a showroom vintage award winning show machine here.  Just refurbishing an old bike for the teenager.

Coo

That is perfect!  Its a good bike to cut your teeth on learning about working on vintage bikes.

You know these old bikes.

I'm looking to order a set of enduro tiures for it.

Front tire on it is 2.75x21  No problem finding that.

Back tire on it is 3.25x18   I cannot find that as a proper size anywhere.

Is there some cross refrence size that will fit thes needs for this 3.25 x 18?

Both are old and dry and checked and cracked.  Hold air AOK, just worried will come apart when we actually ride some miles on it.

Check out Kenda K270s (Dennis Kirk) They dont offer a 2.75x21 but you can, and probably should I.M.H.O run a 3.00X21 much better all around on and off road. They make a 3.50x18 rear that will work. These are great tires Cheap, long lasting,and good off road and on. I've used these on my Suzuki SP600 since the mid 90s and I usually get 5000 miles out of a rear tyre and the fronts never seem to wear out. I've bought 2 fronts, and 4 rears in the 25 years I've owned this bike. Good luck with that T.S looks like a fun project.

Edited by Charleygofast