Kill switches

So I was on rocky moutain atv earlier and found a tether kill switch and I often ride alone and through rocky rooty conditions so I was thinking about buying one any opinions ?

So I was on rocky moutain atv earlier and found a tether kill switch and I often ride alone and through rocky rooty conditions so I was thinking about buying one any opinions ?

If you ride alone why not?

Don't. Kill tethers are for machines that can continue on without a person aboard such as a snow machine, PWC or boat.

Once you fall off the bike, it falls too, tether not needed. You are much more likely to catch it on a branch, kill the motor and crash than have it help you.

Don't. Kill tethers are for machines that can continue on without a person aboard such as a snow machine, PWC or boat.

Once you fall off the bike, it falls too, tether not needed. You are much more likely to catch it on a branch, kill the motor and crash than have it help you.

You make a very good point but I was thinking more on the lines of me crashing and then having the bike keep going and tearing my leg up or something along those lines.

While chances are if you crash, so will the bike, I did 'lose' it once in a field (hit a tree stump hole). I fell off and the bike continued across the field for a 1,000 feet or so. But then again, people do win the lottery, get bit by a shark and hit by lightning on the same day, proving anything is possible.

If you feel better with a kill tether, get one. Accept while using it, it could snag a branch, cause you to crash.

You make a very good point but I was thinking more on the lines of me crashing and then having the bike keep going and tearing my leg up or something along those lines.

I hear ya and there are times when you fall and the engine keeps running in gear. It's a definite danger and I know of one member here who almost lost a fingertip this way.  

Like William said, that fluke stuff happens once in a while. If you can figure a way to route the tether so it doesn't accidentally get tripped it might be worth a try. 

Went off a jump practicing,wr426,and tether popped off on landing,I assume back wheel locked up,when I expected it to pull on my arms,as throttle was on. When I woke up seems the bike must have landed on my leg while I was face down. Out of work for 3 weeks,black and blue from groin to toes,and concussion,among other injuries. Great for ice racing,not so much elsewhere! Glad my buddy was there to help me up and get me to hospital.

I hear ya and there are times when you fall and the engine keeps running in gear. It's a definite danger and I know of one member here who almost lost a fingertip this way.

Like William said, that fluke stuff happens once in a while. If you can figure a way to route the tether so it doesn't accidentally get tripped it might be worth a try.

Possibly tied to your forearm and route it down your shirt sleeve and out to the switch

Possibly tied to your forearm and route it down your shirt sleeve and out to the switch

Then you'd have to be careful when scratching your junk.

I was thinking, attach to waist area- less likely to catch on brush.

Then you'd have to be careful when scratching your junk.

I was thinking, attach to waist area- less likely to catch on brush.

Another good idea, don't think it would be too difficult to route right.

I've had some moments I wish I'd had a tether switch..... Lol