Practice tire decisions....

Hi all,

Looking to invest in a rear tire which will solely be used for practice. Therefore, I'm looking for a really hard-wearing tire and I dont mind sacrificing the performance a little to achieve this. My local track gets quite dry and rocky in the summer and so im guessing a 'hard terrain' tire would be best?

I've narrowed it down to a few:

Pirelli Scorpion extra x

Bridgestone x40

dunlop d952

dunlop mx71

My original thought was the pirelli, but if anyone has any thoughts on any of the others (especially the bridgestone) I'd be grateful to hear them!

Hi all,

Looking to invest in a rear tire which will solely be used for practice. Therefore, I'm looking for a really hard-wearing tire and I dont mind sacrificing the performance a little to achieve this. My local track gets quite dry and rocky in the summer and so im guessing a 'hard terrain' tire would be best?

I've narrowed it down to a few:

Pirelli Scorpion extra x

Bridgestone x40

dunlop d952

dunlop mx71

My original thought was the pirelli, but if anyone has any thoughts on any of the others (especially the bridgestone) I'd be grateful to hear them!

Any of those tires will work great for mid to hard terrain.  The Dunlop 952 is a good tire, I don't have experience with the Dunlop MX 71, but the Bridgestone X40 is also said to be a good tire. 

Plz let me know what you choose, and report which tires work best for you!

If it is proper hardpack/bluegroove the mx71 is really good on that terrain. I worn out one is especially good when it goes like concrete!!

I know I will get laughed at for this but I feel that it is at least worth mentioning. I have had really good luck with the Artrax tires. Granted I only use them for practice and use the good stuff on race day but it is convenient and cost effective for me to have spare wheels for my Yz's and am currently looking for a spare set for my RMZ. Takes 5 mins to swap out the entire wheel. The performance is mediocre when you push them (obviously not on par with a good brand name tire), not bad but not good. The wear and price is why I choose to use them. They wear like iron but can be a bear to mount. Applying a little heat (either by using the sun or a hair dryer) works wonders though. 

Not sorry to say, but you should practice on what you plan to use. You have to get a feel for the way the tire feels, slides, brakes, accelerates etc etc. It's how you can adjust bike and rider setup around your tires.

I can only imagine it would be like 2 different kinds of suspension settings.

I've read several good reviews on the Bridgestone Battlecross series. I am torn between the x30 and x40. I ride a mix of everything and have been told the x30 is the best all around tire, however, I really like the knob spacing on the x40 and feel like it would hold up better over time. Decisions, decisions... 

I know I will get laughed at for this but I feel that it is at least worth mentioning. I have had really good luck with the Artrax tires. Granted I only use them for practice and use the good stuff on race day but it is convenient and cost effective for me to have spare wheels for my Yz's and am currently looking for a spare set for my RMZ. Takes 5 mins to swap out the entire wheel. The performance is mediocre when you push them (obviously not on par with a good brand name tire), not bad but not good. The wear and price is why I choose to use them. They wear like iron but can be a bear to mount. Applying a little heat (either by using the sun or a hair dryer) works wonders though. 

I'm not laughing.  I agree, their MX rear is a decent tire, works reasonably well in a variety of terrain.  BUT, their front tires SUCK.  I just sold a pair of Artrax and went with the Kenda K772s, but agree, the Artrax rear is a good budget tire.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I can see the logic behind each. 

BDubb, I think you have a very similar mindset to myself. I was using a D952 which is cheaper than the premium tires and that seemed to last a fair amount of time, hooking up pretty good at my local tracl.

The issue I am facing is finding out exact wear time of each tire. I understand that this is a very opinionated subject, that goes without saying, and so there will be many views. I have 2 wheelsets, so fitting the tire is not an issue (will only be 1 time).

Monk, I agree. Again, I was just trying to get an idea of wear time. If the X40 lasts almost/as long as the others then I would get that to practice and race. But I sometimes hear of tires that last twice as long as 'race' tires (I have some x30 and mx52's on my 'good' set). That to me seems like its too good to pass up, especially when my local track get dry and rocky and the tracks that I race on are softer.

Fulton, I think I may just go with with an X40 and see how many hours I get out of it. I'll be sure to report back on it as I cant seem to find out much about the Bridgestones!