About those Honda 2 stroke rumors

They don't even touch on why. Frustrating.

Because there is no real profit potential at this point.

Trust me. I'd absolutely love to see new two strokes coming out, but they just aren't a good idea for the companies at this time.

Maybe on day when Direct Injection works its way to 2T's someone will make a new one.

Who knows... Guess we just have to keep dreaming as of now.

Why arent they a good idea? I see more 2012-2014 ktm 2 strokes than 4strokes. If honda or yamaha got off their asses and made a woods worthy two stroke it would sell. I will be buy a ktm as my next bike for that reason. In europe look at all the 2 stroke support. 2 strokes out weigh the 4 strokes over there because......they mainly ride enduro style stuff. We americans are all caught up on perfectly groomed tracks and jumps enclosed in a stadium where we can plant our butts.

They don't even touch on why. Frustrating.

The reason why is that Schiro Honda didn't want to ever make a 2-stroke right from the beginning. The only reason they did was to compete against Yamaha and Suzuki in MX. Honda was late to enter the 2t realm and first to leave. In late 2007 they made a statement saying their world wide corporate policy was never to produce another 2t engine again. It's their philosophy that 2t's are perceived as having dirty emissions. The company is profitable for selling cars, small engines, and small motorcycles (mostly in developing countries). Dirt bikes don't account for much of their profit, just the opposite of KTM. My dealer friend told me that after 2007 it was better for him because they didn't have two competing bikes on the floor for the same market. Like it or not the 4 strokes are more competitive for MX so Honda doesn't need to produce a 2t. They stopped making 2t enduro bikes after the MR line in the 70's and relied on the XR's into the 2000's. And that my friend is the reason why.

As long as the cock suckers that went and changed the rules to give 4 strokes a double displacement handicap continue to run their retarded rules then Honda won't bother building anything other than 4t's.  

Honda thinks they can dictate what we will buy by feeding us a long line of bullshit.

Meanwhile KTM builds motorcycles that people want to buy!

I've owned Hondas since day one, but my next bike while likely be orange. 

• Like 4

As long as the cock suckers that went and changed the rules to give 4 strokes a double displacement handicap continue to run their retarded rules then Honda won't bother building anything other than 4t's.

Honda thinks they can dictate what we will buy by feeding us a long line of bullshit.

Meanwhile KTM builds motorcycles that people want to buy!

I've owned Hondas since day one, but my next bike while likely be orange.

i felt the same way. i bought a 2012 ktm and hated it. sold it and bought a mint '04 cr.
  • Like 1

Do you guys think that if the ama were to allow 250 smokers race in the 250 class in the professional ranks the manufacturers would start making them again? With the power advantage that some teams would have running 2ts, I would think it would force those who don't to start again to be competitive. What do you guys think?

Do you guys think that if the ama were to allow 250 smokers race in the 250 class in the professional ranks the manufacturers would start making them again? With the power advantage that some teams would have running 2ts, I would think it would force those who don't to start again to be competitive. What do you guys think?

The problem is that after 18 years of R&D the 4ts are faster mainly due to the extra traction and all the adjustability of the fuel injection mapping etc

I bet if you give all the goodies the four strokes have to a two stroke they'd be insane. Direct inject and computer control a two stroke and it could be one hell of a bike. A 250 2t like that would probably give a 450 thumper a run for its money!! And that kind of 250 2t against a 250 4t probably wouldn't even be a competition.

Edited by 250rider250

Surprised a direct injected 2t bike has not made it into production yet. BRP has been putting them in snowmobiles and out boards for a number of years with excellent results. Their DI 600 twin puts out 120 hp @8000 rpm in a relatively mildly tuned trail sled. No smoke and easy on fuel. Imagine A lightweight 300 cc 60 hp low maintenance engine in a dirt bike.