Sign in to follow this  

Stripped break rotor bolts

Now I know why KTM uses torx bolts on the brake rotors instead of cheap allen bolts.  I've never had a problem removing/replacing brake rotors on a ktm and the very first yamaha I touch I strip 3 of the allen bolts. Yes I used heat to loosen the locktite.

Any ideas on how to get the stripped bolts out?  I was thinking dremel a line across and use a big flat head screwdriver.

Edited by maxamillion125

The allen flat head bolt is to be held with an allen wrench while the closed end of a combination wrench is used to turn the nut on the backside.

You'll wreck every allen head on every sprocket bolt on any bike you work on unless you do it this way. Allen heads won't hold a lot of torque.

Agree, use a cutoff wheel to cut a screwdriver slot. Then just hold it with the screwdriver while you loosen the nut with a wrench.

Alternately, you can usually find a Torx that fits so tightly that it can be pounded in with a hammer for a good grip. Done this trick plenty and it works well on stripped allens.

• Like 1

The allen flat head bolt is to be held with an allen wrench while the closed end of a combination wrench is used to turn the nut on the backside.

You'll wreck every allen head on every sprocket bolt on any bike you work on unless you do it this way. Allen heads won't hold a lot of torque.

Agree, use a cutoff wheel to cut a screwdriver slot. Then just hold it with the screwdriver while you loosen the nut with a wrench.

Alternately, you can usually find a Torx that fits so tightly that it can be pounded in with a hammer for a good grip. Done this trick plenty and it works well on stripped allens.

Good idea, but there's no nut on the backside. I'll try the oversized torx wrench first and see if that works if not then I'll try cutting a slot.

• Like 1

.... except KTM uses standard 8mm bolts? Not Torx? They use Torx on the rear sprocket, but definitely not the rotors.

Thats right, all I remembered was I never had a problem with my previous 3 ktms doing either brake rotors.

Good idea, but there's no nut on the backside. I'll try the oversized torx wrench first and see if that works if not then I'll try cutting a slot.

What model Yami is this? Never seen a Japanese bike with threaded hubs... 

What model Yami is this? Never seen a Japanese bike with threaded hubs... 

Pretty much all of them. My YZ and both my Kawasakis are like that. We're talking about brake rotor bolts here, not sprocket bolts (which do have a nut on the back)..

Pretty much all of them. My YZ and both my Kawasakis are like that. We're talking about brake rotor bolts here, not sprocket bolts (which do have a nut on the back)..

Ah hell. Sorry OP, I re read your post and saw brake rotor this time. For some reason I was thinking the whole time about the sprocket.

Hope they came out for you. 

• Like 1

can you grab the head of the bolt with vise grips?

Maxamillion, I dont have a solution to your problem, but I have a brandnew set of rotors off of my 15 sx I can help ya with at a great price mxboy2661@yahoo.com

You do know he is working on a Yamaha?

I would drill them out. Just drill in enough to pop the head and then you can grab them with vise grips after the rotors removed