Sign in to follow this  

Clutch wont engage when in gear

I recently bought a 1999 yz125 and it rode fine but the other day my shift lever got stuck and wouldn't move until I jiggled it around then it came totally loose. Now when I try to engage the clutch in 2nd gear ( because it's stuck there) it won't engage so that I can move it. Please help.

Takethe clutch cover off and see whats happening inside. Is the basket grooved? Plates just stuck? Springs may be worn. Was the clutch adjusted wrong and dragging this whole time? Did u rock the bike back and forth while off to get it back to neutral? U shouldnt need the clutch to get it to neutral while off.

Takethe clutch cover off and see whats happening inside. Is the basket grooved? Plates just stuck? Springs may be worn. Was the clutch adjusted wrong and dragging this whole time? Did u rock the bike back and forth while off to get it back to neutral? U shouldnt need the clutch to get it to neutral while off.

I don't think it's the springs because when I pull on the lever I can feel the tension in the pressure plate but it just won't engage. And also the day this happend I did take the clutch cover off to see if anything was broke, and it smelled like the oil was burning, and it was SUPER hot. Could this have any affect on it? Maybe there wasn't enough oil in it and it got the clutch plates stuck?

My wifes 100 did this when her dad ran some oil in it not recommended. I took them all out and whiped them off. I had to get the apart with a flat head because they were that stuck. We ended up bump starting it after putting it back together and they worked themselves loose. Took 3 oil changes that day after getting the bike good and hot each time till it finally went back to normal. I shoulda replaced the plates but eh it still works 15hrs later.

My wifes 100 did this when her dad ran some oil in it not recommended. I took them all out and whiped them off. I had to get the apart with a flat head because they were that stuck. We ended up bump starting it after putting it back together and they worked themselves loose. Took 3 oil changes that day after getting the bike good and hot each time till it finally went back to normal. I shoulda replaced the plates but eh it still works 15hrs later.

Yeah that's exactly what I did... I asked the bike shop if there was any cheaper oil that could work in my bike and he told me to buy car oil...

Atf over car oil.

try automotive transmission oil, type F

would it be better than regular dirt bike oil?

Atf over car oil.

try automotive transmission oil, type F

So I took took off took off my clutch cover, and plates and was wondering what those grooves in my basket were. Do you guys know?

1425603620906.jpg

Thats clutch basket wear. How deep are the grooves? That WILL make a clutch not work lol. I havent done it but was told u can file it down once. When my baskets get bad enough that i can feel the grooves, i buy a new basket. My baskets got worn from not knowing how to use a clutch properly or an improperly adjusted clutch lol feathering the hell out of a 2T will do the grooves over time but when i was little i just dragged the clutch all the time lol.

So I took took off took off my clutch cover, and plates and was wondering what those grooves in my basket were. Do you guys know?

That basket is notched which is likely to be causing your problem. Either file down the teeth slightly or replace the basket.

I see your clutch hub lock washer needs to have the tabs folded over the nut to prevent it from loosening.

That basket is notched which is likely to be causing your problem. Either file down the teeth slightly or replace the basket.

I see your clutch hub lock washer needs to have the tabs folded over the nut to prevent it from loosening.

So I did what you said and filed down the grooves, but it still won't engage. I pull the lever in, and I still can't move it.

How are your push rod and the actuator arm? What about the clutch plates, worn out ? You mentioned burned smell and that they were really hot .  But in any case the basket needed some TLC :).

Edited by kauko40

So I did what you said and filed down the grooves, but it still won't engage. I pull the lever in, and I still can't move it.

That's normal. You have to place the bike in neutral to be able to push the bike around without the clutch dragging.

• Like 1