1999 Yamaha YZ400F- Should I buy?

Hello Fellow TT Users!

I'm looking at buying a pristine condition yamaha 1999 yz400f as my desert/open terrain bike. I currently own a 1998 honda xr250r which I love as my trail bike, but it just doesn't do it in the power department when it comes to any sort non-trail setting (Example: desert/cross country). The bike is in seriously good condition, and costs around $1250. I am under the impression that the yamaha would be great in all the performance areas, but would be expensive to maintain. My main worry is in the bikes reliability. Can anyone speak to this? Would this be a good bike for what I'm using it for? Anything to watch out for? Thank you all in advance.

They are a very tough and reliable bike- actually stronger than most and pretty hard to kill. I haven't owned one but several friends have and I have seat time on them.

The only two downsides are weight (a little heavy but not terrible) and I'm not a huge fan of the ergos. They are more of a sit-down bike which is common on all older MXers. Suspension is common for bikes of that era, soft where it should be firm and harsh where it should be soft. Easily revalved for better performance.

They compare pretty well to all modern carbed 4 strokes. If the one you are looking at really has low hours then it's a good purchase. Most of them are beyond clapped out by now. 

They are a very tough and reliable bike- actually stronger than most and pretty hard to kill. I haven't owned one but several friends have and I have seat time on them.

The only two downsides are weight (a little heavy but not terrible) and I'm not a huge fan of the ergos. They are more of a sit-down bike which is common on all older MXers. Suspension is common for bikes of that era, soft where it should be firm and harsh where it should be soft. Easily revalved for better performance.

They compare pretty well to all modern carbed 4 strokes. If the one you are looking at really has low hours then it's a good purchase. Most of them are beyond clapped out by now. 

I don't think that the weight will bother me as I'm coming from a '98 xr250r making 20 hp and weighing 260+ lbs wet. Thank you for the advice! By the end of today hopefully I'll be the owner of a '99 yz400f!

I don't think that the weight will bother me as I'm coming from a '98 xr250r making 20 hp and weighing 260+ lbs wet. Thank you for the advice! By the end of today hopefully I'll be the owner of a '99 yz400f!

Post a pic if you get it!