Oregon Dunes Suggestions

Oregon

My son and I are taking a week for Spring Break and heading to the Oregon Coast to ride. Any suggestions on the best places to ride. I know we all have our favorite places to ride for assorted reasons. Is there any place that we should really make a point to ride that is a notch above the rest of the great riding over there? I don't want to start home stick broke and confused wishing we had hit a certain area and didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Booger

I don't bother with a paddle there, it's a pretty small area and the sand is fairly coarse.

Winchester bay is our favorite. It offers the biggest dunes, but is the smallest by size.Also no beach riding. Next would be the spinreel to horsefall (coos bay dunes) While not the biggest sized dunes, the area is huge and offers everything from beach riding to treed trails to large rolling dunes. Florence is also large and offers good sized rolling dunes, some big ones too, and beach access.

It depends on what you're into, we spend most of our time between winchester and spinreel.

Oh and a paddle is absolutely necessary, especially on the big stuff.

Edited by brentk660

Oops, I just realized I misread the post  :banghead:  I have ridden the Coos Bay area and Florence I liked Coos Bay much more than Florence.....

Try to hit all three if you can. Winchester is my favorite. Florence and Coos Bay are great too.

Florence and Coos Bay are my favorites (never been to Winchester unfortunately). Definitely get paddles on the bikes!

For florence, look into camping somewhere cheap and hauling your bikes to either of the South Jetty staging areas. Likely cheaper and more peaceful than staying at a place with dune access.

Don't bother with Sand Lake. It's VERY small and way overcrowded.

Edited by Thinlineggman2

Thanks for all the input. We are all geeked up for this trip.

if you are spending a couple or more days I would go to North Bend to Spinreel for camping and riding, but would load up for a partial day and hit Winchester bay area. After a few hours Winchester bay gets boring due to its small confined area but well worth riding. I ride all the time without a paddle it is not needed.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We have a full week, so I think we will be headed to Coos Bay for a day and a half, up to Winchester Bay for a day then up to Florence for a day or so.

We really think coos to spinreel as the best. By far the biggest. Put a paddle on. You will be glad you did.

I don't bother with a paddle there, it's a pretty small area and the sand is fairly coarse.

No Paddle? Put some paddles on your bikes or you'll be wishing you did.

Be careful at Florence and Winchester, there's a lot of hidden drop offs, holes and soft sand that can come up on you real quick.  I've been riding these dunes for 10+ years now and two weeks ago the soft sand ejected me and buddy over the bars.

I think Winchester is pretty fun, but enjoy the Southern (Coos) dunes because they're so big.

If you're camping check out Riley Ranch, it's pretty nice and that's where we'll be for Spring Break.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/641558089306764/

Edited by duhameister

Definitely not sand lake.  when i was there last it was astounding how flat the area had become and how few lips were to be found.  I have had fun there in the winter, on weekdays.

Consider checking your jetting when you get there.  Not many places have as much WOT as the dunes.

Definitely not sand lake. when i was there last it was astounding how flat the area had become and how few lips were to be found. I have had fun there in the winter, on weekdays.

Consider checking your jetting when you get there. Not many places have as much WOT as the dunes.

+1 on the jetting. I had to go 2 steps up on both jets to get rid of the pinging with my yz250. Putting around the mountains jetting is nowhere near adequate for sea level WOT riding. Overheating makes the beach not very relaxing...

A paddle is not an absolute must in the dunes. Especially if dune riding is not going to be all too common for you. Took my Kawi out there the day after I bought it on the stock knobbie and it did just fine. Of course a paddle will do better in a straight line but I actually liked the turning on the knobbie better.

As for riding preference, I like the Horsefalls to Spinreel area. Big area to ride with the most variety by far. Open sand, trails, beach access. Winchester is so small it gets boring after a day or 2 max.

No Paddle? Put some paddles on your bikes or you'll be wishing you did.

Be careful at Florence and Winchester, there's a lot of hidden drop offs, holes and soft sand that can come up on you real quick.  I've been riding these dunes for 10+ years now and two weeks ago the soft sand ejected me and buddy over the bars.

I think Winchester is pretty fun, but enjoy the Southern (Coos) dunes because they're so big.

If you're camping check out Riley Ranch, it's pretty nice and that's where we'll be for Spring Break.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/641558089306764/

When are you going to be there? We will be leaving North Idaho on the 29th of March. We will hit the Stumpjumper White Knuckle race in Odessa Washington on Sunday morning, jump back in the rig and haul balls for the Coos Bay area and probably be there mid to early morning on Monday. It would be great to hook up with someone who knows the area. We'll be in a Blue Dodge pulling a 14' enclosed trailer. My son will be on a 12 Kawi 250 and I'll be on a CRF 450 - Both running Number 77.

Thanks in advance,

John

When are you going to be there? We will be leaving North Idaho on the 29th of March. We will hit the Stumpjumper White Knuckle race in Odessa Washington on Sunday morning, jump back in the rig and haul balls for the Coos Bay area and probably be there mid to early morning on Monday. It would be great to hook up with someone who knows the area. We'll be in a Blue Dodge pulling a 14' enclosed trailer. My son will be on a 12 Kawi 250 and I'll be on a CRF 450 - Both running Number 77.

Thanks in advance,

John

We'll be at Riley Ranch just south of Spinreel on the 10th of April.

If you're running stock exhaust, this place in Florence has direct dune access which makes it nice, and they are located just in about the middle of the dunes on 101.

Woahink Lake and RV campground (Ken & Katie)

http://www.woahinklakerv.com/

So, I'm looking at all the campgrounds in the area of North Bend. We'll be tent camping and pulling a 14' enclosed bike trailer. If the weather gets too crappy we'll crash in the trailer. I'd like to be able to take a shower at the end of the day to get the sand out of the less desirable and highly chafable areas. I'd also like to be able to wick the throttle a short distance from camp keeping other campers in mind of course. So far, looking Riley Ranch, Box Car, Spin Reel and the KOA. Any suggestions or preference from you folks?

Thanks in advance,

Booger

So, I'm looking at all the campgrounds in the area of North Bend. We'll be tent camping and pulling a 14' enclosed bike trailer. If the weather gets too crappy we'll crash in the trailer. I'd like to be able to take a shower at the end of the day to get the sand out of the less desirable and highly chafable areas. I'd also like to be able to wick the throttle a short distance from camp keeping other campers in mind of course. So far, looking Riley Ranch, Box Car, Spin Reel and the KOA. Any suggestions or preference from you folks?

Thanks in advance,

Booger

I think Riley ranch is the best bet for that end of the dunes, especially in a tent. The KOA down there is one of the rattier looking KOAs I have ever seen, not as big a deal in an RV. Riley Ranch is very woodsy and has nice shower facilities. Also spits you out right in the middle of the dunes so you can spend some time covering the north end, come back to camp for lunch and gas and then head out to the south end. Spinreel is very nice but small. I cant remember what the showers are like. Its also at the far north end so getting all the way to the south end is a bit of a haul if you expect to do alot of playing on the way. 

Spinreel does not have showers. You can duck under the yard hydrant for a quick rinse off though