Wanting to rebuild 06 crf450.

I am wanting to rebuild my bike but I do not have the knowledge to do so. Tearing down an engine is something I've never done. I am wanting to know a list of the tools I will be needing to tackle this project, and some helpful hints that I may run into while I'm in the rebuild process that is a common problem for most people. I do have a craftsman 4 or 500 piece tool set. I also have a service manual that I've been reading. And I have a friend that is currently about to graduate from college to be an automotive mechanic to help if needed. I know I am going to haft to be more educated with the engine specs. The reason I am dedicated to disassembling and rebuilding the engine with a friend and myself is because I want to know how to how to work on the bike by myself. I feel bad for owning a bike and not knowing how to change the spark plug. This isn't something I'm diving into next week either. I'm probably going to ride my bike for another summer and then get at it next winter to have something to do. I'm probably just going to do a top end rebuild (unless in blows this summer) , but I may replace the cam as well. Haven't decided yet. I am wanting to take the whole bike apart so I can clean everything up and replace anything that is due to be replaced. I'm wanting my bike to run, feel and look like new when it's done. Thanks for any info

I am wanting to rebuild my bike but I do not have the knowledge to do so. Tearing down an engine is something I've never done. I am wanting to know a list of the tools I will be needing to tackle this project, and some helpful hints that I may run into while I'm in the rebuild process that is a common problem for most people. I do have a craftsman 4 or 500 piece tool set. I also have a service manual that I've been reading. And I have a friend that is currently about to graduate from college to be an automotive mechanic to help if needed. I know I am going to haft to be more educated with the engine specs. The reason I am dedicated to disassembling and rebuilding the engine with a friend and myself is because I want to know how to how to work on the bike by myself. I feel bad for owning a bike and not knowing how to change the spark plug. This isn't something I'm diving into next week either. I'm probably going to ride my bike for another summer and then get at it next winter to have something to do. I'm probably just going to do a top end rebuild (unless in blows this summer) , but I may replace the cam as well. Haven't decided yet. I am wanting to take the whole bike apart so I can clean everything up and replace anything that is due to be replaced. I'm wanting my bike to run, feel and look like new when it's done. Thanks for any info

You will need a flywheel puller for sure. If your splitting the cases a case splitter is really nice but you can get them apart not using one it just takes some work to get them apart.  Its a good thing to want to do your own work but make sure you can at least do the job correct or you will be paying someone more money to fix your screw ups then it would of cost to have them do it to begin with.  If you feel comfortable enough though dig on in!

Really depends on how far you want to dig into the motor on what you need.  If the crank is fine then a good fresh top end and some new valve springs are always a good idea. For just doing the top end you really dont need and special tools but will need a torque wrench to torque the head and cam bolts.  If you replace valve springs then you will need a spring compressor to replace the springs. I always try to replace springs about every 40-50 hrs when i do the topend. New timing chain, and chain tensioner are always good idea to if you have alot of hrs on the motor.

Feeler gauges to check valve clearance is about the only other thing you would need. 

Just make sure you read the service manual really good and know what your doing or you can end up having a pretty costly fix at the end of the day if you get something wrong.

Where in IL you located? If you are close to me you could always bring it over and i can help you run through it if you wanted. You could do the work and i can just steer you in the right direction. I also have all the tools you would need.

Edited by trvshonda