Sign in to follow this  

Hawaii Hawaii Riding?

I've got a few questions and hopefully somebody here can help me out.

Firstly I have recently moved to the Oahu area and I am trying to find places to ride at.

I am also looking for people to ride with. That being said as far as my skill level goes

I'm somewhat of a beginner. I've only been riding for about a year or so and I was 

previously riding trails out in NH. I'm not to sure how different the riding is out here.

Lastly If anybody can recommend me to a decent shop that would be cool. Unfortunately

I live in an apartment and I don't have any place to do any work on my bike.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't live there anymore, but Kahuku Motocross track is the best.  They have a few track areas and a ton of trails.  What was nice about the place, was that if it gets too hard, there are easy ways out.  The place has about everything for every skill level.  I will be flying out there next month, hook me up with a bike and I'll ride with you.. :)

http://www.ridehma.com/

Edited by mch

I've got a few questions and hopefully somebody here can help me out.

Firstly I have recently moved to the Oahu area and I am trying to find places to ride at.

I am also looking for people to ride with. That being said as far as my skill level goes

I'm somewhat of a beginner. I've only been riding for about a year or so and I was 

previously riding trails out in NH. I'm not to sure how different the riding is out here.

Lastly If anybody can recommend me to a decent shop that would be cool. Unfortunately

I live in an apartment and I don't have any place to do any work on my bike.

Thanks in advance :)

Kahuku is the only legal place to ride on Ohau.  Pick up membership forms for HMA at Hawaii Rides in Wahiawa.  It's $30 for 1 year and costs $5/bike to ride for the day.  It's $10/bike to ride without the membership.  The park is only open on weekends and holidays.   The perimeter trail is beginner friendly and there are tons of intermediate to expert trails off of the perimeter trail.

As far as shops go, I avoid from Cycle City because I was treated like an idiot by their sales staff.  Hawaii Rides is solid and Domenicos in Kaneohe is good.  South Seas and Montgomery Motors are standard dealer experiences with friendly staffs.

I highly recommend you get the best Kryptonite chain you can afford and lock your bike up (frame to a permanent solid object) if it isn't already.  Dirt bike theft on the island is extremely common and they will break into garages to steal bikes.   Never leave your bike unlocked unless you're riding it.

Kahuku is the only legal place to ride on Ohau.  Pick up membership forms for HMA at Hawaii Rides in Wahiawa.  It's $30 for 1 year and costs $5/bike to ride for the day.  It's $10/bike to ride without the membership.  The park is only open on weekends and holidays.   The perimeter trail is beginner friendly and there are tons of intermediate to expert trails off of the perimeter trail.

As far as shops go, I avoid from Cycle City because I was treated like an idiot by their sales staff.  Hawaii Rides is solid and Domenicos in Kaneohe is good.  South Seas and Montgomery Motors are standard dealer experiences with friendly staffs.

I highly recommend you get the best Kryptonite chain you can afford and lock your bike up (frame to a permanent solid object) if it isn't already.  Dirt bike theft on the island is extremely common and they will break into garages to steal bikes.   Never leave your bike unlocked unless you're riding it.

I always wondered where the stolen bikes went.  I doubt many are chancing taking them to Kahuku.  Years back, a rider was killed at a Supercross race there and he was riding a stolen bike, so who knows?

I guess it doesn't get any clearer than that.  I was talking to one of my friends about shipping my extra bike back to Hawaii to ride when I'm back there, but realistically, it would probably get stolen.  I think I lined up a couple guys to ride with in a few weeks while visiting, so looking forward to riding Kahuku again.  Last time I rode there, I left with a shattered leg, then moved away to college.

hello hawaii riders, my daughters 2007 green kawisaki klx250 w/two brothers exhaust and lowering link was stolen this morning by a &%$#@! in hilo. he drives a lifted black 4x4 truck. he took it from her carport.she lives on a dead end road.if by chance someone is parting one out in the hilo area let me know please.thank you.

hello hawaii riders, my daughters 2007 green kawisaki klx250 w/two brothers exhaust and lowering link was stolen this morning by a &%$#@! in hilo. he drives a lifted black 4x4 truck. he took it from her carport.she lives on a dead end road.if by chance someone is parting one out in the hilo area let me know please.thank you.

still no info.on stolen bike. it has a washington plate or atleast it did when it was stolen..thanks for listening

I'm also looking for people to ride in Oahu. If your interested! I'm located windward but want to try out kahukus

I found a ride last Saturday, but we only had the one bike. I talked to people I encountered and asked to tag along since the place had changed a lot. I did a lap on the track behind some slower riders, then did a perimeter trail ride with a couple others guys I met. Seems like a lot of cool people, and the road going up there was pretty groomed. I took my mom's Prius up there, no problem.

I found a ride last Saturday, but we only had the one bike. I talked to people I encountered and asked to tag along since the place had changed a lot. I did a lap on the track behind some slower riders, then did a perimeter trail ride with a couple others guys I met. Seems like a lot of cool people, and the road going up there was pretty groomed. I took my mom's Prius up there, no problem.

Looks like a good time! I'm always looking for people to ride with man if you'd like to go towards the end of the month sometime il be back on island ready to go whenever!

Looks like a good time! I'm always looking for people to ride with man if you'd like to go towards the end of the month sometime il be back on island ready to go whenever!

I live in Las Vegas and have no idea when I can get back there and since I don't have a bike there, I can't count on anything.

I live in Las Vegas and have no idea when I can get back there and since I don't have a bike there, I can't count on anything.

I too am from vegas!! I'm actually here right now. I'm only stationed in hawaii for a few more months.

Just built up my desert bike. You ever looking for a desert partner lmk!attachment=242000:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430954498.175374.jpg]ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430954517.957829.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430954531.960477.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430954498.175374.jpg

I too am from vegas!! I'm actually here right now. I'm only stationed in hawaii for a few more months.

Just built up my desert bike. You ever looking for a desert partner

We ride every weekend, both days.  Meet time this time of the year is 7:00 am.  We have a core group of guys (about 4 or 5 of us), with another 5-8 (or so) who show up here and there.  Check this thread. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1119696-anyone-riding-around-las-vegas/

I ride every weekend with rmzpegger.. he posted a bunch of video.  You are welcome to join us anytime.  We normally ride at:

Apex

Ute

Searchlight

Jean 

• Like 1

We ride every weekend, both days. Meet time this time of the year is 7:00 am. We have a core group of guys (about 4 or 5 of us), with another 5-8 (or so) who show up here and there. Check this thread. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1119696-anyone-riding-around-las-vegas/

I ride every weekend with rmzpegger.. he posted a bunch of video. You are welcome to join us anytime. We normally ride at:

Apex

Ute

Searchlight

Jean

I don't think I'll be able to make it this trip home but when I'm home for good come this September Id deff like to tag along. Jean and searchlight are some good times!!

Thanks!

• Like 1