I am considering purchasing either a new or used ktm 2 or 4 stroke.

I currently own a klx300, which is street legal.  I am a beginer to intermediate rider. I haven't been riding much the last few years as I would like. Years ago I raced motocross on a kx250.  I am debating wether to go back to a 2 stroke 250 or go with the 350 four stroke.  Most of my riding will be trail riding, in the mountains or high elevation desert.  Some play riding.  My klx has overheated on some tight mountain trails, and powered out going up some hills.  I was looking into a a freeride 250 but they have pretty much sold out, and am not sure how they would perform on longer rides, especially in the high desert where I live, but for the tighter mountain trails, and the hills the torque would be great.  I was at the local ktm dealer and he was trying to convince me that the 300 would be the ideal trail bike.  I am considering the xc-w because of the headlight option and the wider gear ratio.  Anyone familiar with these bikes and know the pro's and con's?  By desert, sage brush and hills, a lot of 2 tracks and some 1 track trails.  Most of my riding will be around 6000ft, but can go up to 8000 or 9000 or low as 2000 to 3000 feet. Thanks

I currently own a klx300, which is street legal.  I am a beginer to intermediate rider. I haven't been riding much the last few years as I would like. Years ago I raced motocross on a kx250.  I am debating wether to go back to a 2 stroke 250 or go with the 350 four stroke.  Most of my riding will be trail riding, in the mountains or high elevation desert.  Some play riding.  My klx has overheated on some tight mountain trails, and powered out going up some hills.  I was looking into a a freeride 250 but they have pretty much sold out, and am not sure how they would perform on longer rides, especially in the high desert where I live, but for the tighter mountain trails, and the hills the torque would be great.  I was at the local ktm dealer and he was trying to convince me that the 300 would be the ideal trail bike.  I am considering the xc-w because of the headlight option and the wider gear ratio.  Anyone familiar with these bikes and know the pro's and con's?  By desert, sage brush and hills, a lot of 2 tracks and some 1 track trails.  Most of my riding will be around 6000ft, but can go up to 8000 or 9000 or low as 2000 to 3000 feet. Thanks

A 300 of any brand could work for you.

I feel that way considering your prior experience with the KX, the dez and tighter trails you say you ride (leaving the 4t boiling) and need for the wide ratio box (thus needing the torque to pull it).