metallic noise in the engine after mods

Hi I'm New in this forum , and novice in mechanic , i bought crf 2 years ago in thailand .i never had problem before . Afters mods stage 1 with new exhaust and ejk . my engine start to make metallic noise after riding 30mn on trails here in thailand, engine very hot the coolant boiling in the plastic tank. I check the oil was ok

Next days i replace stock muffler and injection . Metallic noise still there . Any idea about what happened ? Thanks.

Sounds like you overheated and seized something in the engine.

Did you verify what your EJK settings were? Probably much too lean, though not sure exhaust and any EJK settings alone can make it lean enough to damage engine (it can only add fuel to base map).

Does your fan work? Maybe you accidently disabled it and the heat gradually got out of control.

Edited by Hege

My setting was 3,3,6,5,4,4.5 then after 15mn.riding off road in thailand jungle ( weather here is very hot now) i changed for 1.5,2,3.5, and the fan start and never stop until i saw the red light of temperature .i stopped the bike and saw the coolant boiling in the plastic tank !! I wait 30mn. Coolant tank was empty ,i refull it and went back home .next day i replace stock exhaust , and injection. The metallic noise was reduced . I presume after reducing fuel my engine running lean , then less lubrification , if the noise is persistent what can i do ? Valve clearance ? I made it a month ago. Thanks to reply .

I'm not a mechanic, but try a mechanics stetoscope (or a large crowbar, screwdriver etc) to locate the sound. Could be something innocent, loose nut or worst case a seized piston/bearing etc?

My personal experience was this noise (I could hear it in the cylinder loudest):

Which meant this:

post-367930-0-15729500-1412341219.png

Happy hunting.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Hege

Yes it's the same but much smaller noise , thanks very much for your help.hopefully i live in thailand and the parts are very cheap here.

the cylinder head and camshaft was broken because i rode 15km without oil. News parts and work for only 140$.it's good to live in thailand where the bike is made i check a new crankshaft crf250l for 130$.

What we learn about this? Don't mess with EJK settings unless you verify with dyno..

What we learn about this? Don't mess with EJK settings unless you verify with dyno..

+1 ...  :thumbsup:

I agree .... I had my 305 kit installed by a pro and tuned on the dyno and I have never even looked at my EJK while the engine is running  .... I won't touch it ....  :prof:  

People ask me what my settings are and all I can say is ... "I Dunno" ....   :lol:    

+1 ... :thumbsup:

I agree .... I had my 305 kit installed by a pro and tuned on the dyno and I have never even looked at my EJK while the engine is running .... I won't touch it .... :prof:

People ask me what my settings are and all I can say is ... "I Dunno" .... :lol:

Ditto. I had some internet guru genius wizard tell me what mine should be set at, and once set, bike has been flawless and I haven't messed with it since. I believe this internet guru genius wizard goes by the name positron, or something like that :D

Ditto. I had some internet guru genius wizard tell me what mine should be set at, and once set, bike has been flawless and I haven't messed with it since. I believe this internet guru genius wizard goes by the name positron, or something like that :D

He is known as the Boy Genius in some circles .......  :cheers:

funny-cartoon-logic-jimmy-newtron.jpg

positron_logo1_1.jpg

The problem was not the mods , few days ago i went to a castrol mechanic for changing oil and oil filter , he put filter upside down!!! I rode only 20 km without engine lubrification ,cylinder head and camshaft broken . Today i pickup my bike from a good mechanic here ,only 20$ for the labour and 130$ for the parts .so cheap, this guy is specialized in crf and msx. Engine mods. I would like to replace mods stage1 ? But no dyno here , what do you think?

Good to know it wasn't EJK fault, I did wonder if it's even possible to make it too lean with simple mods. Stage1 even without EJK wouldn't be catasthropic I think.

Just put the stuff back and enjoy? Dyno is only if you want to fine tune it.

Thanks to reply , wich setting i must put with a airbox mods, a cheap yoshimura copy and a megabomb header copy made in thailand, 14/48 sprockets.

IMG_20150302_144051.jpg

Nothing wrong with the recommended 3/3/6, it's a bit rich by default, you can slightly tune it down..

dyno_s1_zps846698a7.png