Sign in to follow this  

SXS caliper?

Can anyone confirm if this is an SXS Brembo front caliper? If so, is it possible to get a support/adapter to allow it to be used with the KTM solid 320mm supermoto disc. This is on a 2009 model 250 EXC, and looking at the parts fiche it doesn't look like the OEM caliper.

IMGP5305.JPG

Can't help you with the ID.

If it fits the stock forks, and lines up with the stock disc: the common spacer (KTM hard part) should work with a 320mm disc.

(That's my theory)

So it definitely is the 'early' SXS 'Racing' caliper (with matching rear). After a bit of confusion because in 09 the 250SX changed to different floating shaft centres but the EXC didn't I found that you can use disc 58309060000 with Brembo (not KTM billet) support 58413014000. Don't try it with a thick floating 320mm disc like a Braking though (I know from experience with the 2011 350SXF). No point transferring the speedo sensor for speed hill climb use but I'll leave the cable in place for when I put in the spare set of 17s with road legal tyres.

IMGP5324.JPG

"Don't try it with a thick floating 320mm disc like a Braking though (I know from experience with the 2011 350SXF)."

Good to know.

I have one front wheel with a thick (Mototmaster) disc mounted.

I've only used it on the bike that had the matching caliper, but always assumed it would work on my Motard with the spaced out stocker (and thin 320mm discs)

What was the problem?

With the KTM 320 disc caliper support 77013914000 for the later calipers with 70mm centre slide shafts the support is too thick and fouls the bobbins on a Braklng floating disc. I had to take an angle grinder to it. It would probably  be OK with the solid 58309060000 disc I've fitted on this bike as it's just the bobbins that cause the problem. Looking at the clearance with this Brembo one I think it might also be a problem with a floating disc.

With the KTM 320 disc caliper support 77013914000 for the later calipers with 70mm centre slide shafts the support is too thick and fouls the bobbins on a Braklng floating disc. I had to take an angle grinder to it. It would probably  be OK with the solid 58309060000 disc I've fitted on this bike as it's just the bobbins that cause the problem. Looking at the clearance with this Brembo one I think it might also be a problem with a floating disc.

Ok I might try it with this disc sometime

(On my 690 usually)

image-2.jpg