Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 or WR250R?

I'm passing my klx250s off to the wife and I'm looking for a new dual sport.

How it will be used;

10miles a day commute to work

Trail and single track riding on weekends

3 or 4 overnight camping trips a year

I'm 6'2 190ish, experienced rider

Will the wr haul my ass? I'm riding faster and faster every day on the trails, my KLX is my limiting factor, will the wr allow me to advance my skills?? Ride faster? I owned a 04 klx400 so I know all about the drz400, I loved the low end torque and the suspension was way better than my klx250. But I didn't like the weight of the 400, the wr is the lightest of the jap dual sports so it is worth a look...

Anyways. Thoughts??

Edit...I'd love a ktm 350 or 500 exc but they are 4k more vs. the jap bikes, and it would be hard to thrash on a 12k bike....

Cheers

Matty

Edited by matty86suk

Your KLX400 will be very close to the DRZ400 with exception the KLX has a tad better suspended. WR250r is much better then both the other bikes except on power. With the WR you will need to do the free mod and a sprocket change at a min. Adding an exhaust and tuner makes the bike much more fun to ride. Stock tires suck off road so add this in the price. For the price the WR is hard to beat!

WR 450 is the way to go! My dad has a 2013 model and I plated it for him in California. The Fuel Injection is amazing. I've ridden it a couple times to work and on the trails a little. It feel just as light and comfortable as my '07 WR 250 but with 3X the power!

WR 450 is the way to go! My dad has a 2013 model and I plated it for him in California. The Fuel Injection is amazing. I've ridden it a couple times to work and on the trails a little. It feel just as light and comfortable as my '07 WR 250 but with 3X the power!

Unless Yamaha releases a wr450r I won't be able to plate it for the street here in BC. And I'd prefer to stay under 400cc for cheap insurance.

I owned a modded drz400s and my friend had a modded wr250. My bike had more torque for sure, but he still was able to keep up on the roads. I'd almost lean towards the WR because its modern bike, where as the drz is old tech. I didn't get a chance to ride the WR on any single track, so I don't know if the lack of torque would show there. I know you can still grandfather the older street legal dirt bikes for the street, so if you found a street legal wr450 or klx450 you'd be set.

Your KLX400 will be very close to the DRZ400 with exception the KLX has a tad better suspended. WR250r is much better then both the other bikes except on power. With the WR you will need to do the free mod and a sprocket change at a min. Adding an exhaust and tuner makes the bike much more fun to ride. Stock tires suck off road so add this in the price. For the price the WR is hard to beat!

Did the klx400 have better suspension? I though the bikes were identical except for the cosmetic stuff? But anyway...

I'm kinda leaning towards a DRZ for the extra torque, I realize the wrr and drz make about the same power but the drz has more bottom end, which might help when loaded for camping. I really need to test ride a wrr first I think. The EFI and lighter weight is appealing for sure....

I owned a modded drz400s and my friend had a modded wr250. My bike had more torque for sure, but he still was able to keep up on the roads. I'd almost lean towards the WR because its modern bike, where as the drz is old tech. I didn't get a chance to ride the WR on any single track, so I don't know if the lack of torque would show there. I know you can still grandfather the older street legal dirt bikes for the street, so if you found a street legal wr450 or klx450 you'd be set.

I'd like to buy new or a leftover if possible. I saw a klx450 a while back on the local CL, I even emailed the guy but he sold it before I could make an offer, 08 I think? And yah we can still buy and plate grandfathered bikes, I even seen plated kdx's and beta 2t plated here, some squeak through ICBC I guess. My local dealer has a drz and a 250r sitting side by side, maybe a can get a test ride??

There's a dealer in the okanagan that told me you could street register any European bike bought from a dealer. Its apparently only the Jap bikes that have the unregisterable VIN. Might be worth asking around.

I'd like to buy new or a leftover if possible. I saw a klx450 a while back on the local CL, I even emailed the guy but he sold it before I could make an offer, 08 I think? And yah we can still buy and plate grandfathered bikes, I even seen plated kdx's and beta 2t plated here, some squeak through ICBC I guess. My local dealer has a drz and a 250r sitting side by side, maybe a can get a test ride??

If it's single track you're are after then the WR will reward you even with the lesser torque. Personally I would look for a left over 350exc or maybe even a slightly used one. This bike is truly an all around do it all smaller bore bike.  

KLX and the DRZ are nearly identical but the KLX felt better off road. Was it the valving, fluid wt. or springs not sure. That's why I said tad better suspension.

What about dual sport options like a Beta 390 RS, or KTM 350 EXC? Street legal from the factory, under 400 cc, and will wipe the floor with the WR or DRZ off road.

Does your commute include speeds above 60?

I've owned both and the WR transmission is what makes it a GREAT dual sport. Stock it rolls around at 5mph and hits 85 without any complaints or annoying vibrations.

Once you gear the DRZ down for single track it sucks on the highway and vice versa.

The DRZ is better at slow hillclimbs IMO.

Edited by mikeylikesit
  • Like 1

What about dual sport options like a Beta 390 RS, or KTM 350 EXC? Street legal from the factory, under 400 cc, and will wipe the floor with the WR or DRZ off road.

Because you can't find a Beta left over or at a price like the other bikes. I would take a 350exc or FE350s over the Beta even if it cost more.

I own the wr250r and I love it. I use it mostly for commuting to work but its a great trail bike as well. besides being a little tall and geared too high for trails its been a great bike. im 5'10" and weigh 230 and its certainly powerful enough for me. I mostly ride mountain single track, the more difficult the better, and it has greatly improved my riding.

Does your commute include speeds above 60?

I've owned both and the WR transmission is what makes it a GREAT dual sport. Stock it rolls around at 5mph and hits 85 without any complaints or annoying vibrations.

Once you gear the DRZ down for single track it sucks on the highway and vice versa.

The DRZ is better at slow hillclimbs IMO.

What he said. Owned a DRZ for 10 years and the close ratio tranny was a pain!

I only commute 10km to work and 15km to the trail head of moto Mecca, the max speed I need to maintain is 80-90kph. So 55ish mph. I ran 13/47 gearing on my klx400 and it really shined off road, but 80kph was max cruising speed, but I could live with the trade off. I also run 13/47 on my klx250s and the 6th gear only helps a bit, max cruising speed is 90kph.

I'm still leaning to the drz400, sure the tech is dated, it's heavier but they are a tractor in comparison to the wrr, and last a long time with proper care(not saying the wrr doesn't, but the DRZ stands out as being more reliable)

On the topic of KTM,betas and such. I'd love one but can't justify(to myself) the entry cost. I also wouldn't feel right putting high km/hours on a race engine and expect it to last. I also own a mint 2007 crf250r that I use as a race bike(mx/HS)

I need(ok want) and bike that could substitute my crf but not replace it....

The best thing about the DRZ is the community support here at TT. If you have an issue or an idea, you can be guaranteed that someone has experienced it and posted about it. When you think you have come up with a unique situation,despite being wrong, fellow TTers jump in to help. THAT is why the DRZ is the best choice.

Edited by BlueHeart

Buy a $2000 street bike and a $2000 dirt bike.  Or, just get a real dirt bike.  I sold my dual sport and now pedal bike to work and dirt bike on the weekends.  I couldn't be happier and healthier.

Buy a $2000 street bike and a $2000 dirt bike.  Or, just get a real dirt bike.  I sold my dual sport and now pedal bike to work and dirt bike on the weekends.  I couldn't be happier and healthier.

there is nothing wrong with the dual sport class bike, it is the manufacturer's fault for not offering newer and exciting models for us to buy.

The DRZ400 hasn't changed for 15 years.  WR250R is 7 years old and KLX250S is 6 years old with carb.  The XR650L is anicent but still on dealer showroom. Imagine how long Toyota and Honda will last if they still put out 10+ years old cars today,  The CRF250L is just a little red pig.  KTM is over price and high maintenance, like a trophy wife.  KTM can do this because there are no competition in the 350-500cc class DS bikes. The good DS and supermoto bikes are purposely not offered in north America.  Ex.  WR450F is sold street legal with blinkers in Australia. Late models WR250X, CRF250M, FS450 are yet being sold in Europe.  

Edited by mrtt