Sign in to follow this  

2002 KX250 Jetting

So I've got an 02 KX250. Just moved from northern NV to Austin, TX!!! So I dropped from 5500' to 500' in elevation. I just ordered a JD jet kit as I know I'll have to change jetting. I've ordered one before for a Suzuki Bandit...but don't remember if it gives you a jetting table and elevations for a starting point.

So I'm looking for a basic starting point to start fine tunning from there. I've got a PC Platinum pipe and an FMF silencer. Motor is stock.

I've never done much jetting and am scared I'll seize the bike. I know it will be extremely lean right now.

Ok stock is kinda what I was thinking. And when checking the plug to I warm it up, go through the ranges of throttle then kill it and pull the plug? Or ride at the different jet ranges, kill it while in the jet range and pull it? I've heard both...

Set it to stock.

I agree. See how it runs and go from there. 

Here is the stock jetting for the 2002:

Main 165

Pilot 55

NAFF needle (i forget clip position)

• Like 1

pro circuit lists both stock settings and pc suggested settings.

Yeah I looked at the PC website and they say their jetting is for VP Race gas... would that make a difference if I only run 91 pump gas?

Yeah I looked at the PC website and they say their jetting is for VP Race gas... would that make a difference if I only run 91 pump gas?

Yeah just start with stock, their settings are for race gas, pipe, probably reeds, etc

If you run it 32 to 1, they are hard to seize. They go a long way on a pittance of oil.

So I just opened up my JD Jetting "Kit"...Its a whopping total of 2 Needles, 1 Pilot, and 4 mains...I guess I was thinking there would be more. For $75 it seems like I way over paid. Would I be better off sending it back and just buying individual jets from somewhere like jetrus?

So I just opened up my JD Jetting "Kit"...Its a whopping total of 2 Needles, 1 Pilot, and 4 mains...I guess I was thinking there would be more. For $75 it seems like I way over paid. Would I be better off sending it back and just buying individual jets from somewhere like jetrus?

Up to you but his needles and charts typically make your bike run optimal. IMO they're necessary for shitty carbs (Mikuni tmx) whereas the PWK does well on its own. You're paying for his needles and guide which are proprietary. His kits work well for someone that's not a tinkerer

Up to you but his needles and charts typically make your bike run optimal. IMO they're necessary for shitty carbs (Mikuni tmx) whereas the PWK does well on its own. You're paying for his needles and guide which are proprietary. His kits work well for someone that's not a tinkerer

Well then maybe I am better off keeping the kit hahaha

At sea level in Florida, for my '02 I'm running a 165 main, 52 pilot, 45 power jet, and a JD Jetting low-altitude needle.

The JDJ needle is better than any of the OEM needles that I tried.

Chokey, is this the kit you got?

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=22&cat=10&page=1

Seems strange to me that it fits 02-08

At sea level in Florida, for my '02 I'm running a 165 main, 52 pilot, 45 power jet, and a JD Jetting low-altitude needle.

The JDJ needle is better than any of the OEM needles that I tried.

What needle is the low altitude? Red or Blue?

What ratio pre-mix are you running?

Blue is the low-altitude needle. The JD instructions actually say to run the red needle in hot temperatures, but I don't do this, I find there is enough adjustability with the blue needle to leave it in all the time. I vary from the second clip to the forth depending on temps.

I run 32:1.