Injury rates MX vs XC

Hey guys, I had to quit racing moto a little over a year ago.  I thought I would move on and not miss it that much, butttt... I was wrong.

I want to get back on the bike really bad, but I cant afford any more head or back injuries.  Motocross is out of the picture, but does anybody know where I can find some accurate data showing the injury rates in xc vs mx?   Some sports have their statistics laid out in terms of percentage of riders injured each year.  Or stats like 300 injuries per 10000 riders.

I was better in the woods anyways lol..  I always thought woods would be safer as far as serious injuries go, but its gonna be a tough sell convincing my family and girlfriend to be okay with it given my past and the shelf full of broken helmets and casts and braces for every extremity. 

Hey guys, I had to quit racing moto a little over a year ago.  I thought I would move on and not miss it that much, butttt... I was wrong.

I want to get back on the bike really bad, but I cant afford any more head or back injuries.  Motocross is out of the picture, but does anybody know where I can find some accurate data showing the injury rates in xc vs mx?   Some sports have their statistics laid out in terms of percentage of riders injured each year.  Or stats like 300 injuries per 10000 riders.

I was better in the woods anyways lol..  I always thought woods would be safer as far as serious injuries go, but its gonna be a tough sell convincing my family and girlfriend to be okay with it given my past and the shelf full of broken helmets and casts and braces for every extremity. 

I dont know about stats. except for my own. I have been bustin my ass for a while. All the broken bones and surgeries I ve had and they are numerous have been from the race track. I do mx and a few xc and I always retreat to the woods when I m injuried. When I heal enough like a fly to dog shit back to the race track. I m hiding in the woods right now been in here a few weeks but I can see the track. LMAO  I should know better at my advanced years

i have only been to an MX track once, but iv raced enduro and xc for years. i have never broken a bone or had any serious injuries. you just get beat up, not broken on the trail.

XC is harder on your bike , MX is harder on your body.

though if you push as hard in the woods as you do on the MX track , the risk of injury is going to be the same.

Hitting a tree at speed will certainly spell disaster, BUT the thing about woods racing compared to MX is the speeds are much lower and your not 20 feet airborne.

Plus woods is WAY funner than MX :ride:

Hitting a tree at speed will certainly spell disaster, BUT the thing about woods racing compared to MX is the speeds are much lower and your not 20 feet airborne.

Plus woods is WAY funner than MX :ride:

Trees wont land on you either or clean your ass out from behind lol

I read something on enduro injury stats, pretty much the majority was below the waist injurys

I ride both xc and mx. I race xc. In the past 5 years, all of my injuries came from the woods. MCL and ACL tear, broken tibia, and broken collarbone in 3 pieces. Trees hurt.

I raced a lot of mx in my teen years, moved to england and raced karts there for 5 years, moved back to arizona and started racing enduro's and a few gp style enduros, I will say for sure that in the long run the enduro racing is going to be safer.

I did a report on injury in MX this past. While I didn't use the statistics directly I came across them in academic journals. Enduro riding is MARGINALLY safer than mx. This was tested with a couple thousand riders so pretty indicative. Both are dangerous.

I have ridden mx and xc for years. I have been hurt on the track and in the woods none very serious. As I have gotten older I have noticed that the truck is much closer to me after a wreck than being in the woods miles away from the truck. The last time I rode in the woods I wrecked and hurt my back and had to ride miles to get back to the truck and that was a painful ride.

good question. good point about medical help being closer at the MX track in case of emergency. I read a paper somewhere about physiology of motorcycle racing and it described the differences between MX and enduro/rally racing like ISDE. they indicated that enduro/rally had more extremity injuries. I'll see if I can find the paper.

Trees wont land on you either or clean your ass out from behind lol

That's right on the money there. It's your fault if you hit tree. If some knucklehead lands on you or rams you off the track it's still your fault for participating in such a dangerous activity.

I would imagine the difference in those statistics would be similar to the difference in the statistics of injury rates between skiing and snowboarding.

If you want to lower the risk of getting injured in the woods, ride slower.

I would imagine the difference in those statistics would be similar to the difference in the statistics of injury rates between skiing and snowboarding.

If you want to lower the risk of getting injured in the woods, ride slower.

but what's the fun in that ?