Sign in to follow this  

You Call This Woods Riding?

No wonder so many members in here think they can use MX bikes in the woods.  If you consider this woods riding you are on a much different page than many of us are on.  You could drive a tractor and trailer through most of the trails in this video.

Now I understand why so many members in here do not appreciate bikes like the XR200 and CRF150/230...

That 2T buzzing, racket, and vibration is something I do not miss at all...

Edited by VortecCPI

Some more technical stuff not suitable for a small 2T MX bike or squid riders:

20150128_121944_zps7co2tb5s.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fs6F501WPOQ

Or Gifford Pinchot National Forest:

Goat Trail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FMs3NkhYj-Q

Hamilton Butte switchbacks, my XR218 w/ a Trials tire cleans this switchback and climb.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 6

I would not want to be on the side of that hill with a tall stiff peaky 2T MX bike.  Or any of it for that matter.    No way...

Fun stuff.  Thanks Chuck!

Edited by VortecCPI

Anything a 125 T2 can rip on isn't much. Your first video appears to be forrest roads that my F800 GSA would be happy with.

We have such a varried terrian here in So Cal. just about anything a dirt biker could love. Some of our home made forrest trails are very gnarly hill climbs around the trees and some extreme up hill switch backs on un marked secret stuff.

• Like 2

Anything a 125 T2 can rip on isn't much. Your first video appears to be forrest roads that my F800 GSA would be happy with.

We have such a varried terrian here in So Cal. just about anything a dirt biker could love. Some of our home made forrest trails are very gnarly hill climbs around the trees and some extreme up hill switch backs on un marked secret stuff.

Oh come on now...  A 125cc 2T MX bike makes TWO TIMES the power of a CRF230!  Anywhere a CRF230 can go a 125cc 2T MX bike can go in half the time.  If you really want to go fast in the woods you need a 250cc 2T MX bike.  It makes THREE TIMES the power of a CRF230!  Anywhere a CRF230 can go a 250cc 2T MX bike can go in a third of the time.  Now if you're in a real hurry you need a 500cc 2T MX bike.  It makes FOUR TIMES the power of a CRF230!  Anywhere a CRF230 can go a 500cc 2T MX bike can go in a quarter of the time.  I don't even understand why Honda and Yamaha make these 230s.  They are so slow and weak you really can't have any fun on them and you can NEVER keep up with all your friends.

Not to mention the fact 2T MX bikes have PowerBands that 4T bikes don't have.  You can install a bigger PowerBand in any 2T MX bike and then you can really go fast up and down the street in a straight line on your bald tires!  Er...  I mean in the woods...  My buddy's CR450 has a special PowerBand (he won't tell us from where so we can't get one) and he beats everybody when we do cul-de-sac and sidewalk races!  Even the CR500s and KX500s can't win a race with him!  He had to wear the knobbies off ON PURPOSE just so he could get some traction!!!  His bike is BAD-A$$!!!

XR200s, CRF150s, and CRF230s are for little girls, old ladies, and mothers.  No real man would ever ride such a silly little bike.

Don't you people know these things???  I thought you were experienced riders???

That was fun...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 3

Riding a 125 through the woods will teach you very good throttle and clutch control. Those look like snowmobile trails

• Like 1

My 2 stroke, woods vids LOL. First time on these trails so i was going a little on the slow side.

missed a turn in the third video OOOPS.

Terri Millar, can you give me this kind of power in my CRF 230F

Edited by craig hammon

McNutt might not be too bad with a 125. You would have to be semi-skilled to ride it efficiently though. I will the YZ450F at McNutt can be a bit of a handful...

• Like 1

McNutt might not be too bad with a 125. You would have to be semi-skilled to ride it efficiently though. I will the YZ450F at McNutt can be a bit of a handful...

Understatement?

Last year on a ride in the Gifford Pinchot NF mountains one rider had a CR125 and he rode it up Bishop Ridge (stair steps & switchbacks) and Hamilton Butte (see previous video), but he had a Rekluse. There were times I thought he would smoke the clutch, but it survived, however by the end he was a very tired rider. 

Actually you can ride anything anywhere but sometimes not twice.

Hey...whoa...whoa...hey. why all the 125 bashing all of a sudden? If I had to choose just one bike based strictly on FUN, the 125 would win hands down.

• Like 1

Hey...whoa...whoa...hey. why all the 125 bashing all of a sudden? If I had to choose just one bike based strictly on FUN, the 125 would win hands down.

Well how about the 230 motor in the 125 frame.

Edited by stevethe

I don't think it is bashing per se but commentary on the many views of what trail riding is and what bikes work best, or in this case one bike working OK on one type of trail,  but others feel that bike is not so good on their trails.  The humor, if it is that, is about all of the different opinions about what makes a good trail bike.  

Well how about the 230 motor in the 125 frame.

Several threads on TT about those types of conversions. I have an XR200R engine in a RM chassis, a friend has a BBR/XR200, Service Honda builds conversions, I know a local Honda dealer who use to do CR/XR conversions. etc

The non MX motors seem to have power delivery that is better suited to more technical trail riding; while the MX chassis have better suspension, sometimes lighter weight, and almost always a longer wheelbase.

I don't think it is bashing per se but commentary on the many views of what trail riding is and what bikes work best, or in this case one bike working OK on one type of trail,  but others feel that bike is not so good on their trails.  The humor, if it is that, is about all of the different opinions about what makes a good trail bike.  

Several threads on TT about those types of conversions. I have an XR200R engine in a RM chassis, a friend has a BBR/XR200, Service Honda builds conversions, I know a local Honda dealer who use to do CR/XR conversions. etc

The non MX motors seem to have power delivery that is better suited to more technical trail riding; while the MX chassis have better suspension, sometimes lighter weight, and almost always a longer wheelbase.

Well yea not to bash 125 2T's too bad. The one place they may not excel too well might be at altitude on a very difficult up hill trail around trees and through rocks. I have never seen one on some of our un marked tough stuff. Even 250 2T and a Husky 300 4T has had trouble. In our mountains torque is important off the bottom. The 125's don't have a lot off the bottom it's usually all on the top.

On one ride I mentioned the CR125 w/ Rekluse was successful, I didn't think a 125 2T could manage Bishop/Hamilton but the Rekluse made the difference. 

The Bishop Ridge climb is difficult and tiring because the trail is littered with rock debris like a creek bed, switchback after switchback vs only a few going up Hamilton Butte, many stair steps, and much longer with far more vertical than Hamilton.  The bike can make all the difference in how tired you are at the top. :ride:

I, and others, keep saying a wheelbase shorter than a MX bike is needed for technical riding, but the easiest bike for me to use on the Bishop Ridge climb is a RM/XR w/  suspension set up for trails. The bike has compliant suspension and tractable power that seems to work better than other bikes on difficult climbs.

Some GF climbing trail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XYLpapHhEEQ

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Yea so I've nicknamed mine the mini bike. Every time when one of the big bikes gets punshed the other riders say oh you just got punished by a mini bike!

I don't need to say a word.

That's funny,,,,, I have named mine MINI BIKE also!!!!
  • Like 1

Interesting discussions on the different trails that we ride. :thumbsup:

There is a thread in the General Forum about Trials tires that has some good video of the McNutt trail in BC.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1122614-why-do-people-put-trials-tires-on-their-bikes/

The McNutt videos start at post #109

another

If you go to youtube there are videos of some  more difficult trail sections in BC.

My fav video demostrating how a radial Trials tire works

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=two+ply+trials+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=3A188534B1AA543092183A188534B1AA54309218