Sign in to follow this  

Tire Hitting MRD Can

Hey guys, after riding with the MRD Z-Pro and riding around normally (no jumps), I'm finding tire rub marks on the inner side of the can. It doesn't look too bad, but I was wondering if you guys had the same issue? I'm running a 150 Pilot Road 4 in the back. Thanks.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425485628.463213.jpg

Mine rubs but not from normal riding. Stairs ( I call em "urban hillclimbs") and jumps mostly. You can try to shim your exhaust out with some washers. Is your shock really squishy or something?

Haven't found anything to remove the marks yet, might try soda blasting

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 1

You probably need to put spacer on the mounting bracket to push it out a little

You wouldnt have that rub if you have a well built exhaust (inside joke) carry on

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a bigger problem if your tire rubs the can from "normal" riding.

1. Is your bike lowered?

2. is it set up for a 110lb person and your 250lbs?

3. How the hell is the even possible with just plain normal street riding?

• Like 1

Stock suspension, I weigh 190. Not lowered either. 

Edit- the suspension seems squishy, though. I'll try to mess with the clickers.

Edited by dirznut

I weigh about 10 lbs less then you with my gear and I ride pretty hard of road and never hit my exhaust. You can shim it out but that's just a band aid I'd say you need some suspension work if it's happening during normal riding.

• Like 1

bike ever been crashed?  bent subframe?

I weight 175 and have had 160 pilot power and pilot road2 and never rubbed on the big stock exhaust.

shim it!

• Like 2

I had that problem, but only because I had the passenger pegs removed and didn't have the mount there. Made a mount, all nice and stiff. I go at it pretty hard and there is no more rubber on my pipe.

Normally, there is over an inch of clearance at full compression of the suspension. Your contact is because either the pipe is installed wrong or the subframe is bent.

Plenty of posts of the MRD rubbing SM tires at full compression, surely we can't all have bent subframes?

You saying you can disconnect the linkage and move the wheel all the way up without touching the exhaust with a 150 rear and Z pro? Because I never could and I know my pipe is mounted correctly and subframe is straight

I've seen SSW race bikes with rub marks, it happens. OP needs his suspension set up properly first and foremost

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

After comparing a factory sm with the MRD, the other drz had the rub marks even worse and the rider is about 150lbs. He does do some crazy jumps, though. I'm certain than neither of our subframes are bent. For a moment I thought the reason could be that my drz is an S model with 17's, but the above comparison proved that otherwise. I guess there would be more clearance with knobbies on a narrower 18".

for what it;s worth, i have some tire marks on my FMF can from my knobbies(120-100-18 was my biggest i think). But i really put the suspension through its paces so i'm not too worried.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425485628.463213.jpg

Mine rubs but not from normal riding. Stairs ( I call em "urban hillclimbs") and jumps mostly. You can try to shim your exhaust out with some washers. Is your shock really squishy or something?

Haven't found anything to remove the marks yet, might try soda blasting

wd40 will take the rubber right off.

Definitely rubbage.  The mid is shimmed so it doesn't rub the frame.  The can is shimmed out the other way.  I'm running a 150 PR3.  If it isn't "slamming" into it I wouldn't worry.  Nothing wrong with a little rub every now and then.  My wheel is centered in the swing arm, and I'm not sure if a real SM is or not.  But mine rubs both sides equally.  As I have a tool tube as well.

Define crashed/bent?  It's a dirt bike I try to rest it equal amounts on both sides....

Just FYI.  DRZ's are not symmetrical.  Wheel centers don't align and they don't align with the frame and the engine is not centered in the frame.  It doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

I run a MRD Z Pro . A 150 pilot power on my Motard wheels and a really big Motoz Tractionator on my dirt wheels . I weighed myself with my gear on and I was at 240 lbs. no tire rub .

• Like 1