Sign in to follow this  

KTM EXC 2002 vs. 2009 for $1600 more?

I'm interested in a KTM exc 200 and have an option for a:

2002 with a whole new topend, newly plated cylinder, new piston, with only 20hr or so on it, never raced.

2009 with 30hr after topend, raced 4 times, used as a training bike otherwise – cost is about $1600-1900 more.

--

Both bikes are in good shape from what I can tell, I'm wondering if there are really any massive changes that would make the 2009 worth that extra cost? The FAQ ends at 2007 unfortunately.

I've read through:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/594666-ktm-200-year-model-changes

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/412304-2002-ktm-200exc-any-problems/

From what I can tell there was a chassis/engine update (lighter) but the FAQ seems to indicate that's only for 250/300? I'm just not sure if anything big happened for the 2007+, in the 'year model changes' thread, fletchman919 wrote:

Between '05 and '07, the suspension was the biggest change I think. I wouldn't pass on a good deal on anything from '04 and newer. 

I'm just wondering if the difference between the 2002 and 2009 is really that much to justify the cost if the older bike is still in excellent condition?

--

I'm a reasonably light person, 150lbs, not insanely aggressive and want the bike for light trails/woods and also the odd commute through town  :ride:

Any advice/opinions from 200 owners of various years would be so greatly appreciated.

Edited by kershaw

If it were me I'd pony up for the 09. The chassis and suspension updates are worth it imo.

They are both good bikes, tough call...

• Like 1

I would go for the newer bike.  The term "training" bike leaves me wondering.  I have 3 bikes and my main Race bike probably gets the most attention of all of them.  But you will tell a definite difference between the 2 chassis.  An 09' still feels very modern whereas an 02' wont  

Thanks for the feedback so far. I just really wonder if it could be that drastic of a difference for what is nearly double the cost, especially as I won't be racing it or anything like that. Is there any difference in the low-rpm power band or things like that regarding the engine? Or is it primarily chassis/suspension changes?

I have 3 200's in the pen.  03 200 SX and 09 200 XC and a 2014 150 linkage to 200 conversion.  The 03 and 09 are lightyears apart when in the woods.  The 03 has been dialed best as can with the suspension but the 09 is just better period.  If what you are looking at is an 09 200XC that is the last year and regarded by some to be the best 200 to date.  My 14 150/200 is just different, very smooth and plush. Pony up for the new bike. You will NOT regret it.  Very nice bike.

I have 3 200's in the pen.  03 200 SX and 09 200 XC and a 2014 150 linkage to 200 conversion.  The 03 and 09 are lightyears apart when in the woods.  The 03 has been dialed best as can with the suspension but the 09 is just better period.  If what you are looking at is an 09 200XC that is the last year and regarded by some to be the best 200 to date.  My 14 150/200 is just different, very smooth and plush. Pony up for the new bike. You will NOT regret it.  Very nice bike.

Hey, just ordered those head stays...small world lol.

Own an 09, have ridden a buddy's 02.  Newer is MUCH better overall...

Not to thread jack, but I have an 07 200xcw, would it be a mistake to sell it and buy an 02?

I am loving my new 200 so much that I think I want it ride it year round.

I'm in California so anything above an 02 is red stickered.

Not a big difference overall. I have a 03 and have owned up to 08s (other models) there both PDS with apx 12" of travel.

Thanks everyone for the surprisingly unanimous response. I've made arrangements to pick up the '09 (actually the '02 at its amazing price/condition sold before I could even get back to it anyhow).

I'll post a pic and quick review when it's mine :)

• Like 1